My son is ten and sleeps in my bed - Page 2 - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#31 of 42 Old 03-04-2010, 03:58 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I have a friend who sleeps with all of her sons - aged 12, 10, 6, and 3, I think - in one room with a bunch of beds pushed together. It's so incredibly sweet! She is in many ways a very mainstream mom - I agree with everyone who has said that sleeping with others is completely natural and good for those involved. I don't still sleep with my 3yo, but I hope that he and his little brother sleep together once they're in their own room in a few years - and in the meantime, he's at least in the room with us, and the dog keeps him company in his bed!

My mom died 8 years ago, and I can't imagine the gift that having co-slept with her would have been - such closeness, over so much time, especially given that we have so little time together with those we love. Like I once said to my dh, all the time in the universe isn't enough to spend with you. That's how I feel about my kids, too, and co-sleeping helps us spend the time that we do have together.
#32 of 42 Old 03-04-2010, 04:26 PM

Haven’t read all of the posts yet, so sorry in advance if I repeat anything that’s already been said

Personal experience- *I* slept with my mom until I was 11! My parents divorced around that time, and I stayed with my dad, so I ended up in my own bed then, though I still shared a bed with my mom on our sleepover nights. Then years later, when I had my DS, we (mom, DS, & I) all shared a bed during sleepovers

My DS is almost 8, and he has a mattress in his room, and one in our room, so he can sleep where he chooses, and most of the time that ends up being with us. I like having him there. I like to be able to chat with him before bed, it when we have some of our best conversations.

Anyway, so many people don’t like to sleep alone! It makes me sad that so many people are against co-sleeping, especially as kids get older. Friends often sleep with each other at sleepovers! Couples get to sleep with each other! You don’t boot your spouse out of your bed after 2 years of marriage or whatever, why boot your kid out at a certain age?

Why on earth should it be an issue to sleep with a child you gave birth to?

My opinion is that as long as everyone in the family bed/room is ok with the setup, then it’s all good!

Liz om.gif Lovin' DH partners.gif DS (12) coolshine.gif and forever missing DD angel3.gif (12/02/07) ribbonpb.gif
From the withered tree, a flower blooms~ He's here!!! So crazy in love with my  rainbow1284.gif  boy!!! 12/14/11 luxlove.gif fly-by-nursing1.gif

#33 of 42 Old 03-04-2010, 05:58 PM

This thread is just what I needed to read. My DS is going to be 6 this month and I love having him still sleep with us. He does still need us to lay with him to go to sleep (which is vexing sometimes - especially when Lost is on ) but most nights it's ok because we'll read books then I'll read a book of my own while he's dozing off.

Dh has complained that DS kicks him in his sleep however, so I hope that doesn't cause problems... I love cuddling up to DS at night and would feel so lonely without him. (No offense, Dh!)

WOHM to a March 2004 kiddo and a November 2010 toddler. stillheart.gif

#34 of 42 Old 03-08-2010, 07:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 425lisamarie View Post
I remember climbing in to bed with my mom. Heck, as a teenager my dad traveling otu of town often and i'd sleep with my mom!!! We'd watch a movie or something, do homework or whatever and fall asleep, i loved it. No at 16 I didn't need to sleep with mom obviously, but we just never thought it was strange at all, it was like having a slumber party at that age.
Yep!

My brother and I took turns sleeping with mom when dad was out of town until I was about 14 and he was 12 or so. Before DD arrived, when Huz would travel, my mom would come visit and she would always sleep with me. I'm not sure if she would want to sleep with me and DD though. That's funny, I'd have to ask her! We are 53, 28, and 1.

#35 of 42 Old 03-08-2010, 07:14 PM

1. I slept with my mom whenever dad was out of town, well into adolescence.

2. DH's nephew slept with his grandmother whenever he was at her house - which was almost every weekend, school break, and all summer long - until he went to college last year. DH is not from the US. In his culture, children sleep with adults.

3. I once dated someone (American) who slept with his mother until he was at least 12. He was a totally normal, well-adjusted and functioning adult in his 30s.

