On sleeping through the night... - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 67 Old 02-26-2009, 12:29 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I've been reading on this board for awhile now, and I keep seeing post after post about people with children who are 12, 14, 18 months old and who wake up several times a night to nurse. I hope I don't come across as rude or mean, because I don't mean it that way at all...but IRL, I've never met anyone who's child didn't sleep 8 hours a night by the time they were 8 or 10 months old...most were sleeping through the night by 5 or 6 months. And I've met a LOT of children, having been babysitting for 12 years and nannying for 4 years.

Is this a co-sleeping thing? Is it a breastfeeding thing? Is it not giving solids until later? Or has every single child I've ever babysat or nannied for had to CIO night after night until they learned to just sleep 8 hours?

Single mama to S ~ 6/09

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 67 Old 02-26-2009, 12:31 AM

My son still wakes once a night (or more) and he is one, I have met more people with toddlers that wake rather than ones who dont. My son is now off breastmilk, onto cows milk and solids and he STILL wakes. He is not hungry at these wakings and just wants comfort, which is fine with me...he is still so little, one is not old IMO. Now if he is still waking when he is 5, that maybe a different story.

Mummy to Samuel 02/08 and new baby Molly- 04/10
#3 of 67 Old 02-26-2009, 12:40 AM

Quote:
Is this a co-sleeping thing?
Maybe

Quote:
Is it a breastfeeding thing?
Maybe

Quote:
Is it not giving solids until later?
Possibly

Quote:
Or has every single child I've ever babysat or nannied for had to CIO night after night until they learned to just sleep 8 hours?
Probably.....just kidding!

[COLOR="royalblue"]

My DS is almost 4 1/2 years old and he has nightwakings about 5-6 nights per week. My DD is 26 months and still nurses (and co-sleeps) and she wakes to nurse 2-4 times a night.

I have eight nieces and nephews who didn't sleep thru the night without wakings until at least two y.o., at the earliest, and five/six at the latest.

IRL, every child I know that does sleep 8+ hours per night before age two has been thru CIO. Sad, but true.

I think a lot has to do with a child's individual temperament and personality. Breastfeeding could play a part as it is more easily digested than formula. But probably more than breastfeeding, it is that the baby is used to mama comforting back to sleep.

Babies are only little for a short period of time so it doesn't bother me that much (at least the first 18 months, I am getting a little tired of it with my 26-month old ).

Mama to DS 10/04, DD 12/06, and DD 11/09 my baby
Missing DS 10/08
#4 of 67 Old 02-26-2009, 12:41 AM

I never told people(strangers or acquaintances) that my kids weren't sleeping through the night. If anyone asked "Is he/she sleeping through the night?" I'd usually just say yes and move on. Also, my first was the only one that I actually had problems with as far as his sleep and nursing through the night. The other 2 were much easier, and I was much more rested.

Funny enough, I seem to meet/talk to more people IRL that volunteer the information that their children didn't sleep through the night until 1 or 2+ years. LOL That never used to happen even a few years ago. Maybe people are just being more open nowadays, or maybe it's because I moved to a different area.

But I do actually have a baby that sleeps through the night, currently. For now, anyway!
#5 of 67 Old 02-26-2009, 12:45 AM

From 0-3 months my son slept though and he was breastfed and we didnt do CIO....then he stopped

#6 of 67 Old 02-26-2009, 12:45 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I know one family whose children have slept through the night, but they were Babywisers. Something I would never do to a kid--
most of the parents I know have at least one wake a night--usually to nurse or get a love. My dd will usually (when not ill or something) go to sleep with the boob around 8:30, then pop up again around 10 or 11 for "the other side", then be down for the night. I do not refer to this as "sleeping through the night" as she is waking at least once during her sleep. Many parents I know would really call it sleeping through tho. I think it all depends on what people think of it and whether they want bragging rights. I personally never set it as a goal as I saw it as not conducive to good bfing--at least in the early days.
#7 of 67 Old 02-26-2009, 12:54 AM

medically isnt 'sleeping through the night' 5 hours of consecutive sleep?!

