what size is your family bed??? - Page 2 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 02-26-2010, 11:41 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
We have a queen mattress next to a full mattress. It is BIG

With babies, it is dh, baby, and me on the queen. Now that they are 3 and 9, they both sleep next to us on the full.

My parents have a king size mattress in "our" guest room, so we can all sleep together at their house (they specifically bought a king for our family...nice, huh? ). We fit, but I'm glad we have the extra space of a queen+full at home. I'm also very, very glad our apt has large enough bedrooms for the mattresses to fit comfortably!

eta...a while back, there was something in the media about Brad Pitt having a special bed made for their large family. He mentioned the dimensions in the interview. I don't remember what they were, but it inspired me to measure ours--and ours was a couple inches bigger
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-26-2010, 11:49 AM

We have a queen sized Japanese futon on the floor. My husband, our almost 3 year old, and I sleep there (and the cats try but generally get booted out for being pesky). We also have a small mattress against that where my son used to start out the night. Now he wants to go to sleep in the middle, so I just end up partly on the small mattress when he gets possessive of the space in the bed.
We are trying to add to the family, and I was thinking to try to get a full or queen instead of the small mattress. I co-slept for a LONG time growing up. I seriously didn't sleep alone until I was probably 12 or 13. I slept with my little brother or my mom. When I moved into my own bed, it was a full. I had a twin in my college dorm, and that always seemed really small so I always figured we would transition our kids to fulls rather than twins.
With a full and a queen, there would be room for at least one adult and one child on each, and then we'd have a regular sized bed for whomever wanted to transition out later.
Has anyone tried this?
Old 02-26-2010, 11:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by possum View Post
With a full and a queen, there would be room for at least one adult and one child on each, and then we'd have a regular sized bed for whomever wanted to transition out later.
Has anyone tried this?
The post right above yours! That is what we have with our growing kids.

We also have a full sized bed in "dd's" room (the room she doesn't sleep in). So, our guests have a full sized bed. I've never really seen the point of twin sized mattresses, unless space is very tight. Full is more practical, imo.
Old 02-26-2010, 12:08 PM

We just bought a brand new king sized mattress that I'm in love with! Our plan is to sidecar the crib to it once baby is here. So, it'll be just DH, me, and new baby in a king plus side car. We like our space

(FWIW, I always hear people refer to california kings being bigger... but as far as I know they're just longer. I think they're actually narrower than a regular king. The dimensions I found online say that a standard king is 76" wide x 80" long, and a cali king is 72" wide x 84" long)

Hippie sympathizer and mom to L, 4.8.10.
Pet-mom to Squirt with FLUTD & Maya the deaf wonder dog .
Old 02-26-2010, 12:29 PM

We had a queen when dd was born. The at about a year, we had to dispose of it and moved onto a futon mattress until we decided to buy a king size. Now we're expecting a baby again and we're so happy to have made that purchase. I think if you cosleep, why on earth would you spend money decorating a nursery that is only meant to last a couple of years, only to end up not being used at all, when you could redirect that money to a use for the whole family that will last a decade or more?

Our king size mattress fit up our narrow u shaped stairs. The mattress itseld usually bends quite a lot so that it can be moved, and if you get a box spring for it, it comes in two parts. So a king size should fit up most stairs, considering it fit up ours.

Best material item family investment yet, imo.

SAHM to DD 03/08 & DD 06/10 made with love with my DP

Old 02-26-2010, 12:55 PM

King +Queen (soon to be a King too)... The Queen was our first bed, the we upgrade to a King (was before we had kids),but we storage the Queen. Later somebody give us a King (almost new) that is in the storage. Our room is just one bed from wall to wall. THe box spring are in the floor.

Mama of and , partners.gif with  Love
Old 02-26-2010, 09:40 PM

We have a Queen for Dh, DS(2) and myself. Sometime DD(4) joins us as well. I am expecting baby #3 in June, adn we might try to put DS into his own twin at that time.... we will see. DS has always co-slept as he HATED the crib.

Penny(34), DH Leon(36) DD Abi (4) DS Jacob (2)
Old 02-27-2010, 12:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunnmama View Post
The post right above yours! That is what we have with our growing kids.

We also have a full sized bed in "dd's" room (the room she doesn't sleep in). So, our guests have a full sized bed. I've never really seen the point of twin sized mattresses, unless space is very tight. Full is more practical, imo.
Oops! Thanks. I suppose I was probably writing while you were, but it took me longer than you because I can never do things in one sitting with a 2 year old nearby.
I agree, I think twins are just too cramped unless you really don't have much space (like in my college dorm room).
Thanks for pointing out the obvious because I rarely go back and reread the posts after mine after I have read the thread initially. I would have missed yours in the timing!
Melinda

User Tag List