Sleeping worse when starting to crawl/walk/etc? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 01-08-2010, 02:56 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I think I've read before that it's common for babies' sleep to get worse for a few days when they are just learning new things like crawling, walking, etc.
Is this true, or am I imagining that I read it before?

Ds usually wakes up 3 times a night to nurse. He nurses for 3 minutes or so, and rolls over and is back out. I move to my bed (sidecarred to his- he sleeps better without me beside him so he can roll over to get comfy), and he stays asleep for hours.
But the last few nights, his sleeping has been awful. I bet he hasn't slept a 2 hour stretch in 3 or 4 nights. Just yesterday was the first time he truly crawled, and he's been working on it all day today. Could this have anything to do with it?

He does have a tooth just starting to peek through- I guess it could be that as well.

I'm mostly curious about how common it is for babies to wake more frequently when on the verge of learning a new skill

Becky, partner to Teague, SAHM to Keagan (7yo), Jonah (2yo)

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-08-2010, 03:00 AM

My DS's sleep was definitely worse just before learning to crawl. Now that he's not so excited about crawling, he's back down to just 2-3 night wakings again.

“War is peace.
Freedom is slavery.
Ignorance is strength.”
― George Orwell, 1984
Old 01-08-2010, 03:01 AM

I don't know for sure but it seems to be true for my DD. She is starting to walk and for the past few nights she has woken up about every 45 minutes. :yawning

She has also had some especially rough nights right before she cuts teeth too.
Old 01-08-2010, 05:41 AM

totally a common reason for sleep regressions! Darn busy minds!

Your User Agreement here at MDC, read it and make it your friend and read the FAQ to answer all the questions of the (MDC) world.
Old 01-08-2010, 03:54 PM

oh dear lord yes... for my kids i knew instantly that they were on the verge of a new skill because their sleep went downhill.

earth.gif trottin', pole dancing, Norway and Sweden lovin' , hippie.gif,WOHM Kiddos born waterbirth.jpg 12/11/06 and 08/09/08 
belly.gif with #3 puke.gif EDD:01/2013 yikes2.gif So in love loveeyes.gif with my sweet Swede 2twins.gif and my bonus-son 10/25/98 carrot.gif

Old 01-09-2010, 01:17 AM

In the past 3 weeks, my son has learned how to sit up and crawl, and his first tooth has broken through in the past two days...needless to say, there hasn't been much sleep here.

The problem is that they learn so many new skills the first year and there are so many teeth...so sleep pretty much sucks for a while.

mama to DD (7), DS (3.5), and another DS arriving in August!

User Tag List