#8 of 67 Old 02-26-2009, 12:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sophieslion View Post
I think I've always heard/read that it's 6 consecutive hours.
#9 of 67 Old 02-26-2009, 01:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JavaJunkie View Post
I think I've always heard/read that it's 6 consecutive hours.
well then I guess my Samuel does sleep though...even though he is awake at 2am poking my eyes with his stubby finger

#10 of 67 Old 02-26-2009, 02:33 AM

Quote:
From 0-3 months my son slept though and he was breastfed and we didnt do CIO....then he stopped
Same thing here. Our son was sleeping through the night (medically defined as 5 hours straight) by 2 months. At 3 months he started suddenly sleeping 9-11 hours. At 4 months he went back to waking every two hours and he still wakes often at almost 2.

Megan-39, Postpartum Doula, DW to Sacha-40 (18 years together) and Mama to Finn Alexander born 4/2/07 and Zivia Littlewood born 8/23/10

#11 of 67 Old 02-26-2009, 08:05 AM

I was a cot-baby, so was my brother. We were both mostly bottle-fed and had dummies. We never slept with our parents, well not until we were 7 and 9 and then we did for some years but that's another story. My brother was left to CIO out at 7 months and then STTN, I apparently never cried, I was in the same room as my brother.

I think if a child never knows the comfort of Mama and breast-feeding and has always slept alone, then they are far more likely to sleep longer stretches with some encouragement from CIO. THat is why Gina Ford is always saying "put the baby down drowsy, do not let the baby fall asleep on the nipple/in your arms" so that that baby is never allowed to do what comes naturally. That is 'modern-parenting' for you.

So I would say yes, most of these babies have had a degree of CIO. But babies are not supposed to sleep alone, think of it from a survival point of view, if a baby just fell asleep anywhere without trouble, instead of being close to Mum or some kind of warmth it could well get eaten, die of cold etc.

You never see puppies or kittens sleeping alone from their mothers. Imagine if they did in the wild, they just fell asleep in a little basket Mommy cat had prepared for them and didn't cry once she went to her 'room'. More than likely a predator, like a fox, would come along and eat them. It's the same for all primates, they never sleep alone from their young, except Western man.

All the babies in the groups I go to have had some form of controlled crying and they all STTN.

For a baby the most comforting thing in the world is being on the breast and being allowed to fall back to sleep. Well that's what DD seems to like anyway! And she lets me know that roughly 7 to 8 times a night! Yes they do wake regularly - again, maybe it's a survival thing to check Mom is still there. I don't know. Presumably you can train this out of a baby as CIO shows.
#12 of 67 Old 02-26-2009, 12:42 PM

I get the impression that most parents do use CIO. The AAP recommends it, and I would bet that most pediatricians do too.

lady.gifMama to DS banana.gif(5) and DD broc1.gif(2)

#13 of 67 Old 02-26-2009, 04:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by liliaceae View Post
I get the impression that most parents do use CIO. The AAP recommends it, and I would bet that most pediatricians do too.
My doc did. My dd has never slept through the night and she's 7 1/2 mos. old. My BF's baby didn't sleep through the night until well after a year. I agree with the pp about some babies not knowing or being weaned VERY early from the comfort of mom's breast or the comfort of falling asleep in loving arms.
#14 of 67 Old 02-26-2009, 05:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by liliaceae View Post
The AAP recommends it????

Catie belly.gif- Happy wife to Aaron stillheart.gif(01.05), mama to Liambikenew.gif(08.08), and Ian jammin.gif (11.10)! homebirth.jpgnocirc.giffamilybed1.gif and joy.gif due Feb 2013 with blessing #3!

