Nighttime weaning help/questions... - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 8 Old 09-22-2009, 08:40 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
My 19 month old son sleeps horribly. He wakes up every 2 hours still and this past two weeks has regressed to waking up every hour. My husband sleeps in another room so he can get sleep for work, so I don't have any help with this. I'm so exhausted, crying all the time, a wreck.

I thought I would try night weaning him and see if it helps any. So five nights ago I started. He is not traumatized by it at all and doesn't try to nurse even, but he won't sleep. He tries, but he can't. I think he's hungry, and he just can't sleep while hungry. He's big, which may explain the hunger. 38 pounds, 36 some inches at his 18 month checkup.

He gets dinner around 6:00-6:30. I've been nursing him at bedtime like normal (between 7:30 and 8:00 - he falls asleep between 8:00 and 8:30), and when I come to bed two hours later when he wakes up for the first time. Then not nursing him until he's ready to get up. Which has shifted from 6:30-7:00 back to 5:30 again what with the recent extra-crappy sleeping and the night weaning attempts.Then once he was able to handle that I was going to cut out the nursing session when I come to bed.

When he wakes up around 1:00 he doesn't go back to sleep again. He tosses, turns, kicks me, cuddles, flops on me... Refuses water in a sippy cup. No crying, but no sleep either. It doesn't seem to bother him much during the day, except for that he wants to take a longer nap. I've been trying to wake him up after 2 hours of napping, so he won't be getting most of his sleep during the day. But I'm sooooooo tired.

I think I'm going to have to give this up. Even waking up every hour is better than this.

Has anyone else run into this? Did you find a way to fix it?

Cynthia

Wife to Matt. Mom to Alex (2/8/08). Expecting our second (2/6/12).

#2 of 8 Old 09-22-2009, 09:28 AM

He could just be having a growth spurt that is disrupting his sleep. My oldest didn't sleep through the night until she was 3 1/2. I night-weaned her at around 18 months in the hopes that she would sleep more, but it didn't help- she still woke frequently and needed a lot of "help" to go back to sleep. Fortunately, my DH took over helping her back to sleep when I got pregnant with #2. Eventually she began sleeping through and now sleeps great! She also woke up for good rediculously early (like 4 or 5 am) for a while and preferred to take a 4 hour nap in the afternoon! I was glad when she stopped napping (around 2) and began sleeping longer at night!
I think it's a stage and it will pass! Hang in there mama!!

Sarah, unschooling musician mama to Ella (12/24/00) , Aurora (1/31/04) and Hazel (1/30/07) (agenesis of the corpus colosum, large interhemispheric cyst, macrocephaly, shunt). homeschool.gif bfolderchild.gif familybed1.gifguitar.gif
#3 of 8 Old 09-22-2009, 09:55 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks That's the other thing worrying/bothering me. I'm 36 and would REALLY like to start trying for #2, especially since it took us 4 years and IVF for #1. But I absolutely cannot handle being pregnant on no sleep and then having to deal with another baby that doesn't sleep on top of this. It's making me miserable

Cynthia

#4 of 8 Old 09-22-2009, 03:13 PM

Check out my thread HERE
This is EXACTLY what is happening with me and my 19 mo LO.
I'm also not sure what to do from here, but it is kind of nice knowing that my DD isn't the only one. We just went through night 4 and I tweaked our approach a little from no nursing at all from 12-5 to nursing her for a few mins every wake up and then having her get herself back to sleep on her own. It is helping her sleep more (last night there was only one 2 hour awake session...) but I kind of feel like we are going backwards. But, my intention is to make the nursing sessions shorter and shorter each night until she can handle getting to sleep w/o nursing.
I never imagined that she just WOULDN"T sleep... so weird!

Wife & Momma to Echo 2/20/08 and HP 6/11/13
#5 of 8 Old 09-22-2009, 08:15 PM - Thread Starter

It is nice to know I'm not the only one, but I'm sorry you're in the same hell I'm in! Hope it gets better for you too, mama.

I have been trying for months to cut down the duration of the nursing and to only nurse him every other time he wakes up, but it hasn't made a darned bit of difference. I hope it does for you.

Cynthia

#6 of 8 Old 09-22-2009, 11:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwoodard View Post
Thanks That's the other thing worrying/bothering me. I'm 36 and would REALLY like to start trying for #2, especially since it took us 4 years and IVF for #1. But I absolutely cannot handle being pregnant on no sleep and then having to deal with another baby that doesn't sleep on top of this. It's making me miserable
Our DS also has a very light sleep (and hence long wake periods when we have tried night-weaning) after his first wake-up, and we have this exact same problem as well! We really want to start trying for #2 but it is inconceivable. I also have the HUGE fear that he will be the way Monkeypants describes her daughter -- frequent waking even with nightweaning.

In your case, if he's not crying and you're not having to carry/rock/hold him, I would keep it up. There is always a chance it will pay off! In our case, we did give up because it was sooooo exhausting. In some sense I feel like the longer you wait, the harder it gets, because we are struggling even more now at 21 months (unless you wait until they're "ready", which could be at 3 yrs...).

Good luck!!

Mama to angel1.gif angel1.gif angel1.gif angel1.gifangel1.gif

DS1 (6) jog.gif , DS2 (3)sleepytime.gifbaby.gif DD is here!

#7 of 8 Old 09-23-2009, 09:37 AM - Thread Starter

I caved at 4 this morning. I was too exhausted. I can'tdecide whether to go back to trying or not...

Cynthia

#8 of 8 Old 09-25-2009, 04:18 AM

I am in the exact same boat my LO is only 11 mo though. It is 4:00 am and we've been up pretty much every 5-20 minutes since 11 pm. I hate this!

Happily married : to my wonderful DH and mama to my sweet 's 4/00 and 10/08

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page