How much does your 3month old sleep? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 3 Old 03-26-2009, 12:38 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
My daughter whos is almost 3 mos sleeps great at night. She goes to bed about 7:30 and sleeps through till about 7:30, waking up to nurse 2-4 times. However when she nurses its only for about 2 mins then right back to sleep, so IM getting lots of rest at night. But the catch is she cannot seem to nap during the day at all. I know she is tired. She gets that hysterical cry from being over tired and takes forever to comfort. Then, after dancing around the room until my legs and arms are sore, she finally falls asleep only to wake up 10 mins later. Today she napped for litterally only 20 mins all day. Should I be worried? What could this be from? Like I said, I know she wants to sleep,just cant seem to
#2 of 3 Old 03-26-2009, 02:21 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
WOW! It sounds like she is getting all her sleep at night. My dd is 4mnths, but her sleeping hasn't changed in the last month. She falls asleep around 1 am, and gets up about 9:30, and nurses at least 4X. So up at 9:30 then takes a couple hour nap a few hours later, like 11-1 or 2. Then up and maybe a cat nap in the evening. So IME I would say she's been getting her sleep at night, I mean thats 12 hours right there. Although none of my kids have been good sleepers, so maybe someone else can give you a better idea.

hearts.gifhearts.gifhearts.gifhearts.gifhearts.gif A house full of girls, but for dad and one brother bikenew.gif
"Be careful how you speak to your children. One day it will become their inner voice." ~ Peggy O' Mara
Cloth diapering, babywearing and co-sleeping has been a way of life for almost a decade now partners.gif
#3 of 3 Old 03-26-2009, 02:30 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I wonder if this is a normal developmental thing for 3-month olds?

DS just turned 3 months old last weekend. For the past couple of weeks, he has not been sleeping very well, particularly in the daytime. I thought it was a short phase, but now I'm not so sure because he is still doing it! At night, I'd nurse him at around 8pm and put him in his cosleeper, he'd sleep until about 2am then I'd pull him into bed with me and he'd nurse (while still pretty much asleep) every few hours until 8am. He used to take a 1hr nap in the morning, a 2 hour nap in the afternoon, and another 1 hour nap in the evening.

Now, he won't sleep more than 45 minutes before waking up crying! He hasn't been sleeping for long stretches at night anymore either. I've tried everything I can think of and I'm stumped. I wonder if he is just more aware and is waking up looking for me since we sleep together for part of the night.

Speaking of which, he's up again crying now....

ETA: I was thinking about it some more and I'm not so sure it is because your LO is getting a lot of sleep at night. My DD used to sleep for 12 hours at night and up until she was 4 years old, she still needed to nap during the day. They are growing and developing so quickly that their bodies need a lot of rest.

Marine ecologist wife to my kite-boarding soulmate and now a SAHM to Annabelle 8/02, 3 , and finally Willem 12/21/08!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page