Warning, the latest in torture/"sleep training" - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 38 Old 05-05-2009, 05:36 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I was wondering if her name made it over here yet. She has published a couple of things.

Compared to self-proclaimed sleep "expert" Anna Wahlgren, Richard Ferber and even Ezzo seem like AP Hippies all of a sudden.

Ms Wahlgren is getting pretty big in Europe and it's only a matter of time until she will find her audience here.

She published a couple of books on sleep training, has a website etc. BEWARE! There a some videos that show her "work".
http://www.annawahlgren.com/index.ph...filmer-vagning

She took down another video when public outrage ensued and Doctors in Sweden are "contemplating" their actions- but somebody still got it.
Look for "trypress" and Anna Wahlgren- that was previously on her website and that is her "sleep training" style.

I thought I knew some really bad sleep advice- but that "author" really tops it all.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 38 Old 05-05-2009, 10:09 PM

I just saw a video on you tube of her "technique"...I am speechless....I can't believe people would even believe for one second that her "technique" would be okay for a baby!!!! I honestly feel sick to my stomach right now after viewing it....those poor poor babies whose parents who do what she says.
#3 of 38 Old 05-05-2009, 10:28 PM

That should be considered child abuse. My DH asked if she was trying to put the baby to sleep permanently. I don't see any doctor in the U.S. condoning this. Especially with the Back to Sleep campaign.
#4 of 38 Old 05-05-2009, 10:37 PM

can someone give a rundown? I don't want to watch any videos.
#5 of 38 Old 05-05-2009, 10:38 PM

My computer won't let us watch videos...what is her technique?

I hate sleep training
#6 of 38 Old 05-05-2009, 10:50 PM
MLA

The video on that site's not really loading for me, but I saw a bit of it. Am I right that she's trying to put the baby to sleep on its FACE?!? I couldn't bring myself to watch any more of it. Does it get worse? That poor baby.
#7 of 38 Old 05-05-2009, 10:57 PM

OMG is she running the stroller into the wall? What the heck is that all about, I wish I could understand what she was saying.

Katherine, SAHM to 2 little princes
#8 of 38 Old 05-05-2009, 11:07 PM

Yikes! Is she trying to kill that kid?! Seriously disturbing.

I'm a modifiedartist.gif DH is a reading.gif we have 2 angel.gifs, and DS is a rainbow1284.gif baby.gif
#9 of 38 Old 05-05-2009, 11:18 PM

What's she doing? My computer wont' let me watch it and I'm not sure I could stomach it anyway.

obstruct livery vehicles

#10 of 38 Old 05-05-2009, 11:23 PM

Basically, she has the baby (I am talking infant here...the one in the video I saw had the newbornish cry still) laying on their tummy in a carriage, and she is pushing it pretty roughly back and forth, and when the baby starts to cry and lifts its head up and archs their back, she pushs them back down and turns their face to one side...I am not talking a soft push....this is a rough push, and will go right back to pushing the carriage. Each time the baby lifts his head up, she pushs it back down and positions their head to the side.

#11 of 38 Old 05-05-2009, 11:25 PM

That's awful. These poor babies.

obstruct livery vehicles

#12 of 38 Old 05-05-2009, 11:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gromero View Post
Basically, she has the baby (I am talking infant here...the one in the video I saw had the newbornish cry still) laying on their tummy in a carriage, and she is pushing it pretty roughly back and forth, and when the baby starts to cry and lifts its head up and archs their back, she pushs them back down and turns their face to one side...I am not talking a soft push....this is a rough push, and will go right back to pushing the carriage. Each time the baby lifts his head up, she pushs it back down and positions their head to the side.

OMG, just reading this makes me feel nauseous! I can't watch that video. I don't understand how people can abuse their baby, and then make it into a parenting technique! Why isn't this illegal?

Mama to my charming little boy, born at home January '09
#13 of 38 Old 05-05-2009, 11:34 PM

That is so sick. I can not fathom how any mother could do that to their baby. CIO a mother physically removes themselves and so I can see how it would be possible to justify it in their minds that since they can't hear the baby, it must have fallen asleep just fine...but to be right there listening to the screams FOR YOU and not only ignore it, but treat them so roughly...
#14 of 38 Old 05-05-2009, 11:36 PM

That is awful.

