Started DrJayGordon nightweaning program - Page 2 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 01-19-2004, 05:30 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Is anyone doing this using a lovey (blanket/stuffed animal) or using any white noise or anything?
I introduced a stuffed bear and initially it took some tome for her to snuggle with it. How I started was, when she would wake crying to nurse I would have the bear "smell" her feet and faint. She thoguht that as very funny and a few nights we were up for more then hour playing but not nursing. Now she sems to really like that bear. We haven't been up playing or nursing for 4 nights now. She does need reminders to lay down but she goes right back to sleep. Hoipefully no surprises are down the road (teeth, colds) and we can continue on this path to sleepdom.

I do play a lullabuy CD that my mom made for us,too. I don't know if thaty helps or not b/c sometimes for naps I forget to turn it on and she goes right to sleep anyway.

The first rule of homeschooling: water the plants! :
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-19-2004, 09:16 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Thanks for your reply, hipumpkins, and again, glad to see others here with some commiseration and cameraderie!

Another question.... is anyone using any water for the nights when baby wakes and is allowed to nurse before being put down awake... is anyone using water for the first night, if requested, of the non nursing when you wake nights?

Just wondering. I dont recall the site mentioning that aspect, and how to know if they are really thirsty.

I plan on offering water or nursing if she wakes the first 3 nights, hut wondered what your thoughts were.

Tonight is night one. We ought to take turns napping this evening before it starts.....
Old 01-20-2004, 01:39 AM

Since nightweaning, my son always takes a sippy cup of water to bed with him. I don't think it is a bad thing...
We also use a white noise machine (we ordered it from earplugstore.com - it is excellent).

Good luck everyone - it really will get better.

Emma
Old 01-20-2004, 03:44 AM

Hi mamas. I've been following along reading how everyone's doing and decided to check in, let you know I'm cheering for you. I've yet to start the program. Ds is asleep in the sling right now. That's how he goes down for every nap and night. Unless it's a really challenging day and we get in the car. I guess part of me is just not that confident that this program will work for us. I've tried comforting ds when he wakes, holding him, rocking him etc and while it has worked in the past occasionally lately it's not working at all...gotta go he just woke up, more later.
Old 01-20-2004, 12:26 PM

I nursed Lily down at 11 last night and laid her in the crib. SHe has taken naps there and spent part of nights there, so it is not a strange place.

She woke at 11:45. I nursed her a little, sang to her, my husband "shhhhhhh-ed" her, we laid her down, she popped back up, we started it over again. Took about 45 minutes, and I really think she fell asleep at the breast when I laid her in and she stayed asleep.

She woke about 3:50. I nursed her a good, long time. We sang, we hugged and held and rocked and shhhh-ed. Repeat. I think about 20 minutes into it I told her I wasnt going to nurse her and I started singing to her. I first sang Old Macdonald, then Twinkle Twinkle, then Baa Baa Black Sheep, then the kids praise song "Deep and Wide". It seemed to work well for us if I sang to her while I held her, and then when I laid her in the crib, I had a hand on her tummy and her back. I slowly took the one hand out from under her, and left the other on her belly and sang more and covered her up. It worked. Took about 45 minutes again.

If she'd awakened at 6, Id have brought her into bed. She woke at 8:05!!!! I brought her into bed after telling her what a good sleeper she was, then we nursed and slept for an hour.

So that was night one.
Old 01-20-2004, 05:07 PM

We started 3 nights ago. I thought, like ging-ging, that this would be a good chance to get Aaron 100% in his crib, but I've revised that, and I think it was too many changes at once for him. I spent 3 hours one evening trying to get him in his crib (either asleep or awake!) until my DH told me to bring him to bed so I could get some sleep. He's been going down to sleep at 8:00, and not waking until 3:00. At that time, he comes to our bed - it seems it's more the cuddles than the nursing he wants. Both nights, he's awoken wanting to nurse around 4:00, and getting a little angry that I won't nurse him, but after about 15 minutes he is falling back asleep. Overall, I'm impressed iwth how well it's going!
Old 01-20-2004, 08:58 PM

I posted on here awhile back....happy to report that its worked! Ds slept from 8-6:30 last night in a floor bed in the next room. We didn't do quite the way Dr. Gordon did it - basically we put him to sleep in the floor bed and then dh when in an patted him to sleep when he woke. After several weeks, he stopped waking up.

