Co-sleeping with older children - tell me I'm not crazy. - Page 3 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#61 of 62 Old 09-08-2011, 06:20 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
We actually just moved all the beds into one room. Two twins and a queen, the thing is they don't want to be in a separate room and I can't imagine it any other way. I don't like to be without them. Now if anyone asks why we're all in the same room, I just ask why they even care. Also my sister asked how we do the grown up dance with the kids around... and I told her that you only need a bed if you've recently had hip replacement. Geez! Add a little excitement to your life! Makes you have to think outside the box.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#62 of 62 Old 09-09-2011, 12:46 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I guess what I would like to hear is how do cosleeping families work around differing bedtimes.  Our daughters go to bed around 7:30 but me and DH don't retire till around 10:30 (and sometimes much later).  We also get up eariier than the girls at around 6:30 and DD2 doesn't wake until about 6:45-7:00 and DD1 not until 7:30-8:00.  If you're all sharing the same room, how do you go to bed without waking the LOs?  How do you get up and go about your morning ritual (stationary bike, bathroom, showering, etc.) without waking the LOs?  How do you deal with one child who rises (quite energetically!) earlier than the other(s)?  Our master bedroom has the traditional attached bathroom with no door.

Also, when DH and I go to bed, there's probably about 1/2 - 1 hr of bedtime ritual before actual lights out and sleeping.  Like bathroom, brushing teeth, washing faces, reading books, doing crosswords, little computer work, etc.  Both daughters were in our room in a co-sleeper until they were about 6-8 mos old before they went to their own room.  When our daughters were getting around 5 mos old, it became an ardurous task of tiptoeing around in VERY dim light trying to get ready for bed and trying to VERY quietly slip between the sheets so as to not wake the infant.  If we didn't do a good job, we had a crying baby who wasn't happy about being wakened.  We HAD to get them in their own room so that they could have undisturbed sleep.  So I'm very interested to hear how families work around these issues while maintaining a family bed.

Also, for those with a family bed, what about when someone's having a tough night (or week!) like sick, teething, etc.  Doesn't that ruin everyone's sleep for a while?

When DD1 was 3.5 and DD2 was 8 mos we had them sharing a room because we thought they'd like the company.  DD2's disruptive sleeping was making DD1 grouchy and irritable during the day because her own sleep was being negatively impacted, so we had to move DD2 into her own room.  We kept a pack-n-play in DD1's room in the hope/expectation that DD2 might spend some nights there once her sleeping was more regular (teething is a constant disrupter), but DD1 is ambivalent about having DD2 sleep in her room.  She asks for it, but if we attempt it she gets all out of sort during bedtime routine so we have to abort and put DD2 in her own room.  And DD2 seems to like having her own room and doesn't seem interested in sharing with her big sis.

I guess my question regarding that is how does anyone get a good night sleep with all the bodies so close together?  Seems like the more bodies you have the more potential for someone having issues on any given night and causing a problem for the whole family???  Just curious how this works out as I haven't really seen any posts addressing this.

Me, myself, not only didn't I cosleep with my parents but I remember having the feeling that I wasn't allowed in the parents room.  My folks divorced when I was 5, but neither household had any kind of "inviting" presence regarding the bedroom.  I love it now that my 4yo comes into our room upon waking and I get to see her morning face (and hair!) and I get to greet her with a smile.  I also would like our 4yo to sleep in our bed occasionally, but when I've tried she starts getting into our things (like playing with lotion or vasaline or nail files, whatever) while we're not in the room and I have to send her back to her own room.  And I can't have our 20mo daughter sleep with us because with me being in such close proximity she'll want to nurse all night long and I can't sleep while nursing, it's too disruptive to my sleep.  FWIW, she started sleeping through the night early and hasn't night nursed since she was about 3 mos old (lucky me!!!), even when she was sleeping in a co-sleeping in our room.  She's almost 20 mos and nurses about 3-4x/day, upon waking, before or after nap  (or both) and at bedtime.

So, I'm just curious how co-sleeping families address these issues as I'd like to co-sleep occasionally, but just can't figure out the logistics.  We do have a king sized bed, so I'm not too concerned with space, though I do toss and turn a bit because of should issues.  Suggestions?  Comments??

Tags
Family Bed

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page