On an aside, that baby doesn't even look older than 4 months old yet, and so she is probably just learning how to put her head up. I can't imagine the stunting of her skills that comes from someone shoving her head down every time she picks it up. Nevermind the fact that if the baby ever DID roll onto her tummy and get her face pressed into the mattress, she would have been trained to NOT lift her head to prevent suffocation.

~Brandon Michael (11/23/03), Jocelyn Lily Nữ (2/4/07, adopted 5/28/07 from Vietnam), Amelia Rylie (1/14/09), & Ryland Josef William (9/7/05-9/7/05 @ 41 wks). 
#15 of 38 Old 05-05-2009, 11:51 PM

Just saw that video .... what a nightmare! I hope that the "back to sleep" campaign is enough to stop parents in this country from ever going down that road. That baby in the video didn't even have good strength in the neck muscles (probl. 2 months old?). She is being so rough...slamming the carriage into the wall! The only simulation of mother's movement that could possible mimic this is if the mother was falling down a flight of stairs. I never slammed my body around like that when I was pg. It's amazing the depths of greed and pure viciousness someone is willing to stoop to in order to "comfort" a sleep deprived parent. Just an outrage. Almost makes CIO the lesser of the evils. What a shame.
#16 of 38 Old 05-05-2009, 11:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gromero View Post
and she is pushing it pretty roughly back and forth,
she is ramming the stroller into the wall

Katherine, SAHM to 2 little princes
#17 of 38 Old 05-05-2009, 11:58 PM

I couldn't tolerate the jerky loading from that site but the youtube video.

:Puke

Even DH said, "Gah! I don't want to see that! Why would someone do that!"

That is just awful, awful, awful. I'm not quick to call mainstream stuff abuse. THAT is ABUSE though.

Jenne

joy.gifOur joy is born!  joy.gif
            02/11/2011   

#18 of 38 Old 05-06-2009, 12:26 AM

I saw the youtube video and am horrified. Oh, those poor babies. Who is this woman? Why would that sort of treatment ever be acceptable. CIO (while horrible and wrong) is at least a passive thig, this is so aggressive and phsically abusive. If you are especially sensitive, I would recommend NOT watching the youtibe video. It is pretty much child abuse.
#19 of 38 Old 05-06-2009, 12:54 AM

Oh look, I found the website in english too! (eyesroll) http://www.annawahlgren.com/index.ph.../anna-wahlgren

Sick, sick, sick! She should be in jail for abuse! If you feel like making your heart break even more...read the stuff on the right side under "Read More".

She does have a Guestbook though...

Tina - mama to DD1 10yrs, DD2 5.5 yrs and DD3 22 mo and wifey to DH.
#20 of 38 Old 05-06-2009, 01:03 AM - Thread Starter

She deletes stuff from her website. A lot of people have commented already, even her own readers that now saw the videos- as in "she does WHAT HOW?"

A lot of us commented on her website and it get's deleted.

Mothering Rules though, can't recommend running over there! I'm sure a Moderator will remind us also.
#21 of 38 Old 05-06-2009, 01:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by treehugginhippie View Post
Oh look, I found the website in english too! (eyesroll) http://www.annawahlgren.com/index.ph.../anna-wahlgren

Sick, sick, sick! She should be in jail for abuse! If you feel like making your heart break even more...read the stuff on the right side under "Read More".

She does have a Guestbook though...
I find this quote from the website particularly ironic:
Quote:
It is the adults who must help their child find peace...They must guarantee a good life, a secure life with good sleep, peaceful sleep, sufficient sleep and blissful sleep, sleep that their baby will soon joyously take, secure enough in herself to both dare and desire to sleep that well.

Wife to dh and mommy to dd1 (3/07), ds (1/10), and dd2 (any day now)!

#22 of 38 Old 05-06-2009, 01:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gentle~Mommy :) View Post
she is ramming the stroller into the wall
Woops...sorry, I didn't realize that she was ramming the stroller into the wall!!!

