what size is your family bed??? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 38 Old 01-13-2010, 02:24 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
We're having a hard time over here... the queen sized bed is just NOT big enough for us and our sprangly baby. (ETA: we just spent the weekend in a hotel in a king, and we all slept the best we have in months.) So we're trying to figure out a way to make our bed bigger w/o spending a ton of money...

We're thinking we should get 2 twin xl mattresses and put them together on the floor (to make a king)... Is there a better way? What makes your family bed?
#2 of 38 Old 01-13-2010, 02:30 PM

We also have a queen, and I wish it was a king. We married young, slept on the floor for months before we could afford a bed, then we finally ordered a memory foam queen sized bed and were so happy. And thats when I found out I was pregnant. There was no way we were going to get a bigger bed at that point. So far, co-sleeping has not been as successful as I had hoped. DS spends most nights sleeping in his cradle swing, and sleeps with me on the bed while DH is as work. Every now and then we all sleep together, or I will have DH sleep on the couch, but I really dont know what to do either. I dont see the point in getting two small mattresses to put together, would it really be that much cheaper than buying a king? Perhaps you can find a used king mattress on craigslist or something similar instead. Otherwise some people connect their cribs to the bed and just take off the side of the crib thats towards the bed. Sorry, Im not much help!
#3 of 38 Old 01-13-2010, 02:39 PM

We have a King now, but before that we co-slept, often with 2 LO's, in a Full. It was snug, to say the least.

ribboncesarean.gif cesareans happen.
#4 of 38 Old 01-13-2010, 02:47 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mariekitt24 View Post
I dont see the point in getting two small mattresses to put together, would it really be that much cheaper than buying a king? Perhaps you can find a used king mattress on craigslist or something similar instead. Otherwise some people connect their cribs to the bed and just take off the side of the crib thats towards the bed. Sorry, Im not much help!
we can't fit a king sized mattress up the stairs in our house-- the queen barely made it! And surprisingly, it is cheaper to do a "split king". Kings are over $1000, but it looks like you can find 2 twins for maybe $400. Then we'd put king sheets and a pad to hold it together. But maybe there's a better way we're not thinking of. We really want to keep her IN bed w/ us... the crib/cosleeper has never appealed.
#5 of 38 Old 01-13-2010, 02:49 PM

Queen. 2 adults and a 3 yr old.

Mom to A 11/06: Researching : to grow our family
#6 of 38 Old 01-13-2010, 02:56 PM

We just have a regular "full" or "double" or "standard" and we all 3 fit just fine.
#7 of 38 Old 01-13-2010, 03:02 PM

We have 300x210. That is one 180x210 and one 120x210.
Us and 3-4 kids sleep comfortable in there.

-pixie, my dear, and (A-88), N-98, Littlest-06/00-08/00, J-03 & Little Miss Cotton Ball Button-03 (SN), S-05, Hope-loss 09/09, Bean-loss 04/10, and littlePopcorn due feb. 8th -11.
#8 of 38 Old 01-13-2010, 03:36 PM

We are in the same boat. Our plan is to buy a twin put it right next to our queen bed and move her out in that. Then we get our lovely queen back to ourselves.... someday

farming with 2 wild things and their hot daddy uc.jpg
#9 of 38 Old 01-13-2010, 03:47 PM

We have a full (on the floor) with a crib mattress beside it. But the crib mattress isn't really "used", it's just to have an extra inch or two so no one accidentally ends up on the floor. It's a little tight with the 3 of us plus a pillow between DS & DH!! Some nights I do look forward to when DH gets up early for work so I can sprawl out a bit more!

Co-sleeping is really wonderful when your child actually SLEEPS!! familybed1.gif
#10 of 38 Old 01-13-2010, 04:01 PM

We have a queen pushed up against a twin, which I guess would be similar in size to a king? For a while it was all four of us, but now it's me, DH, and the baby, with DD in her own room. Some nights the baby starts out in his crib, and on those nights it feels so good to have all that space to sprawl! It sounds like a lot of space for only 3, except that the baby somehow takes up the whole queen, with me and DH on the twin.

