Lap napping to play pen/crib napping-Any success stories???? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 6 Old 08-05-2009, 02:25 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hi,

Has anyone out there had any success transitioning a lap naper to another surface such as a play pen?

My DS is 9 months now and my back is killing me from the naps plus I would love a couple of hrs to do things around the house or something for me. I basically have zero time alone every day since he sleeps on me for every nap and we sleep together at night.

Any suggestions???????!!!!!!!!!! Help!!!!!!!!!!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 6 Old 08-05-2009, 02:30 PM

I slide all my nappers over to the other side of the couch, after they fall asleep, where they nap almost daily...

SANDRA, 41 year old VERY laid-back mama to VERY free range kids Brett (16), Justus (11), Autumn (4), and Ayla (1)... four perfect NCB's! :::
#3 of 6 Old 08-06-2009, 02:59 PM

Yes! DS was a little younger than your kiddo and it took a month or two but he did finally get it. At first I would rock him until he was out cold and then put him in the crib. If he woke up, I would repeat. If he woke up on attempt #3 then I would hold him for the rest of the nap.

When he would allow me to put him down in the crib he couldn't get past that first sleep cycle for awhile. I would pick him back up and rock him again to see if I could get him back to sleep. If not, then he was up. If he had two crappy 30-40 minute naps then I would hold him for a third nap without attempting to put him down in the crib at all because he desperately needed a good nap by then.

Good luck! My mantra during that time was "it will never happen if I never try."
#4 of 6 Old 08-06-2009, 10:22 PM

DS is a year now, and we've been managing the lap-to-crib transition for a few months now. Usually he'd fall asleep nursing while I rocked in the glider. I'd either wait for the nipple to come out of his mouth or I'd try to help it along a bit (sometimes I have to let him re-latch a few times). I'd continue rocking for a while (5-10 minutes), then slow my rocking down until I was no longer rocking. I'd sit there for awhile so he'd get used to the lack of rocking. Then I'd slowly stand and slowly walk to the crib. Then wait a minute or so. Then sloooowly lower him into the crib without changing the side-laying position he was in from nursing. Then my arms would be trapped under his body, but I'd leave them there (this is the uncomfortable mama part) for a few minutes, then slooooowly remove one arm...then slooowly remove the other. I have a rolled up blanket in the crib that I push up along his back so he feels like he's up against me (maybe).

It used to be absolutely impossible to do this transition, but I just kept trying. Lately he's stopped nursing to sleep, so I have to rock him in an upright position for a while until he falls asleep. I continue rocking for a while and then change him to a side-laying position, while still rocking and then do as above. There have been several times in the last month that I've been able to put him in his crib awake (when the other methods haven't worked) and then pat him to sleep or use my hands to vibrate the mattress until he falls asleep. It's all the leaning into the crib stuff that really sucks, but I'm all about getting a little chunk of time for myself, so it's worth it.

Teacher until birth of DS (7-27-08)blowkiss.gifand now DD (10-17-11)femalesling.GIF:, now SAHM, wife to my wonderful hard-working DH.   cd.gifnocirc.gifselectivevax.gif

#5 of 6 Old 08-07-2009, 05:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by not_telling View Post
DS is a year now, and we've been managing the lap-to-crib transition for a few months now. Usually he'd fall asleep nursing while I rocked in the glider. I'd either wait for the nipple to come out of his mouth or I'd try to help it along a bit (sometimes I have to let him re-latch a few times). I'd continue rocking for a while (5-10 minutes), then slow my rocking down until I was no longer rocking. I'd sit there for awhile so he'd get used to the lack of rocking. Then I'd slowly stand and slowly walk to the crib. Then wait a minute or so. Then sloooowly lower him into the crib without changing the side-laying position he was in from nursing. Then my arms would be trapped under his body, but I'd leave them there (this is the uncomfortable mama part) for a few minutes, then slooooowly remove one arm...then slooowly remove the other. I have a rolled up blanket in the crib that I push up along his back so he feels like he's up against me (maybe).

It used to be absolutely impossible to do this transition, but I just kept trying. Lately he's stopped nursing to sleep, so I have to rock him in an upright position for a while until he falls asleep. I continue rocking for a while and then change him to a side-laying position, while still rocking and then do as above. There have been several times in the last month that I've been able to put him in his crib awake (when the other methods haven't worked) and then pat him to sleep or use my hands to vibrate the mattress until he falls asleep. It's all the leaning into the crib stuff that really sucks, but I'm all about getting a little chunk of time for myself, so it's worth it.
Yeah that!

My dd naps on me in a carrier at work and I'm able to rock her at home, then put her in the crib once she's already asleep. She exclusively napped on me until 6-7 months and now at 13 months she has no problem going back and forth.
#6 of 6 Old 08-11-2009, 08:58 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks Mamas!!!!!!!
I really appreciate all the input and will keep trying!!!!!!!
It is good to hear hopeful stories!!!!!
:

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page