Just, incredible...I did a search on her name and not much came up. Most of the stuff was in Sweedish (I think). Obvisouly, there is a problem with her in her country if other doctors are thinking or trying to take action against her.

This is without a doubt, abuse.

In Exile...where did you hear about her from? This is the first time I have heard about her.
#23 of 38 Old 05-06-2009, 01:21 AM - Thread Starter

I heard about it from other German AP Parents. Her books are available in Germany and that's where I heard from her.

Pretty sick.
#24 of 38 Old 05-06-2009, 05:31 AM

reading it in translation makes it seem really creepy.

i only scanned it but i have to say, from about 6 months we discovered that dd liked to go to sleep lying on her front, with her head turned to one side, while we patted her quite hard on the back... am i going to get flamed? she was going through a stage when she refused to nurse to sleep.
#25 of 38 Old 05-06-2009, 11:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by calpurnia View Post
reading it in translation makes it seem really creepy.

i only scanned it but i have to say, from about 6 months we discovered that dd liked to go to sleep lying on her front, with her head turned to one side, while we patted her quite hard on the back... am i going to get flamed? she was going through a stage when she refused to nurse to sleep.
But if your baby would have cried, arching back, screaming and everything you would have stopped it and tried something else instead, right?

She is basically forcing the baby to stay on its belly, no matter if baby is happy or not.

joy.gif
#26 of 38 Old 05-06-2009, 12:18 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissE View Post
But if your baby would have cried, arching back, screaming and everything you would have stopped it and tried something else instead, right?

She is basically forcing the baby to stay on its belly, no matter if baby is happy or not.
Exactly. She's practically shoving the baby's head down and on top of that she is sort of whipping the carriage around so hard that the baby must be hitting the edge. On her homepage she is crashing her hand on the carriage very abruptly- it's like a "how to" for shaken baby syndrom, especially with those really little ones.

I also get if a baby prefers to sleeps on his belly and likes to fall asleep with a sort of rythmical patting, that's fine by me, some adults have stranger ways of falling asleep. But that is not the same as ripping a stroller around the way she does and hitting that poor baby on the butt so hard that the head wobbling on the other side.

That's just sick. Those are not her babies- her children are grown. So it's not even a totally sleep deprived parent on the brink of a breakdown. No, this is a "rational" adult who has sadistic streaks.

And she has a following, it seems almost cultish. Creepy.
#27 of 38 Old 05-06-2009, 12:48 PM

Yeah, when I watched the two videos I thought, "Yeah, I bet shaken baby syndrome makes the babies sleep for 12 hours."

Sick, sick, sick!

Jenne

joy.gifOur joy is born!  joy.gif
            02/11/2011   

#28 of 38 Old 05-06-2009, 12:52 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jenne View Post
Yeah, when I watched the two videos I thought, "Yeah, I bet shaken baby syndrome makes the babies sleep for 12 hours."

Sick, sick, sick!

Jenne
Yes, shove the baby a little harder and the baby might sleep forever.

I hope somebody in Sweden has enough backbone to call the police. The youtube video "tryckpress" is gone, so obviously she starts feeling like maybe that's not the best idea. I don't who had that video up, maybe it's herself, or maybe that someone got threatened, I have no idea. But I hope somebody there calls the police.
#29 of 38 Old 05-06-2009, 01:02 PM

G!d have mercy.

I'm not a particularly spiritual person, but I hope like nothing that someone, somewhere is looking out for these little ones.

Full time working mom to two bright and busy little girls! treehugger.gif
#30 of 38 Old 05-06-2009, 07:40 PM

Just a friendly reminder not to encourage MDCers to head over to other sites for adversarial purposes, as per UA #6:

Quote:
Do not post to invite MDC members to other communities, blogs or message boards for adversarial purposes or link to discussion about MDC at another site. Do not negatively discuss other communities or discussions elsewhere (this includes blog comments), regardless of whether or not you link to that discussion or community. This is to maintain and respect the integrity of our own and other communities.
And I think I won't be clicking on any of the links here because we have company coming over and I don't want to be blowing my nose and wiping tears when they arrive! Yikes.

Have you seen the updated user agreement yet?

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page