#15 of 67 Old 02-26-2009, 05:24 PM

I'm betting CIO. I'm having the worst time every getting my son to sleep through the night. To the point that it's starting to scare me how little sleep I'm getting. I researched all forms of CIO because, well, frankly, I can't live like this anymore. I seriously can't fathom living like this another few months. I get maybe 4 hours of sleep a night, sometimes 5 and none of that is consecutive.

So anyway, it surprised me HOW many people CIO. Everyone I know, even people who are super crunchy AP parents do it eventually. I've had 3 dr's tell me to do it. All the statistics of stuff I looked up online were crazy. Like 87% of parents do a ferber like method of CIO.

After reading everything about it, and how it probably will work but then your child won't need you anymore for comforting, I couldn't do it. I have moved him to his own bed in our room and I basically stand there and rub his back while sleeping on my feet all night. IT was working great and I got 4 straight hours of sleep! but now he's super sick, back in our bed, and back to not sleeping.

Sorry for the tangent Im really sleepy.
#16 of 67 Old 02-26-2009, 05:31 PM

Quote:
I've recently read it to be 5 hours (author of No-Cry Sleep Solution).

Doula Mama to DD (5/08) and DS (5/10) who taught her, in their births, the true meaning of surrender.
#17 of 67 Old 02-26-2009, 05:52 PM

I haven't read the other responses.

Quote:
Is this a co-sleeping thing? Is it a breastfeeding thing? Is it not giving solids until later? Or has every single child I've ever babysat or nannied for had to CIO night after night until they learned to just sleep 8 hours?
We coslept (at least part time) with both of our kids until well after they were 1. My oldest didn't sleep through the night until he was 19 months old. And we tried everything, short of cio. He's now almost 7 and sleeps like the dead and is impossible to wake up. My youngest didn't sleep through until we night weaned him around a year. He's now almost 3 and again, sleeps like the dead.

I know kids who sleep really well and kids who don't, who've been bfed, coslept, whatever and there isn't a majority who sleeps through the night. It varies so much from kid to kid.
#18 of 67 Old 02-26-2009, 06:03 PM

Since I'm new here, let me start out by saying that I'm still b/fing DS & I'm a SAHM...DS is SO happy & pleasant ALL day long...I can take him everywhere with me & almost never have to worry about a scene! The TV is never on (except to watch Sesame St) & we play, read, explore & I chase after him all day! He is never neglected, yet his sleep pattern is worse than ever.

I feed DS 1 hr before bed & our routine is at 7:30, bed 8pm...he nurses to sleep & I put him down in his crib...for awhile, he was sleeping till around 4am, but this past month he wakes between 9pm & 12am...I nurse him for comfort, but usually after a 11 or 12am waking, he won't go back down, so I bring him to bed w/ me. Also this past month, he won't nurse to sleep in bed...he scratches at my face, pulls my hair, kicks me or starts screaming...some nights he's wide awake staring at DH & I....I've tried every piece of advice from friends & drs, so since I'm a new mag subscriber, now I'm looking here!!!
#19 of 67 Old 02-26-2009, 06:11 PM

maybe there is a reason to all of this? (most) babies and young children don't sleep all at once (night) and need several naps during the day.... why? was nighttime always for sleeping and daytime always for working? at what age, if ever, should parents 'help' their kids sttn? would we as adults still sleep like babies if left to sleep when we vneeded/wanted? is this a cultural thing??

Catie belly.gif- Happy wife to Aaron stillheart.gif(01.05), mama to Liambikenew.gif(08.08), and Ian jammin.gif (11.10)! homebirth.jpgnocirc.giffamilybed1.gif and joy.gif due Feb 2013 with blessing #3!

#20 of 67 Old 02-26-2009, 06:15 PM

We had to FF, but we cosleep. He started sleeping all night just recently (he's 1) once we started to cut down on the night feeds. Now he doesn't even bother. He did sleep through the night around 3 months, but started night waking around 6 months due to separation anxiety..that's when we started cosleeping.
#21 of 67 Old 02-26-2009, 08:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyCatherine185 View Post
The AAP recommends it????
Yep. Sad, isn't it? No wonder so many parents are doing it.

