Desperate!!!! My baby Will.NOT.Sleep at night!!! - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 13 Old 08-22-2009, 09:46 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Oh man, last night was the worst night in a long string of bad nights.

9pm - falls asleep in the car, transfers to the bed.
1-1:30am - wakes up. Cries b/c of teething until 2am, plays until between 3-3:30.
4-4:30 - wakes up happy. Plays until 6am.
8:30am - awake for the day.

This may seem like a lot of sleep to some of you, but my BF and I are starting our 3rd year of law school on Tuesday so this will.not.work. We need more sleep than this in order to survive. Basically, in order to keep our sanity, this baby needs to be STTN by Tuesday (I don't count night nursings since I usually don't remember them) - if he is still waking up to play I don't know what we'll do.
#2 of 13 Old 08-22-2009, 10:32 AM

Are you co-sleeping? If not, my first piece of advice is gather your baby next to you, nurse, go back to sleep and gently encourage the baby to do so as well. It might help greatly with waking for such extended stretches.
#3 of 13 Old 08-22-2009, 11:41 AM

With my little guy he would never be down for the night until closer to midnight like his daddy and I. We co-sleep and he nursed until 2.5y. I found getting him to sleep late helped for us as well as a dark room. He would only wake to nurse and really was just dream-feeding, I barely woke when he did this. He would sleep until abour 8a. For him this was enough and he would nap a couple times during the day (and still naps once a day for 1-3hours).

PAT- photosmile2.gif Mommy to a super little boy kid.gif Tyr -Nov 17, 2006 Married to joy.gif Sky -August 28, 1993 
Sadly, Jan 21, 2011  m/c 6w5d  angel.gif
#4 of 13 Old 08-22-2009, 12:01 PM - Thread Starter

We are co-sleeping. He just jumps around on the bed and gives us raspberries. Going to sleep later might work, but I can't go to sleep later since I'm more of a morning person than a night person. Maybe daddy can do something with baby at night. I don't know, just keep the advice coming!!!
#5 of 13 Old 08-22-2009, 02:09 PM

Well, if it's any consolation.......the 3rd year olf law school is the easiest........
#6 of 13 Old 08-22-2009, 04:40 PM

Have you tried an earlier bedtime? Some swear by putting their baby down by 6:30-7.

Our LO is awake a lot (every 1-2 hours), but usually doesn't play, sometimes he does. They were born on the same day! He used to STTN but now there just seems to be too much going on developmentally. I'm just trying to keep consistent with bedtime routines and taking tips from the No Cry Sleep Solution. I'm also taking naps and getting lie ins when I can.

My husband is a lawyer and let me reassure you as PP said, the 3rd year is the easiest and what I wouldn't give for my DH to be at law school right now. Life would be MUCH easier for me!! I recommend you switch off with your husband on getting up with your LO and the other take a lie in for as long as possible.

babyboy.gif: 01/10/2009 and 09/29/2011

#7 of 13 Old 08-22-2009, 04:58 PM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
I had a terrible sleeper and got a lot of advice in the time we were really in the thick of it. One thing everyone says that I thought I was trying - have a routine. Not just a bedtime routine or a nap time routine, but a day that's pretty predictable, start to finish. Sleepless In America was the book that TOTALLY turned around our sleep issues because for whatever reason, that's the book that made me finally GET IT. I know some people have real go-with-the-flow, sleep-when-you're-tired philosophies on sleep and if that works for them, great, but it was KILLING me, my relationship with my child, and my marriage.

When I started getting her up at the same time every day, getting her in the sun, having predictable food, play, rest periods - everything really just turned around. It sounded impossible in the beginning but we are ALL better when our days have a similar flow and we all feel it when that is interrupted.

Good luck. I love love love my girl but she was such a rotten sleeper she will probably be an only child.
#8 of 13 Old 08-22-2009, 09:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NiteNicole View Post
I had a terrible sleeper and got a lot of advice in the time we were really in the thick of it. One thing everyone says that I thought I was trying - have a routine. Not just a bedtime routine or a nap time routine, but a day that's pretty predictable, start to finish. Sleepless In America was the book that TOTALLY turned around our sleep issues because for whatever reason, that's the book that made me finally GET IT. I know some people have real go-with-the-flow, sleep-when-you're-tired philosophies on sleep and if that works for them, great, but it was KILLING me, my relationship with my child, and my marriage.

