Need advice on going cribless after cosleeping - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 8 Old 08-11-2009, 10:38 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hello,

I'm wondering if there are any families here with experience on moving a young toddler to a bed that is not a crib.

I'm cosleeping my second child, currently 5mo. My oldest (now 5.5yo) coslept until about 3yo, but I don't think we're going to be able to last that long with our second child. Ideally, we'd like to move him out at around 18 months, hopefully into the same room as his big brother.

We used to have a very nice crib, which I lent out to a friend whose son is still using it at 3 years, and she's also expecting soon... so she still could use it. We kept the crib mattress and lay db down in it for naps as needed.

My concern is that if we put a young toddler just on the crib mattress, he might wander around and get in trouble if he wakes while we're asleep (whether he's in our room or in his brother's room.) I've considered putting a baby gate across the door to limit his wandering to one room. But I still get concerned with him getting stuck under our bed or his brother's bed, or something like that. I suppose we could put our mattresses on the floor too, but we did just acquire a beautiful four-poster bed last year... on the other hand these fears may not be rational as our oldest has never shown any inclination to wander from his bed.

Anyway, if anybody has done this, what are your thoughts are on the subject?

Thanks!
Jean
(hypnobirthing extended bfing babywearing cosleeping CD & ECing mama )
#2 of 8 Old 08-12-2009, 12:22 AM

DD slept on her crib mattress alone in her room (it was on the floor) from the time she was about 18 MO until we got her a toddler bed from Ikea when she was probably about 22 MO.

It went really well.

The few times she rolled out of it, there was only a short drop to the floor and it didn't even phase her. She did get out of it every night to join us in our bed, but never wandered around the house. She always came directly into our room. I did keep the monitor on in her room, though, so I could wake up when she did. It gave me a little peace of mind knowing that I would always know what she was up to at night.

SAHM to DD (6/07) and DS (10/09); happily married to DH since 2/04 .
#3 of 8 Old 08-12-2009, 12:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spmamma View Post
DD slept on her crib mattress alone in her room (it was on the floor) from the time she was about 18 MO until we got her a toddler bed from Ikea when she was probably about 22 MO.

It went really well.

The few times she rolled out of it, there was only a short drop to the floor and it didn't even phase her. She did get out of it every night to join us in our bed, but never wandered around the house. She always came directly into our room. I did keep the monitor on in her room, though, so I could wake up when she did. It gave me a little peace of mind knowing that I would always know what she was up to at night.
Ditto to all of this!

You must have chaos within you to give birth to a dancing star.
K (6): C (8): B (1/13/12) homeschool.gifbfinfant.giffemalesling.GIFfamilybed2.gif

#4 of 8 Old 08-13-2009, 01:29 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks! No wandering during naptime either? No point where you wished you had a crib?
#5 of 8 Old 08-13-2009, 01:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spmamma View Post

It went really well.

Ditto again, except we just have a toddler bed with half-rails. He's never fallen. When he wakes, he come straight to us and lets us know he's there. We do make sure to close the gate at the top of the stairs to make sure he doesn't stumble and fall when he's just woken.
#6 of 8 Old 08-13-2009, 01:59 AM

Both of my kids went directly from sleeping in our bed to sleeping in their own beds (twin and full, no toddler beds) between the ages of 20 and 24 months. I have never had an issue with them getting out of bed and wandering. DD will sometimes get up after her nap and come downstairs on her own, and once or twice she's walked into our room in the middle of the night and gotten us, but that's it. DS always would stay in bed and call for us (even now that he's 7 years old, on the rare occasions he wakes up at night, he won't get out of bed, he'll call). Dd almost always will stay in bed and call or cry out for us.

My theory is that children who are parented to sleep don't usually think about getting out of bed on their own. They've never really had the opportunity to do so, so it doesn't occur to them. They think beds are for sleeping. I lay down with my dd until she falls asleep (and did so with ds until he was about 3), so there has never been an opportunity for her to wander prior to going to sleep. When they wake in the middle of the night, they want human companionship because that's what they associate the bed with, so they lay in bed and call for someone to come to them.
#7 of 8 Old 08-13-2009, 10:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeanac View Post
Thanks! No wandering during naptime either? No point where you wished you had a crib?
No and no.

DD would occasionally get up once during nap time (and come in to the room I was in) and I'd always take her back into her room and lay down again to finish out her nap. This happened a bit early on, but hasn't happened for a long time.

I never regretted not having a crib.

SAHM to DD (6/07) and DS (10/09); happily married to DH since 2/04 .
#8 of 8 Old 08-14-2009, 11:20 AM

All four of mine went from my bed to a mattress on the floor, around 15 months or so.

I started them out there at night, and that gave them the freedom to stay in there or come back into bed with us, any time they wanted for however long they wanted. Eventually, they all stopped coming in (sniffle).

Yes, all four bypassed a crib here.

SANDRA, 41 year old VERY laid-back mama to VERY free range kids Brett (16), Justus (11), Autumn (4), and Ayla (1)... four perfect NCB's! :::

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page