#22 of 67 Old 02-26-2009, 08:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by samanthaspagirl View Post
Since I'm new here, let me start out by saying that I'm still b/fing DS & I'm a SAHM...DS is SO happy & pleasant ALL day long...I can take him everywhere with me & almost never have to worry about a scene! The TV is never on (except to watch Sesame St) & we play, read, explore & I chase after him all day! He is never neglected, yet his sleep pattern is worse than ever.

I feed DS 1 hr before bed & our routine is at 7:30, bed 8pm...he nurses to sleep & I put him down in his crib...for awhile, he was sleeping till around 4am, but this past month he wakes between 9pm & 12am...I nurse him for comfort, but usually after a 11 or 12am waking, he won't go back down, so I bring him to bed w/ me. Also this past month, he won't nurse to sleep in bed...he scratches at my face, pulls my hair, kicks me or starts screaming...some nights he's wide awake staring at DH & I....I've tried every piece of advice from friends & drs, so since I'm a new mag subscriber, now I'm looking here!!!
You might want to post this in a new thread in order to get a better response.

#23 of 67 Old 02-26-2009, 10:32 PM

I think some form of CIO is the norm. I had no idea when I got pregnant that there was another option. Of course, that's when I found my midwife and started reading Mothering so me and my husband decided to use AP methods and not CIO. But, all of my friends used a form of CIO. I don't knwo if there babies sleep through the night, but there is no question that they let their babies cry. They all thought I was crazy while they raved about their newfound love of Babywise.
#24 of 67 Old 02-27-2009, 01:17 AM
Banned

My parents did CIO with me and my sister. I don't think I really cried that much actually and I was a good sleeper but I never expected motherly comforting during the night. I need to point out that I have a great mother she just believed what she was told - that cosleeping would make me a spoiled monster.

When I was 6 years old I started being terrified of sleep. I remember this clearly. I could barely tell time but I knew what the clock looked like at bedtime and I can still feel the dread. I got up repeatedly and woke my parents. They put me back in bed. They even spanked me (once again, it was the 70s my parents are not horrible). When I woke them up again and again despite all this they knew I wasn't being "bad." My mom actually called CPS about it (imagine a time when you could do that?). They sent me to a neurologist and a psychiatrist. No one could find anything wrong with me. It kept getting worse. My dad started sleeping on the floor beside my bed because they were SO afraid of cosleeping. My whole family was breaking down from this.

One morning my mom woke up and realized I hadn't awakened them all night. I wasn't in my bed. I was sleeping peacefully in my younger sisters bed. I stayed there until I was 13 when I weaned on my own.

When I hear talk shows say that a 7 year old is "manipulating" their parents and being brats I want to cry. I can feel the REAL distress of a kid that can't sleep. I NEEDED nighttime comforting. I needed to cosleep. I got that with my sister luckily or I don't know what would have happened.

My question has always been if I had coslept as a baby would I have ever had this late on-set problem? I honestly still have trouble sleeping alone and I'm 33.

CIO might work but at what cost?

Sorry for the ramble just wanted to share my story.
#25 of 67 Old 02-27-2009, 01:59 AM

wow...I can honestly say that my 1 year old son has never cried for more than 2 minutes before I went to him....in his whole life. We have never, ever done anyform of CIO-not even close and he will sleep from 7-2:30am in his crib, wakes-fusses (he is still in our room) and then he comes into bed with me to co-sleep until 7:30am. The longest he has cried was however long it took me to brush my teeth and pee
I read the 'no cry sleep solution' and it made me cry to see what CIO does to a little ones body and brain...

#26 of 67 Old 02-27-2009, 07:52 AM

Paige C - it's interesting what you write about your experience as a child. It was similar for us, my parents just followed Dr Spock, it was there in black and white - use CIO.