“War is peace.
Freedom is slavery.
Ignorance is strength.”
― George Orwell, 1984
#11 of 38 Old 01-13-2010, 04:09 PM

We have a king. 2 adults and at least 1 child. Sometimes 2 children. It fits us all just fine, but I can't imagine having a smaller bed

Emily ~ SAHM to E (6), E (4), and M (3). Happily homeschooling and planning a homestead.

#12 of 38 Old 01-13-2010, 04:22 PM

We have a King Futon http://www.thefutonstore.net/buyonli...roducts_id=106 all under $400 and very comfy....we have the Royal Firm mattress. We just ordered the drawers to go with it too.

PAT- photosmile2.gif Mommy to a super little boy kid.gif Tyr -Nov 17, 2006 Married to joy.gif Sky -August 28, 1993 
Sadly, Jan 21, 2011  m/c 6w5d  angel.gif
#13 of 38 Old 01-13-2010, 04:52 PM

we have a queen and a crib sidecared. 2 adults and a 24 mo old.

Mama to E (12/07) and M (01/11). homebirth.jpg
#14 of 38 Old 01-13-2010, 04:56 PM

we have a king turned sideways to make it a bit wider, that fits all 5 of us.
#15 of 38 Old 01-13-2010, 06:41 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by major_mama11 View Post
We have a queen pushed up against a twin, which I guess would be similar in size to a king?
Are they just mattresses or are they on box springs and frames? How do you keep the two from separating? Or is it not an issue?
#16 of 38 Old 01-13-2010, 06:45 PM

We have a king, and I have a feeling that's going to feel pretty snug when #2 comes along in May.

Have you seen the updated user agreement yet?
#17 of 38 Old 01-13-2010, 09:38 PM

We went from a queen to a king when I was pregnant for the third time. Thank goodness we did because we ended up welcoming twins and it's nice to have more room. Now that they're 18 months and sprawling out more even the king is tight. In your situation I would probably get a twin to put beside the queen and then you have a twin size bed for your baby whenever she is ready to get her own room.

Karen - spouse to dh for 11 years, mama to ds (Nov '02), dd (May '05) and ds and dd (Jun '08)

#18 of 38 Old 01-13-2010, 10:12 PM

When dd was little, we did the queen with the crib sidecarred. She never actually slept in the crib, it just provided some safety room. When she started to crawl, we put the queen on the ground (box spring in storage, as the two combined still puts you about 2 feet off the ground) and bought a twin box spring and mattress to shove up next to the queen. So now the twin is about 2-3 inches higher than the queen, whereas without the twin box spring, the twin mattress would be about 6 inches lower than the queen. I actually like this arrangement because dd and I sleep quite comfortably together in the queen, and dh sleeps in the twin. DH and I are still close enough to talk, hang out, snuggle, whatever, but when it's time to actually sleep, I feel like there's a safe separation between him (deep sleeper) and dd.
They shove together quite snugly- I have no worries about safety while sleeping. DD likes to run and jump around on the beds when awake, so there is a concern that her little foot will get caught between the queen and twin while doing that. That's the only safety issue, and that's obviously one that has nothing to do with cosleeping and is easily remedied.
#19 of 38 Old 01-14-2010, 01:38 AM

we had a full when it was 3 of us, now that it is 4 of us we have a king but have made it work in queens before no problem.

earth.gif trottin', pole dancing, Norway and Sweden lovin' , hippie.gif,WOHM Kiddos born waterbirth.jpg 12/11/06 and 08/09/08 
belly.gif with #3 puke.gif EDD:01/2013 yikes2.gif So in love loveeyes.gif with my sweet Swede 2twins.gif and my bonus-son 10/25/98 carrot.gif

#20 of 38 Old 01-14-2010, 01:53 AM

Ours is a king. When we visit relatives and sleep on full sized beds, it feels pretty cramped. Can you get a used mattress from a nicer used furniture store?

Mama to Ella, 6/23/08
#21 of 38 Old 01-14-2010, 03:27 AM

we have a full. 3 fit fine for us, we can (and regularly do) do 4, its definitely "snug".

id love something bigger, or at least a twin on the side or something, but mattress chemicals scare the poop out of me. (hence why we only have a full, it was get a full size that wasnt scary, or larger that was.) and i havnt been able to justify the cost of adding more mattress to our room with my standards.

that said, i also have a pp's issue, of stuff not fitting up the stairs. weve had to do the mattress on the floor because the foundation (boxspring) wont go up the stairs.

