What age for even a small pillow? - Mothering Forums
Co-sleeping and the Family Bed > What age for even a small pillow?
pumpkin's Avatar pumpkin 03:22 PM 01-04-2010
I can't believe I am wondering this and DD is only 9 months. She has taken to seeking out something to rest her head on. We cosleep and so far this week she has crawled to the foot of the bed to rest her head on a pillow I had down there as a kind of rail, fought to use my pillow, and on multiple occasions decided my arm will do when I won't let her use anything else.

Everyone says no pillows or blankets, but obviously that warning expires at some point. I just have no idea if its a year or 5 years.

wednesday's Avatar wednesday 03:28 PM 01-04-2010
I've always read it's time for their own pillow when they start stealing yours. It's worked for my two anyway, lol.
sapphire_chan's Avatar sapphire_chan 04:18 PM 01-04-2010
If she can crawl, she can get her face out of the pillow if she has trouble breathing.

Besides, you're still right there. ;D
EviesMom's Avatar EviesMom 04:29 PM 01-04-2010
At 9 months, my kids were mobile enough that I don't think pillows are a danger. I gave him his first small pillow of his own at 1, and just gave him a full size pillow at 2 (and now I awake to him pushing me and insisting "Mama Off! Dis MINE pillow!" )
boheime's Avatar boheime 05:04 PM 01-04-2010
When tehy start stealing yours. My children have all pretty much claimed their own pillow between ages 2 and 2 1/2.
Ruthla's Avatar Ruthla 05:07 PM 01-04-2010
ITA with the others. If she's crawling and can easily lift her head off a pillow, she's old enough to use one safely.
elmh23's Avatar elmh23 06:25 PM 01-04-2010
At 9 months, dd walked over to the couch to get her own pillow. She couldn't drag it across the floor (she had just started walking) but I took the hint and got her her own pillow. With ds, he just started stealing mine at some point.
Drummer's Wife's Avatar Drummer's Wife 06:27 PM 01-04-2010
At 9 mos., I was def comfy w/them using a small pillow (or mine).
pumpkin's Avatar pumpkin 06:49 PM 01-04-2010
She is very mobile. Almost walking.
I think I'm going to look for a small firm pillow or maybe make one once I get my supplies unpacked.
bobandjess99's Avatar bobandjess99 07:11 PM 01-04-2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruthla View Post
ITA with the others. If she's crawling and can easily lift her head off a pillow, she's old enough to use one safely.

Mine actually slept on pillows from almost birth, but even as an EXTREMELY conservative recommendation, 9 months and crawling is certainly old enough to be safe, in my book.
DahliaRW's Avatar DahliaRW 08:26 PM 01-04-2010
My oldest had a small travel size pillow by that age. He went to a fullsized around 2yo. Actually, buying him a "grown up" pillow was what got him to sleep in his own bed!
~Katie~'s Avatar ~Katie~ 01:25 AM 01-05-2010
My DS has had a pillow since he was one or so but still refuses to sleep on it. He may fall asleep on it but will eventually scoot himself around or down so he isn't laying on it. Since she's sleeping with you I'd think 9 months would be fine for a pillow.
Super_mommy's Avatar Super_mommy 03:34 AM 01-05-2010
For some children 9 months would be fine but 1 year would be the best time to use pillow..
DevaMajka's Avatar DevaMajka 06:30 PM 01-05-2010
Moved to FBNP
seaheroine's Avatar seaheroine 11:28 PM 01-05-2010
I just bought one for my newly-2yo. She loves it, though she only uses it intermittently. I got it at One Step Ahead...it's so tiny and memory foam, just perfect.
spirit4ever's Avatar spirit4ever 12:07 AM 01-06-2010
Mine started At a year. Dd now almost 18 months uses it in her bed! But still stays tucked under my arm in my bed!
Up