Night Terrors! - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 5 Old 05-24-2009, 10:15 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
My DD has recently started having night terrors just about every night. She starts screaming and hollering at the top of her lungs, kicking and flailing at the air. But it's not just once a night. It's anywhere from 2x to 4x/night. I hear they're typical, her Pediatrician says it's normal for kids her age. He told me not to try to wake her and to let her stop on her own.

It's SO hard to do that, but when I try to wake her up, she hits me. If I pick her up, she struggles, she doesn't even want me to hold her hand. Even Dr. Sears says to let her be . I've tried to let her quiet on her own, but after 4+ years of AP-ing, not tending to a screaming child is just impossible!!

Anyone have any experience with this? What do I do? How can I cope with this and help my DD?

Oh yeah, we don't cosleep anymore (she decided to move when she was 3), but she has her own bed in my room.

Quoteriginally Posted by SamI'mNotSamantha : : : Bi/Crunchy/WOH/Single/Student Mama to my skinny-mini SuperMunchkin : (11/2004)! "I will not take 'but' for an answer." - Langston Hughes
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 5 Old 05-24-2009, 11:02 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Night terrors are pretty freaky! I was usually able to settle ds down with cuddling, soothing talk, and back rubbing though it sometimes took a while. No way could I just ignore it! Just because they don't remember being terrified is no reason to not try to comfort them, imo.

Like all sleep disturbances (insomnia, sleep walking, etc), they tend to happen more when someone isn't getting enough sleep. Usually they happen earlier in the night, like within the first few hours of sleep. Trying to make sure ds was well rested seemed to minimize his night terrors. It's been a while since he had one, at least a year. Perhaps that's because he is solidly out of naps (he was a late napper, still took them some days at age 5 and 6.)

Good luck. I hope they stop for your dd soon!

Mom to unschooling 4everboy since 8/01
#3 of 5 Old 05-24-2009, 11:17 PM - Thread Starter

Hmm... well, she gets anywhere from 7-9 hours of sleep/night. Plus she naps for at least 30 minutes/day. Is there such a thing as "over-rested"? Could that be an issue?

Quoteriginally Posted by SamI'mNotSamantha : : : Bi/Crunchy/WOH/Single/Student Mama to my skinny-mini SuperMunchkin : (11/2004)! "I will not take 'but' for an answer." - Langston Hughes
#4 of 5 Old 05-24-2009, 11:31 PM

Our Ped. said that kids should sleep from 12-15 hours total per day. I'm not sure of the age range on that but she told me that at our last well child (my DD is 3 1/2) which was about 6 months ago.

DD has had a few night terrors too...it's insane! I have just figured out that they were actually night terrors so I can't really help on the whole "what do I do" thing!
#5 of 5 Old 05-25-2009, 11:52 PM

I don't think over rested would be the problem.

Night terrors are the result of getting 'stuck' between stages of sleep. It's almost definately developmental for your DD, just like sleepwalking. It really isn't something you can prevent, unless you'd want to try an herb that helps the brain do it's thing during sleep.

DS had them in a mild way, he would just wake up screaming, but he'd back into the corner of his bed, and look right through you like you weren't there. It was, hands down, the creepiest parenting moment ever.

I do give him the Herbs for Kids Valerian super calm. just one dose before bed.

computergeek2.gif  wife to bikenew.gif and momma to my intact boys headscratch.gif 06/19/06 and mischievous.gif 10/10/08 We delayed/selective vax; constantly wash.gif  always intactlact.gif

Niemals Gewalt

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page