"We shape the clay into a pot but it is the emptiness inside that holds whatever we want" Lao Tzu
Old 01-20-2004, 09:20 PM

I am very happy with our progress in nightweaning. DD has been sleeping a good 7-8 hours with no nursing. She still wakes up on occassion, but I just tell her the milk is all gone and she lays down and goes to sleep. It doesn't work after the 7 hours are up - she's hungry or thirsty I guess.

I gave her some water the first few nights of no nursing. She took it fine. Now when I offer she refuses. If I ever manage to get her in her crib more often I will definately leave her with a sippy cup of water.

Happy sleeping!
Old 01-22-2004, 10:47 AM

well, our turn with the stomach virus is giving us some interruption to the magic 10 day plan, but I am alreadyseeing positive results from our decision to night wean.

Night before last, Lily got sick at 11:00 pm. I rocked her to sleep, and put her in her crib. She woke again not long after that and we were able to comfort her to sleep in 15 minutes, with not much crying in arms at all. She settled into the rocking and swaying and was fine. I put her down drowsy, and she fell asleep. When she woke around 4, she gagged and retched a little, so I figured she really had a virus. I went to the living room with her and we were in the recliner the rest of the night. She didnt nurse till 8:30 or so yesterday morning.

She seemed fine all day yesterday, ate lunch, a bit of supper, I nursed her down at 11. SHe woke around midnight and my husband rocked and swayed and shushed her. Took longer, but she settled in about 20 minutes. When she woke at 4:30, she spat up milk, so I took her into the guest bedroom and laid with her. I sang to her while she was next to me and she drifted off after being told that "ging-ging went night night".

At 630, my older DD woke with the stomach bug. so we'll see how we all feel tonight and decide how to progress. Lily is fine from the bug now, but Im not sure how Rob and I will be! :-P
Old 01-22-2004, 03:33 PM

Hey sleepless moms can I make a suggestion? I recieved words of wisdom from a mother that suggested, nurse baby (about 15 months) to sleep, but inform the child no more milk untill morning. The child will wake up asking for milk and crying but you refuse, hold them, and tell them when the sun wakes up and you can see the trees outside you may have milk. 3 nights of fussing and then the child gets the picture. I know other moms that have has success with this too. My girl still wakes up and ask (2 years old), but I ask her do you see the sun light? she understands and just wants to be held and we fall fast to sleep. Good Luck. Carrie
Old 01-22-2004, 04:50 PM

I'm sure you all know this but I just wanted to remind everyone to watch your child to make sure they are handling this alright. I tried to nightwean my daughter at 11 months because she was waking every hour all night. She seemed very distraught during the day, cried more and clung to me more. This showed me that she really wasn't ready. She is 14.5 months now and sleeping much better but by her own doing. She usually wakes 2-4 times and I can handle that. If it works for you great but just remember that it may be hard on your little one.

Shawna, married to Michael, mommy to Elijah 1/18/01, Olivia 11/9/02, and Eliana 1/22/06
Old 01-23-2004, 01:50 AM

My son is a week shy of 9 months and has been night weaned for a couple weeks. He is a healthy little chunk of a boy, very very active, already standing alone and threatening to walk. He was exclusively breastfed on demand until 6 months. We added solids according to Super Baby Foods and he eats everything we give him and it's all very healthy. He is still being breastfed 4-6 times per day and then goes about 10 hours at night without nursing. Our problem is that despite being night weaned, he still wakes up 4-8 times a night. This is nothing new. He has been waking multiple times since he was about 4 months old (before that he was a heavenly sleeper) but we thought the night weaning would help and it hasn't. I know some people say he is too young to be night weaned, but I know he is not hungry. I can go to him, hold him right on my chest and he doesn't cry or want to nurse, he is just awake. He sleeps in his crib in his room, but that is only about 15 feet from my bedside. When he wakes my husband or I go in immediately and pat him, sing, shush, etc. I pick him up if he is already standing up and then lay him right back down. He doesn't protest this too much and really seems to be trying to go back to sleep. He has a little stuffed lovey that he holds, but can sleep without it too. He can definitely fall asleep w/o nursing, and can fall asleep in his crib (with one of us next to him) but he cannot STAY asleep. We have tried putting him in our bed, but I guess the novelty of it is too much for him. He crawls all around.

