Mothering Forum banner

Arms reach co-sleeper?

881 views 4 replies 5 participants last post by  crunchy_mommy 
#1 ·
Hi all:

Ok, for those of you who use the Arms reach co-sleeper (the regular size one) for the baby...and not just a clothes hanger

We have one and it works great for us! I got 4 inch foam and put it under the mattress so that DS is right next to me and there is not that 4in dip down.
My question is, when do/did you stop using it, and what did you do after that for sleep? I like having him next to me (much easier nursing, and i like to hear him breath), but we do not sleep well when he is in bed with me (i have blanket issues, i only sleep with them OVER my head, plus he kicks)
Anyway, at what point is it not safe? And then what are my options for something similar after that?
Or could i just teach him not to pull up on it? Wouldn't that be the same as teaching a baby not to pull on the rails if you use those on an adult bed?
He is almost 5 months old, so is starting to get a bit mobile, and i want to have an idea of what is ahead.....

Thanks
-Larissa

See less See more
#2 ·
I used the full size cosleeper until DD was 17 months; she had barely exceeded the weight max. At that point we put a twin size bed between the wall and my bed and that's where she's been for the past year!

Just an idea

#3 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by Mommy2Haley View Post
I used the full size cosleeper until DD was 17 months; she had barely exceeded the weight max. At that point we put a twin size bed between the wall and my bed and that's where she's been for the past year!

Just an idea

Do you mean you used it up high in the bassinet co sleeper position or made it into the playpen by moving the mattress down? My dd is 4.5 mos and is on the low end of the weight so she could probably use it for a long long time before growing out of the weight limit but I would worry that she would crawl out of the co sleeper on the end thats not between the bed and the wall and fall and get hurt.

My plan is to move the mattress down to playpen level when she is older but we will see how that actually works out as leaning down to get her seems such a pain. (literally)

#4 ·
Wee One (one year old and about 19 pounds) looooves hers. We didn't put the mattress pad in and left the lip. At night, she rolls into her co-sleeper happy as a clam when she pulls off and goes right to sleep. We have it in the corner of the room, with the bed against the third side. So really, there's only one side she could fall out of and she has yet to to do that.
She did use the sides to pull up on, but that only happened when I was in the room. I was always in the room at the first peep of awakeness from her.

I nurse her down on our bed and put pillows on 3 sides and the co-sleeper is on the 4th side.

When she wakes up in the morning, she rolls over into the co-sleeper and plays until she's ready for me to come in and get her. Oh yes, she sleeps in the co-sleeper most of the night, but around 5/6, I just pull her in with me and after her early morning nurse, leave the room. She'll sleep longer if she's in there by herself than if I am laying with her.

We've discussed getting a crib to transition, but when we get our king-size bed, we'll just move the queen mattress into her room, get a rail (maybe), and I'll spend a couple of weeks or so helping her transition to sleeping in there. That way, when Wee Two comes along in a few months, he/she will have the co-sleeper.

Oh, and we hadn't gotten the ARCS, we'd probably have side-carred a crib like this http://www.freewebs.com/sidecarcrib/index.htm

Or could i just teach him not to pull up on it? Wouldn't that be the same as teaching a baby not to pull on the rails if you use those on an adult bed?
He is almost 5 months old, so is starting to get a bit mobile, and i want to have an idea of what is ahead.....

Thanks
-Larissa[/QUOTE]

#5 ·
We used the Arm's Reach until he was about 4 or 5 months old... He started pulling to standing not long after so the timing was just right. I found it easier to just keep him right in our bed anyway, as he was bigger & I was no longer paranoid about rolling over him or something! We now have a mattress on the floor that DH, DS & I sleep on... and after the first few weeks of having DS right in the bed I actually began to sleep BETTER despite the tossing & turning. Also I sleep with my head about at his belly level -- to avoid issues with blankets & pillows near his face.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.