When I started getting her up at the same time every day, getting her in the sun, having predictable food, play, rest periods - everything really just turned around. It sounded impossible in the beginning but we are ALL better when our days have a similar flow and we all feel it when that is interrupted.

Good luck. I love love love my girl but she was such a rotten sleeper she will probably be an only child.

YES to this. If you have got to get your sleep, then this is excellent advice. My DH and were total go w/ the flow people, rest when tired, etc but we have a child that DOESN'T. She does so much better since we sortof got our little routine down and stick with it.
#9 of 13 Old 08-22-2009, 11:07 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks NiteNicole and Meems - Once we start school my MIL will be watching him during the day and a routine will be much easier to get in place. We just got back from vacation a few days ago, and he didn't sleep well while we were gone, and its gotten 10x worse since we got home.

We are going to work hard on getting a routine down in the next few weeks, and hopefully that will help a ton.
#10 of 13 Old 08-22-2009, 11:14 PM - Thread Starter

Oh, and NiteNicole, if this keeps happening, Lincoln will probably be an only child too. He might for many other reasons as well.

As for the 3rd year being the easiest, it may be. The problem is that I'm going to be doing a clinic this fall for 12 credits - so I'll have real clients. I don't really think its school, I'm having PPD issues, and other health problems related to Lincoln's birth, and so I've got a lot of anxiety right now.

Thanks for the suggestions though
#11 of 13 Old 08-23-2009, 07:41 AM

I'd do my best to not engage with your baby during the times you want him to sleep. Do everything in the dark, don't talk, make shushing noises if you like, but don't engage. Encourage him to lay down, but you don't have to force. Hopefully this will pass quickly. In my opinion, model what you want him to do. Lay down and close your eyes even if he plays all over you for an hour. He'll get it eventually that this is not the time for playing.
I gathered that you do co sleep so that should help. If you are nursing, I would do that until he sleeps. If you are not nursing, I would just model, model, model what sleeping looks like and be super boring!

DH, and Me plus baby girl (10/07)
#12 of 13 Old 08-23-2009, 10:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shami View Post
I'd do my best to not engage with your baby during the times you want him to sleep. Do everything in the dark, don't talk, make shushing noises if you like, but don't engage. Encourage him to lay down, but you don't have to force. Hopefully this will pass quickly. In my opinion, model what you want him to do. Lay down and close your eyes even if he plays all over you for an hour. He'll get it eventually that this is not the time for playing.
I gathered that you do co sleep so that should help. If you are nursing, I would do that until he sleeps. If you are not nursing, I would just model, model, model what sleeping looks like and be super boring!
This is what I finally had to do when DD was waking up to play in the middle of the night. The only thing we did differently is that I did make her lay down (I was very gentle). The only rule we had at night was that she had to lay down in bed: no sitting up, no standing, no crawling. Every time she tried to sit up, I'd gently guide her hands and legs down and tell her "Lay down and go night night." I did it over and over and over again. Yes, she got mad and screamed at me those first two or three nights, but after that she stopped doing it. I had tried ignoring her while she played, but it didn't deter her at all so this was the only solution.

SAHM to DD (6/07) and DS (10/09); happily married to DH since 2/04 .
#13 of 13 Old 08-23-2009, 08:29 PM

Did you say he was teething? Liam ALWAYS ALWAYS did that when he was about to pop a tooth. For a week straight. And I'm sure your vacation threw him off a little. I'd give it another couple days and see if things return to "normal" (whatever that is with a baby....).. If not, maybe look into food sensitivities?

Also, like other PP's suggested, keep things boring, no talking, etc. That never really helped when Liam did that, but I would get up with him and give him a little tylenol and/or teething tablets and he'd be back asleep soon.

Good luck!

Catie belly.gif- Happy wife to Aaron stillheart.gif(01.05), mama to Liambikenew.gif(08.08), and Ian jammin.gif (11.10)! homebirth.jpgnocirc.giffamilybed1.gif and joy.gif due Feb 2013 with blessing #3!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page