He also is a very short napper. He typically takes 2 naps a day (usually falling asleep w/o nursing) but they are only 20 minutes each. Sometimes after he wakes I can pick him up and rock him back to sleep or nurse him back to sleep and then he will stay asleep an hour or even two, as long as I am holding him.

What to do??? We will never (we think) let him CIO. I just keep wondering WHY he wakes up so often. Sounds like lots of other babies do too, from reading these boards. Still, any advice would be great.

Oh, one more thing, how do you use Dr. Gordon's method when the child is standing/sitting in the bed. You aren't supposed to pick him up, just rub or pat, but there he is standing. Could someone pls clarify that detail?

Thanks very much.
HB's Mom
Old 01-26-2004, 10:13 PM

we had a bout with a stomach virus last week that interrupted things. We didnt stop really, but altered and slowed the plan. Lily has not been nursing between 11 and 6. She goes down asleep in her crib. If she wakes before about 3 in the morning, we comfort her back to sleep in the crib with shushing and singing and swaying. If she wakes up around 3 of 4, I take her into the guest bedroom and we sleep, but I sing her back to sleep rather than nurse her. She fusses when my husband puts her back to sleep in the crib, but maybe 10-15 minutes, while he holds or pats her. And she doesnt fuss when I lay her next to me, she goes right back to sleep while I sing.

So here soon we will move to the no picking up part, having just gotten past the stomach thing on Friday. I'll see if I want her to totally stay in the crib, or if Im okay with getting her out if it's the middle of the night.
Old 01-26-2004, 10:30 PM

Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally posted by laurag
Hey sleepless moms can I make a suggestion? I recieved words of wisdom from a mother that suggested, nurse baby (about 15 months) to sleep, but inform the child no more milk untill morning. The child will wake up asking for milk and crying but you refuse, hold them, and tell them when the sun wakes up and you can see the trees outside you may have milk. 3 nights of fussing and then the child gets the picture. I know other moms that have has success with this too. My girl still wakes up and ask (2 years old), but I ask her do you see the sun light? she understands and just wants to be held and we fall fast to sleep. Good Luck. Carrie

3 nights? Wow, that kid must have been ready for it. I have been trying for months, and I think he's finally really ready. He is 13 months now and mostly just sucks for a minute or two then rolls over and settles down. No more endless sucking all night long. Sometimes he doesn't even want to nurse, he just wants me to help him find a more comfortable position. I'm trying the No Cry Sleep solution techniques again, which didn't work well before. I think he wasn't ready. The pull off, not responding until he's really awake, not feeding a sleeping baby all are starting to work now. I'm about to impose a shorter period of no-nursing, not 7 hours, but maybe 4 or 5, between 11 or 12 and 4am or so. These seem to be the hours he wakes up the least. He is down to 3-5 wakings from 8-10 though, but I am not sure it is anything I did or not!

Sleepy mom of two (DS-11, DD-8). 5 lost: 9/2004, 3/2005, 3/2013, 8/2014, ectopic loss @ 6 weeks 11/2014
Old 01-27-2004, 12:14 AM

HB's Mom

My DD (almost 15 mos) stands up too. I have a crib that has a little door on it so when I go in I open the door and help her down to sleep. I can also lay my head next to her that way. I am short so I wouldn't be able to lay her down as easliy w/o that door but I guess what I m saying that a little genlte help back down didn't really interfere with our sleep "school"

Old 01-29-2004, 01:51 PM

Ok, last night was the worst night ever. I am so so sorry we had the stomach bug last week, because it just messed everything up.

Lily bellowed for 2 hours last night while I was trying to get her to sleep. She bucked and screamed and carried on. I felt like she was doing CIO!!! But I was right there. I couldnt do anything to calm her. It was crazy.

She took 45 minutes in the two times she was up the first night, and 15-20 when she was up the two times in following nights. Then we got the stomach bug. Then we started again, and it is so aweful.

Waaaaah! Anyone have this happen that it got worse before it got better?
Old 01-30-2004, 01:07 AM

Yes ging ging. It really was darkest beore the dawn. The last ngiht before she started sleeping 5 hours was the worst. She cried on and off for almost an hour. I did play with her to distract her...see if that slows the crying. Just make sure she isn't really needing to nurse as much as wanting to. I can tell the differnt cries and I can distract DD if she isn't really needing it as much as wanting it. A couple nights ago she woke up very upset and I nursed her b/c it wasn't the usual cry. She did not go back to old habits and still sleeping for at least 5 hours and last night it was 7.

User Tag List