And I should add, my Mum is the best Mum in the world, truly. We have a wonderful relationship and she has been very supportive of my decision to co-sleep with DD. She just didn't know with us.

We also regressed due to night-time fears, for me I was around 5 years old I became really scared and knew I could not wake my parents. I used to lie in bed sweating from heat and fear, the blankets wrapped right up to my neck so the 'monsters' couldn't reach me.

In the end my brother and I slept with my Mum for years and then slept in the same room together till we were teenagers too.

This kind of regression is really common in older kids who don't co-sleep - ref: Deborah Jackson "Three in a Bed".
#27 of 67 Old 02-27-2009, 10:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlicesMama View Post
We also regressed due to night-time fears, for me I was around 5 years old I became really scared and knew I could not wake my parents. I used to lie in bed sweating from heat and fear, the blankets wrapped right up to my neck so the 'monsters' couldn't reach me.
I did the same thing! None of us ever coslept, and I never did CIO, but I was night-weaned abruptly at 9 months old (she held me while I cried myself to sleep with no milkies).

My younger brother STTN early on, on his own, but as a young child up until he was 11-12 would sneak into my parents room and get in bed (on my mom's side, my dad would have sent him back to bed) with them.

I would much rather have a sweet tiny baby sleeping with me than a 12 year old!

On another note, my BIL makes all 4 of his kids CIO (ages 5,4,2, 9 mo) and all but the 5 yo have terrible sleeping issues. They even did the go in and spank with the 4 yo at one point. I think now they just let them cry from X time to X time and don't worry about it....

#28 of 67 Old 02-27-2009, 10:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JavaJunkie View Post
I never told people(strangers or acquaintances) that my kids weren't sleeping through the night. If anyone asked "Is he/she sleeping through the night?" I'd usually just say yes and move on.
This is a good point. I always tell people that DD is sleeping fine at night when they ask. And she is in my opinion. A baby that sleeps from 11pm until 9am or later every night waking only briefly to nurse 2-3 times a night, without needing anything other than the breast to fall immediately back to sleep IS sleeping extremely well. If they ask follow up questions the person may find out exactly what I mean when I say that DD is a good sleeper. But most don't so I guess they have been assuming that she sleeps all night without eating since she was less than a month old. :

''''

#29 of 67 Old 02-27-2009, 02:32 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Odd both my children have always sttn..both starting at 3 months sleeping from 7p-6am with no cio. It was just an understood thing..when its dark you sleep when its light you wake. both my babies were big babies at 3months weighing 15 pounds so they didnt eat at night ..they slept in their own rooms with fans on and never had a problem, they slept terrible with us. we tried. but they wanted their own sleep spaces lol. occasionally they would wake when hungry for a small snack or teething or thirsty or bad dreams but they always went right back to sleep within 10 mins of comfort. Mama says:you sleep at night, you wake in the day. Thats the rule in our house lol and i guess they didnt argue it.

Me and my wonderful husband serve God. Blessed with twin girls 2/11/11. <3

#30 of 67 Old 02-27-2009, 02:52 PM

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
I have never used CIO and have bedshared and bf'ed on demand with all five of my children. They have *all* STTN from 4 weeks on. What this means... dd4 is currently 12 weeks old. She sleeps from around 7 at night till around 7 in the morning with one wake for a change and a meal at sometime between 3-5. During the rest of the night she might fuss for the breast but doesn't wake up - doesn't open her eyes or anything, just moving around looking for me.

Personally, I don't expect more from my children than I do from myself. I wake to use the bathroom, get a drink, find my husband to curl up with, etc... I expect that my children will do the same. But as far as the up for two or three hours at a time or whatever, it has never been an issue for us.

I asked my aunt and mom yesterday, and bedsharing is the norm for my family, and they both said the same thing, although they ff'ed. Maybe it is just a genetic thing.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page