Baby waking up every 2 hours thru the nite - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 9 Old 06-03-2009, 10:37 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
My 5 mo old DS used to only wake 2-3 times a nite to feed and happily see me. For the past month he has been waking up every 2 hours sometimes to feed, sometimes not. I have read many posts that some babies wake up often because they are in pain from a food allergy or sensitivity. My child doesn't usually cry when he wakes up so I am assuming that he isn't suffering from this. I hate, however, to assume anything. Do babies that have the allergies wake up and cry? I am worried that I am missing something. Also, any thoughts on why he is waking up so often. I just can't bring myself to let him CIO and am hoping that he will someday sleep thru the night.
Thanks so much!!!
#2 of 9 Old 06-03-2009, 10:53 PM

My first guess would be teething. For what it's worth, my DS nursed every 2 hours day and night until he was 2 or 2.5. Different kids have different nursing needs, and what they need changes as they change.

If there is nothing else physically wrong with your babe, he's probably having a growth spurt, teeth coming in, etc.

Are you sleeping with him? Are you able to side lie when you nurse and go back to sleep? When DS was little and I wasn't yet confident about sleeping and side lie nursing I propped myself up with a reading pillow and slept that way while he nursed. Once you master nursing laying down and going back to sleep (and throw out your clock or hide it so you don't know how many hours/ minutes it's been since the last nursing) you'll feel more rested regardless of how often he's nursing.

Mama to Zach 6-18-04 & Naia 10-13-10 Partner to the sweetest DH. Loving our life afloat. TV Free!
#3 of 9 Old 06-03-2009, 11:02 PM

My babe is almost 6 mo and wakes very 1-2 hrs also. I think its nomal for co-sleeping babies.
#4 of 9 Old 06-04-2009, 11:40 AM

DS started at 6 months to do that, teething hit us. Now 8 teeth later, he wakes up every 20-30 minutes at night. He does nurse a lot, has no interest in solids, yet I cannot keep up with food intake at this point.
If anyone has advice, it would be greatly appreciated. I am a complete zombie, not having slept in forever.
#5 of 9 Old 06-04-2009, 05:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by littlebabydoll View Post
My babe is almost 6 mo and wakes very 1-2 hrs also. I think its nomal for co-sleeping babies.
I want to add that this is normal for all babies. They go through different sleep regressions and a major one is when they start teething/crawling/walking/talk/or any other milestone... and during the first year it is like one milestone after another.

earth.gif trottin', pole dancing, Norway and Sweden lovin' , hippie.gif,WOHM Kiddos born waterbirth.jpg 12/11/06 and 08/09/08 
belly.gif with #3 puke.gif EDD:01/2013 yikes2.gif So in love loveeyes.gif with my sweet Swede 2twins.gif and my bonus-son 10/25/98 carrot.gif

#6 of 9 Old 06-04-2009, 05:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by robynholly View Post
My 5 mo old DS used to only wake 2-3 times a nite to feed and happily see me. For the past month he has been waking up every 2 hours sometimes to feed, sometimes not. I have read many posts that some babies wake up often because they are in pain from a food allergy or sensitivity. My child doesn't usually cry when he wakes up so I am assuming that he isn't suffering from this. I hate, however, to assume anything. Do babies that have the allergies wake up and cry? I am worried that I am missing something. Also, any thoughts on why he is waking up so often. I just can't bring myself to let him CIO and am hoping that he will someday sleep thru the night.
Thanks so much!!!
Totally normal
could be nothing...teething...growth spurt....
would not worry. I would have done anything to get my ds to sleep every two hours. He was up hourly if not more at that age

:CLC,Doula :Mama to 2
#7 of 9 Old 06-04-2009, 05:49 PM

My healthy 9 month old wakes up every 2-3 hours at night to nurse or cuddle. After analyzing our life over and over I've come to the conclusion that it's just her age and what she needs. I've sort of let go of trying to change it.

Good luck to you!

Michigan native living in Jersey with my hubby, sweet girl (4), wild boy (2), and baby girl due Dec. 18th! 

#8 of 9 Old 06-04-2009, 09:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by h@ppy mama View Post
My healthy 9 month old wakes up every 2-3 hours at night to nurse or cuddle. After analyzing our life over and over I've come to the conclusion that it's just her age and what she needs. I've sort of let go of trying to change it.

Good luck to you!
Smart mama!!!

Mama to Zach 6-18-04 & Naia 10-13-10 Partner to the sweetest DH. Loving our life afloat. TV Free!
#9 of 9 Old 06-21-2009, 12:38 PM

my baby is doing the exact same thing lately. from the time she was about 2 months old, during a 12-hr period at night, she would sleep for about 5 hrs the first stretch, then wake up every 3 hrs after that to nurse. NOW she is 7 months old and for the past month she has been waking up every 1-2 hrs and 95% of the time, nothing will put her back to sleep except for nursing. the other 5% of the time, she will fan her arms out to feel for me and if i quickly put my hand near her and she feels it, then she will go back to sleep. but mind you, this is only 5% of the time. is she teething? growth spurt? she has started having separation anxiety, i literally can't walk across the room (away from her) without her having a meltdown. could that be what it is? or some other stage? some people tell me i should stop nursing her to sleep because since that's how she falls asleep, that's what she looks for to go back to sleep. but if that is the case, then why hasn't she been doing this all this time? why did she just start a month ago? anyone have any comments/suggestions/advice? i have a 3 year old who i need to keep up with during the day. i am barely functioning!!!

(info on us: EBF & baby sleeps in a co-sleeper attached to our bed)

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page