is this that 9 month sleep regression? - Mothering Forums

#1 of 4 Old 10-10-2009, 10:52 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
my son is almost 9 months, always been a crappy sleeper...i've posted on here a few times complaining about being exhausted.

recently it seems he prefers my husband to put him to bed. he used to nurse to sleep in bed with me but now he just tries to roll over and crawl away while nursing over and over and over again. but if daddy rocks him to sleep he just puts his head down on dh's shoulder and conks out after like 40 seconds of rocking.

recently though he'll go to sleep for my husband by rocking, he'll bring him into me and i'll nurse him while he's still asleep. but now he's started doing the same roll over and crawl away thing so my husband has to take him to go be rocked again. sometimes this cycle of rock--fall asleep--nurse--wake self up by crawling--need to be rocked again can take like 2 hours. we're kind of getting sick of it...

i mean he's a proficient crawler now, so what is he doing? practicing in his sleep?

he's also started babbling in his sleep, too. he'll be dead asleep, and then out of nowhere will go "na-na-na-na-da-ba" or something and roll over and settle back down. it's kind of cute...except it wakes me up.

when he finishes a night-nursing session he rolls away from the boob and kind of arches his back. i'm kind of wondering if it's reflux -- the restless sleeping, the back-arching, and the waking up when being put down (he seems to prefer sleeping being held with his head on dh's shoulder). so what do i do if i suspect reflux? eliminate dairy and see if that helps? or call his ped and get a scrip for zantac or something?

oh, co-sleeping....you and your adventures.

sorry for the rambling post...

helpmeet. mama to Sam (1.18.09 ) and another baby boy (due 2.1.2011 ). planning our first .
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 4 Old 10-10-2009, 10:47 PM

that sounds very similar to our life! my daughter has been waking more since she stopped taking zantac...she's 10 months old. I wondered if her reflux was back-- she had silent reflux...the back arching and waking up minutes after being laid down was our clue when she was just a few weeks old. But recently the doc had us go cold turkey on the zantac as is sitting up more and eating better. Her eating has remained fine. She's spit up some, but she's also had a cold. I'm tempted to do a week of zantac to see if the sleep improves-- right now she wakes about 3 times a night!

My doc has always had the mentality of "if the zantac works, its reflux." It takes a couple days of taking it to see results.

I hate giving baby any medicine, but I did so reluctantly b/c of the sleeplessness. I'll be so dissappointed if we have to go back on it.

Good luck with your decision. I checked out a forum on reflux that was on The Baby Whisperer discussion forums. That gave me some helpful info from experienced reflux moms.

Hope this helps--- can you tell I'm still on the fence about whether the zantac was a good idea? Argh.
#3 of 4 Old 10-11-2009, 08:51 AM

From 5 months until two days ago, my son woke every 2-2.5 hours. Now he's waking hourly at was nine months yesterday. What changed? I have no idea and only hope it's because he's learning to walk. I feel so bad for the little guy having so little sleep. He's miserable with it but cannot put himself to sleep or stay there and sometimes nothing we can do will help.

babyboy.gif: 01/10/2009 and 09/29/2011

#4 of 4 Old 10-11-2009, 02:05 PM

The more I think about it, the more I wonder if it's not the excitement over new discoveries that wakes her up. This morning she crawled right to the end of the bed and wanted to play! I really think that that could be part of it. I'm going to pull out my no-cry sleep solution book and my Baby Whisperer book as well. I hope there is some wisdom in there that I can put into practice. Last night I forgot hte zantac and she woke only once...so I'm doubting that it's reflux now... good luck everyone. keep me posted, and get some rest-- have hubbies take over! yesterday I took a 3 hour nap!!

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page