3dds and me (and dh)
#22 of 38 Old 01-14-2010, 07:55 AM

We have a queen for my husband, my son and me. I'd love one of those huge California kings, but I also have this sneaking suspicion that no matter how large the bed is, little dude will still find ways to smush us by spreading out more.
#23 of 38 Old 01-14-2010, 09:58 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Hmm- I was just coming on here to ask this question! Pregnant with # 1 and up until now dh and I slept on a full. We just bought a new expensive and awesome mattress- but a Queen! We just this morning moved it into our room and the guy helping us move mentioned how he and his wife sleep in a Cal king with their 2 LO's and hoe a queen might be too small! I am worried about this now as we just paid a lot of money for an excellent mattress and box spring. We are getting a co sleeper but I keep hearing that I will end up wanting the baby in the bed more than the co sleeper.
We cannot afford to get a new king mattress after paying all this money for our Queen and our Queen is non returnable (we got the floor model at 40% off). So this is what we will have. I hope we don't regret it- we just had no idea- some told us- get a king, yet others said- queen is fine- and the king just seemed so huge, especially since for the last 5 yrs dh and I have managed fine with a full. So that's what we did.
#24 of 38 Old 01-14-2010, 10:01 AM

When we moved this summer we wanted teh biggest bed we could find because we knew the queen we had before was not big enough for us with one child, much less the occasional second. SO we went to Ikea and bought what I guess is a king. it is 2 meters (200cm)by 180 cm. Lots of room.

Mamma to dd1 3/8/07, one 9.5.08, and dd2 9/9/09
#25 of 38 Old 01-14-2010, 12:32 PM

We have a Cali King. And we sleep sideways on it for more room. LOL
And now my DS is sleeping on a toddler bed next to us.

With one baby and the two of us, the Cal King was fine. At least for me. My husband would squish to the edge of the bed (even though he didn't need to) and then complain he didn't have room.

With two kids, it is tougher. Now that DD is older it can work out (at least when we sleep sideways). But no way can the two kids sleep next to each other...they wake each other up.
#26 of 38 Old 02-26-2010, 12:18 AM

We're thinking of getting a twin and snugging it up next to our queen. We had a futon mattress next to our queen bed (off the frame) with ds 1. That worked okay but I'd like to keep our bed as one bed. We did eventually get ds 1 a twin and we had them together for a few months before we started the process of no longer cosleeping. So I figured we'll need a twin for ds 2 as he outgrows the family bed anyway.
#27 of 38 Old 02-26-2010, 12:21 AM

We have a king with one 2yo and another soon on the way. It's working great so far, but we'll have to see what happens when we add the new guy to it.

Have you seen the updated user agreement yet?
#28 of 38 Old 02-26-2010, 01:01 AM

We have a king size that sleeps me,hubby and the 1 and 2 yr old. Sometimes our 8 and 5 year old creep in the bed at night,which is no fun for my poor back. I just found out that I am pregnant so I might be moving to the sofa

: 2:Ma To 6 :12,8,7,5,2,1&
#29 of 38 Old 02-26-2010, 01:26 AM

we have a king with a twin next to it. Both are mattresses on the floor. We're all very tall people and like our space . I'm thinking of getting a crib mattress to put up next to the other side of the king once the new baby comes. I guess my goal is to have the entire floor be covered with beds

To the OP, I would highly suggest getting a twin to sidecar next to your bed. That way once your lo is ready to move to her own room, you won't have to buy her a new bed. I got ds' twin for free from a co-worker, and I see them for sale all the time for under 40 bucks on craigslist.

Enjoying life with DH since 05/04 and our two boys Oliver 02/07 and Theodore 07/10 

#30 of 38 Old 02-26-2010, 10:25 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oliver'sMom View Post
To the OP, I would highly suggest getting a twin to sidecar next to your bed. That way once your lo is ready to move to her own room, you won't have to buy her a new bed. I got ds' twin for free from a co-worker, and I see them for sale all the time for under 40 bucks on craigslist.
that's what we ended up doing and it is AWESOME. I LOVE our family bed

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page