On sleeping through the night... - Page 3 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#61 of 67 Old 03-02-2009, 10:59 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ihugtrees View Post
I've been reading on this board for awhile now, and I keep seeing post after post about people with children who are 12, 14, 18 months old and who wake up several times a night to nurse. I hope I don't come across as rude or mean, because I don't mean it that way at all...but IRL, I've never met anyone who's child didn't sleep 8 hours a night by the time they were 8 or 10 months old...most were sleeping through the night by 5 or 6 months. And I've met a LOT of children, having been babysitting for 12 years and nannying for 4 years.

Is this a co-sleeping thing? Is it a breastfeeding thing? Is it not giving solids until later? Or has every single child I've ever babysat or nannied for had to CIO night after night until they learned to just sleep 8 hours?
Keep in mind that those who frequent this board are often having problems with their child's sleep. That's likely the reason most people are posting on this board. Those whose children sleep through the night probably don't visit this board. I'm sure there are children who have never been CIO'd who slept reasonably well from early on.

Kim mama to DS 12/2005, Pepper kitty , and 10/03, 1/05;
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#62 of 67 Old 03-02-2009, 02:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ihugtrees View Post
Or has every single child I've ever babysat or nannied for had to CIO night after night until they learned to just sleep 8 hours?
And CIO doesn't really teach babies to sleep. It just teaches them that nobody is coming to help them. Whether they are actually sleeping when they are by themselves for that long is often unknown. The parents will often presume they are sleeping all night, when actually they may not be. They may have just stopped calling out because they have learned that nobody is available for them.

Kim mama to DS 12/2005, Pepper kitty , and 10/03, 1/05;
#63 of 67 Old 03-02-2009, 05:55 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by KimPM View Post
And CIO doesn't really teach babies to sleep. It just teaches them that nobody is coming to help them. Whether they are actually sleeping when they are by themselves for that long is often unknown. The parents will often presume they are sleeping all night, when actually they may not be. They may have just stopped calling out because they have learned that nobody is available for them.
That is a very sad thought, and it had never occurred to me.
#64 of 67 Old 03-03-2009, 01:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamazee View Post
That is a very sad thought, and it had never occurred to me.
And it is absolutely true.

Megan-39, Postpartum Doula, DW to Sacha-40 (18 years together) and Mama to Finn Alexander born 4/2/07 and Zivia Littlewood born 8/23/10

#65 of 67 Old 03-03-2009, 01:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by samanthaspagirl View Post
Since I'm new here, let me start out by saying that I'm still b/fing DS & I'm a SAHM...DS is SO happy & pleasant ALL day long...I can take him everywhere with me & almost never have to worry about a scene! The TV is never on (except to watch Sesame St) & we play, read, explore & I chase after him all day! He is never neglected, yet his sleep pattern is worse than ever.

I feed DS 1 hr before bed & our routine is at 7:30, bed 8pm...he nurses to sleep & I put him down in his crib...for awhile, he was sleeping till around 4am, but this past month he wakes between 9pm & 12am...I nurse him for comfort, but usually after a 11 or 12am waking, he won't go back down, so I bring him to bed w/ me. Also this past month, he won't nurse to sleep in bed...he scratches at my face, pulls my hair, kicks me or starts screaming...some nights he's wide awake staring at DH & I....I've tried every piece of advice from friends & drs, so since I'm a new mag subscriber, now I'm looking here!!!
I'm in the same boat with a 14 mo old. She has slept up to 7 hours, but now if she sleeps 3 I start sweating, thinking she's dead...
I mentioned it to DD's very pro-BFing, AP ped last week. He hates CIO and recommended what worked for his family when their DD was around this age. (They didn't co-sleep). When baby woke to cuddle with mom, dad went in. Baby was mad and cried for a few hours in dad's arms. Then woke up again and cried in dad's arms for shorter periods. The next night babe slept all night, because she knew she would keep getting stuck with dad. He said I shouldn't nurse her until the sun is up.
Once I convince DH to sacrifice his weekend I'll post our results...
#66 of 67 Old 03-03-2009, 05:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyCatherine185 View Post
there are some babies that can be easily "taught" to sttn early I'm sure. But there are also some that can. not. sleep. on. their. own. no matter how hard you try to 'teach' them. i think a lot of sttn has to do with the baby's temperament and not with how we parent.
Amen to that!

Wife & Momma to Echo 2/20/08 and HP 6/11/13
#67 of 67 Old 03-04-2009, 01:04 AM

Great posts, mamas.
Thank you for sharing your ideas and experiences - I think the issues in this thread are at the heart of about 90% of the threads on this topic. Even the most committed AP has moments of self-doubt when people they respect praise the wonders of CIO ... this thread is a good reminder of the normalcy of that self-doubt ... and the importance of nighttime parenting.
Thanks so much.

SAHM mama to DD1 (2008) and DD2 (2012).

love is a place / & through this place of / love move / (with brightness of peace) / all places
yes is a world / & in this world of / yes live / (skilfully curled) / all worlds [e e cummings]

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page