Baby hammock comments? - Mothering Forums

#1 of 6 Old 06-11-2009, 09:37 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hi All,

Just joined the boards although I've been lurking. DD#3 is due around October 9, my first two dds are 9 and 6.

We co-slept with both older girls and that worked pretty well for us (although it was tricky with a newborn and a 3-yr-old), but this time I'm (ahem) older and know I'll need to be well-rested. So I'm considering a baby hammock for naps and at least starting the night in order to give me some time to myself in bed. Both my older dds would have slept much better in a hammock with some motion than they did alone in regular cribs (which never worked for them). So I'm considering a hammock.

The Amby is the best-known one, Mothering.com advertises the Kanoe, and there are some others that look good (like the Happy Hangup). Any experience/thoughts?

-ZoraP

DD1 (Oct 99), DD2 (Sep 02), DD3 (Oct 09)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 6 Old 06-11-2009, 09:50 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
We have the Happy Hangup here. Haven't used it as the baby's not out yet, but it was my friends and I saw her use it with her baby. I like that fact that it's wooden and very natural/pleasing to the eye. I'm a little worried about hanging it from the ceiling but we cannot afford the floor hanger nor do we have any doors that we could use with this .

I think it's not that the Amby is better, just that it's more common in the US...but I haven't tried one, so who knows? The dyes and the wood staining are all natural plant-based with the Happy Hangup, which seems really great. My friend really enjoyed hers but she only used it when the baby was pretty small (I saw that you can put a 40 pounder in there?!).

Partnered mama with DD (01/04) and DD (08/09) and hoping to conceive and also adopt in 2017!
#3 of 6 Old 06-11-2009, 10:26 AM

I'm interested in this question too! DS has a really hard time staying asleep on his own, so I'm considering buying one for naps and for a couple of hours at his bedtime before it's our bedtime. He's almost 5 months old already, but I plan on having more babies so I figured it would be worth the investment.

And I hate to hijack your thread OP, but - if anyone is posting from Canada could you let me know where you bought your hammock? Thanks

Mama to my charming little boy, born at home January '09

#4 of 6 Old 06-11-2009, 04:07 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks to both of you -- bumping to see if more people respond.

DD1 (Oct 99), DD2 (Sep 02), DD3 (Oct 09)
#5 of 6 Old 06-12-2009, 12:08 AM

I just received the Kanoe hammock as a gift (lucky me!) and although the baby has yet to be born - I'm loving it!
It's really well constructed *and* organic. Its weight rating with the spring is up to 35lbs but then you can remove the spring and continue to use until (I think) 50lbs. I like that it has no mattress-y thing and would be impossible to slide out of too.

My friend ordered it for me from babyonthehip.ca in Toronto.

Clinical Herbalist. Trained but never certified, licensed, or registered as a midwife.
07/10/09
#6 of 6 Old 06-12-2009, 03:30 PM

I'm getting a amby bed tonight cant wait to try it out.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page