baby wants to stomach sleep - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 15 Old 10-03-2009, 03:45 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
my son will be 6 months old in two weeks. this week, he's decided he likes stomach sleeping. no matter how I put him down, when I check him on the video monitor, he's flipped onto his belly.

do I need to worry about this (in regards to the whole "back to sleep" campaign) or just let it go? I can't imagine any solution except flipping him (and waking him up) every time I notice it.

he's been down for a nap for quite some time. does tend to sleep "deeper" it seems. wish I could relax and enjoy it. KWIM?

XOXO
B

mama to Milena Anjali (4/26/06) and Vincent Asher (4/13/09) ~ married to the love of my life since 2002.
#2 of 15 Old 10-03-2009, 03:48 PM

We were just at the ped for our 4 month WBV and she told us that if babe turns onto his tummy himself, not to turn him over. He's fine sleeping there.

I'm sure others would disagree.
#3 of 15 Old 10-03-2009, 03:48 PM

Nah. My kids were belly sleepers too. Let him be.

hh2.gif

#4 of 15 Old 10-03-2009, 03:59 PM

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayray View Post
We were just at the ped for our 4 month WBV and she told us that if babe turns onto his tummy himself, not to turn him over. He's fine sleeping there.
That's exactly what my ped said too. Mine slept better on their tummies, too, and took longer naps once they could roll over onto them. Go ahead, relax and enjoy!

Mom to DD 7 and DS 5.
#5 of 15 Old 10-03-2009, 04:17 PM

For a baby who can roll? I let mine be. Why in the world would I wake them?

Happy wife to DH superhero.gifand mama to DS signcirc1.gif11/05 and DD energy.gif8/07.
#6 of 15 Old 10-03-2009, 05:00 PM
Banned

Let your LO sleep. DD has been flipping on her stomach to sleep for the past 2 weeks and she isn't 4 months yet. I asked the ped and he said if she can roll onto her tummy she should be fine.

I know how you feel though. DH and I are constantly peeking in on her when she is napping just to make sure her nose is clear so she can breath
#7 of 15 Old 10-03-2009, 05:01 PM

I agree with everyone else. My 6 month old loves to sleep on his belly, too, and we just let him.
#8 of 15 Old 10-03-2009, 08:52 PM

If mine flipped by themselves, I left them alone.
#9 of 15 Old 10-03-2009, 09:55 PM

DD has always liked sleeping on her stomach. Always. When she around 3 months old I finally started being her down (after falling asleep on my) on her stomach. It's never been a problem for us. She doesn't do it anymore but that's because she prefers side sleeping now.

I wouldn't worry about it. At all.

Me with my baby girl Maeleigh (Oct 08) and My (step) baby girl Whren (May 05) in Heaven with her mommy .. And introducing our little JuneBug (June 10) We heard the !!!
#10 of 15 Old 10-03-2009, 10:18 PM

My DS has been sleeping on his tummy since he was a few weeks old... It's the only way he would stay asleep. (I sleep right next to him)

I say to what you (and your baby) are comfortable with.

Amanda , mama to my two boys: N (10/06) and : A (7/09)
#11 of 15 Old 10-04-2009, 12:01 AM

My Ds would flip to his tummy at a week old it would panick me at first but that is what he liked and still at 5 he is a stomach sleeper! I actually feel they are safer because if they spit up it will fall out of their mouths and when ds was a baby and he fell asleep on his back and needed to spit up he was chokeing on it I had to fling him up for it to come out but when he was on his belly the other time he spit up in his sleep it just came out! So that put my mind at ease and validated the fact that Ds knew what way he needed to sleep

Glenn bouncy.gif 11*09 Joe 4*04 peace.gif Me praying.gif & Hubby geek.gif

Quote:

#12 of 15 Old 10-04-2009, 06:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayray View Post

I'm sure others would disagree.
This is what mine said too.

obstruct livery vehicles

#13 of 15 Old 10-04-2009, 08:23 PM

My son has been sleeping on his tummy since he was about a month. I just placed him down that way because that was how he slept best. I wouldn't worry.

Mother to a crazy wonderful son born 7-11-09 and A very determined amazing daughter born 5-3-12!
#14 of 15 Old 10-05-2009, 09:06 PM

Both my girls slept on their bellies from almost birth.....Curled into me on their sides and then on their bellies. They both still sleep on their bellies and sleep sounder liked that.

When I was in the hospital I had an older nurse (I'm almost 35) with my first who is
5 1/2ish (she says...lol), "Oh, don't let any of these younger nurses see your new baby on her belly.....they'll freak out....but it's ok. I'm here until 11pm tonight so you're ok. Most babies sleep better that way anyways....." and she patted dd and my hand.

She was also the same nurse who cared for me after I had dd2 in 2007 and remembered me. It was nice. She was happy to see dd1 "all grown up" get in bed and snuggle with me and her new sister. "As it should be." and she left us be.

If they can roll on their belly, they should be fine....their heads should naturally turn to one side.....
#15 of 15 Old 10-06-2009, 05:43 PM

My son has slept on his tummy since he was 7 months old. I never worried about it.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page