DS, 10/07. Allergies: peanut, egg, wheat. We've added dairy back in. And taken it back out again. It causes sandpaper skin with itchy patches and thrashing during sleep. Due w/ #2 late April, 2012.

#36 of 42 Old 03-08-2010, 07:18 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I slept in the bed with my mom until I moved out with my now husband LOL. I dont' see anything wrong with it.

familybed1.gifnovaxnocirc.gif nut.gifMommy to my amazing 6 yr old dd, we homeschool.gif, and  27 weeks belly.gifpuke.gifand have been sick the whole time so far, grrrrr!!!!!!!

#37 of 42 Old 03-08-2010, 07:56 PM

DD16 slept with me for a loooong time - well into preteen years, and even after that she would sleep on the floor right beside my bed till only about a year ago. She did finally end it on her own. Hubby tried to say something to me once about the 'sanctity of the marriage bed' or some such nonsense but I let him know that since she slept with me when I was a single mom and she was tiny, I wasn't going to deny that to her just because she was older. Once hubby and I got together, she spent a couple of years on a youth bed sleeping right beside her brothers, and if she came into my room crawled right in beside me so I was in the middle. Then once she got her own room she was on her own by her choice some of the time, but she was always welcome to come in with me.

I would sleep with my boys now if they wanted to. One is 18 and one is 20. They do come and lay down and snuggle periodically, but they always make sure they have their own covers and I have mine

My mom still talks about how horrible it was that her little brother slept with his mom till he was 9, and that she thinks it was an obscene thing to do. He was the baby of nine kids and my grandma and grampa were split up, and he slept with her. Apparently my mom was totally scandalized. I think it was totally sweet and has a lot to do with the loving 50 something year old man he is today.
#38 of 42 Old 03-08-2010, 09:00 PM

When I was 17 I was in a foster home where in the morning I'd almost always see the 14yr and 12yr old bio sons plus the 9yr bio daughter along with the 3yr foster daughter all in the parents room, some on the floor depending on who kicked who out of the bed first lol, the foster baby had a bassinet right next to the bed too, I thought it was the sweetest thing.
#39 of 42 Old 03-08-2010, 09:00 PM

Quote:
at 10 a child is still very much a child, and sharing sleep with a parent or someone you love has no age limit IMO...
Absolutely! : )

And if anyone tells you differently, they're just full of crap really. Enjoy your son!
#40 of 42 Old 03-09-2010, 01:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmmom View Post
My mom died 8 years ago, and I can't imagine the gift that having co-slept with her would have been - such closeness, over so much time, especially given that we have so little time together with those we love. Like I once said to my dh, all the time in the universe isn't enough to spend with you. That's how I feel about my kids, too, and co-sleeping helps us spend the time that we do have together.
This thread is brilliant and your quote above, Jmmom, makes me feel teary!

I'm glad I can read such wonderful posts - thank you everyone.

My 4 year old is still sleeping with me (yes, you read that right - FOUR YEAR OLD) and my child less best girl friend thinks that is, "WRONG WRONG WRONG" to quote her actual words. I should show her this website. lol.
#41 of 42 Old 03-30-2010, 01:52 AM

If somebody said to me "don't you think s/he's too old?" I'd say, "Exactly what are you implying?"

Three out of my four children still sleep in my room with me. Two of them, eight and five years old, sleep on either side of me, and the other, eleven years old, sleeps in a bed next to ours. Up until recently (when he started staying up later than me) the eleven-year-old still liked to cuddle before going to sleep. I have no doubt he'd still be sleeping in my bed if there was room. Seriously, they're children, and I'm their mother. I'm supposed to tell them that they can't be comforted by my physical presence any longer just because they're no longer babies? Whatever! I feel sorry for the kids whose parents push them away before they're ready.
#42 of 42 Old 03-30-2010, 02:12 AM

I am 30 and when I had to go over to my mum's house early early in the morning so i could borrow her car to take my kid to school my daughter, myself and her would all bunk in in her bed.

When my nan comes over, we see how many of us we can fit into the bed.

lady Mummy to Smoosh, 8-2005. Waldorf inspired homeschooler and crazy knitter!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page