Is anyone totally content in a QUeen with them, their dh and one baby? - Mothering Forums
1 2 
Co-sleeping and the Family Bed > Is anyone totally content in a QUeen with them, their dh and one baby?
Snapdragon's Avatar Snapdragon 11:31 AM 01-14-2010
Just having a momentary freak out here! Posted this on another thread but wanted more feedback. Expecting baby #1 in 6 weeks or so. For the last 5 yrs dh and I have been sleeping on a full sized mattress. It was a very uncomfy bed so we just invested in a nice (expensive) new Queen sized mattress and box spring. Some told us to get a king if we plan to co sleep but we thought I king was just too huge. We just moved the new mattress upstairs today and now I am wishing we had gotten a King sized! The guy who helped us move it says he co sleeps with his wife and two LO's in a cal king and that we may find the queen too small
I am planning on getting an arm's reach co sleeper but this guy also said they started with one of those but ended up not wanting it and just wanting the babies in bed with them, and that we might find the same.
So the thing is our mattress is non returnable plus we pais a lot for it and can't really buy a king now. I think had we realized we could have afforded a king but not now since we already got the queen!
So now I am concerned because being pregnant sleep has become a hot commodity and I know will be more so when we have the baby.

So- has anyone done really well co sleeping with one baby and their dh in a queen- especially with a co sleeper attached? Or did we just make a really bad choice? We had people telling us- get a king, but others saying- no, a queen is plenty- and we got a good deal on this queen-. so- thoughts?

Snapdragon's Avatar Snapdragon 11:38 AM 01-14-2010
Replying to myself here with a follow up thought- I guess if when the baby get s bigger if it gets too tight we could get a less expensive type of twin bed box spring and mattress and put it nest to our QUeen- like right up against it, right? Though I am not sure if the gap would make it uncomfortable.
I am bummed that we didn't get the king already though! So many mistakes to make in this process as we learn. We were so proud of ourselves too- for finding and getting this great new mattress (which we are going to use for the first time tonight!) so we thoght we had made a good choice at the time.
nutritionistmom's Avatar nutritionistmom 11:48 AM 01-14-2010
We sleep in a queen. It seems less crowded now that ds is 3 and were not so concerned about maintaining enough space around him to not squish, suffocate, etc. I have a mesh rail (like you would put on the side of a toddler bed) that I keep on my side of the bed to prevent falls and when ds was very little I mostly kept him between me and the rail. Now I don't worry about what side he's on because he can fight back if daddy's arm is squashing him.
MamaMelis's Avatar MamaMelis 11:58 AM 01-14-2010
We coslept happily in a queen with one child and an arms reach cosleeper ~ It was when I started to get big pregnant with #2 that it felt too small and we bumped up to a king.

I did like the cosleeper (even when we had baby #2 and the king bed) because it let me start baby out there for the night, and then when they wanted to nurse that first time I would pull them into bed with me for the remainder of the night. it also let me nurse baby on either breast/side without having to worry about baby falling out of bed when they were nursing on the outside breast, if that makes sense. It let DH and I have the sanctity of our bed while watching tv or reading before bed (or doing other things ) while baby slept happily in the cosleeper, without us having to worry about bumping into them/rousing them.
Snapdragon's Avatar Snapdragon 12:00 PM 01-14-2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by MamaMelis View Post
We coslept happily in a queen with one child and an arms reach cosleeper ~ It was when I started to get big pregnant with #2 that it felt too small and we bumped up to a king.

I did like the cosleeper (even when we had baby #2 and the king bed) because it let me start baby out there for the night, and then when they wanted to nurse that first time I would pull them into bed with me for the remainder of the night. it also let me nurse baby on either breast/side without having to worry about baby falling out of bed when they were nursing on the outside breast, if that makes sense. It let DH and I have the sanctity of our bed while watching tv or reading before bed (or doing other things ) while baby slept happily in the cosleeper, without us having to worry about bumping into them/rousing them.
Great to hear this! This is exactly what I am hoping to experience- that the co sleeper is actually very useful and that with it the queen will be plenty comfy for all of us. Here's hoping!
nutritionistmom's Avatar nutritionistmom 12:21 PM 01-14-2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katie34 View Post
Replying to myself here with a follow up thought- I guess if when the baby get s bigger if it gets too tight we could get a less expensive type of twin bed box spring and mattress and put it nest to our QUeen- like right up against it, right? Though I am not sure if the gap would make it uncomfortable.
I am bummed that we didn't get the king already though! So many mistakes to make in this process as we learn. We were so proud of ourselves too- for finding and getting this great new mattress (which we are going to use for the first time tonight!) so we thoght we had made a good choice at the time.
We did this for awhile. I would push ds over to the twin when he was done nursing, but he always managed to wiggle his way back so it didn't really give any more space. Now the twin is in his room and occasionally he naps there or starts the night there if we want some privacy. But he's pretty adamant that he sleeps with us.
hotharmony's Avatar hotharmony 01:31 PM 01-14-2010
We sleep in a queen, we started with a arms reach next to my side of the bed but never really used it other than for peace of mind that if LO rolled he would land in the cosleeper instead of the floor. But now it is DS, DH, me, 2 50lb dogs and 1 15lb dog in the queen with one bed rail on my side. We all sleep pretty well.
almadianna's Avatar almadianna 01:38 PM 01-14-2010
We coslept with one child in a full and we were fine.
goldenapple's Avatar goldenapple 03:09 PM 01-14-2010
I have a 6 mo baby and we cosleep in a queen. Bought a mini co-sleeper because dh was worried about being squished but I didn't like using it. It started ut at the side of the bed but we moved it bec it made getting in and out of the bed too difficult (i had a cesearian birth). Moved it to the foot of the bed, hated that too because it was sooo hard to get out of bed and pick him up (he was a big 9 pounder). It is soooo much easier to sleep next to baby, we can nurse without fully waking. In the cosleeper he would hsave to cry to wake me. we slept with him in the middle at first, but dh sleeps better if baby sleeps with me on outside of bed. Now that hes mobile I have a toddler bedrail on my side. My advice, skip the co-sleeper, you probably won't use it. (BTW, the mom I bought mine from sold it because they never used it either!)
rebeccalizzie's Avatar rebeccalizzie 03:18 PM 01-14-2010
I think everyone is different, I couldn't sleep with DS in the queen bed when he was really tiny--I was so worried about squishing him that I ended up having to make this C shape around him with my body and it was horrible. Just not enough room. So for us, the cosleeper would have been great if DS had been able to sleep anywhere near me, LOL. We have one and are going to try it again with this baby, hopefully it's a heavier sleeper.
Maluhia's Avatar Maluhia 04:36 PM 01-14-2010
We liked the Queen until DD turned about 4. Although she's usually in her bed she spends the mornings with me after DH goes to work and sometimes we want her with us through the night and I wish we had a King.
Tera_&_Gibson's Avatar Tera_&_Gibson 04:41 PM 01-14-2010
The queen was ok for us till DS was about 4...then there was just not enough room.
_ktg_'s Avatar _ktg_ 04:47 PM 01-14-2010
We have 2 l.o. (3 1/2 & 1yr) and I wish we had a king, but we're considering to just break down our bed frame, and squish our full matteress next to the queen so we can all have a bit of space. We are all toss/turners in our sleep, and no one likes getting a slap to face at 3am.
sunshynbaby's Avatar sunshynbaby 04:52 PM 01-14-2010
We are happily co-sleeping in a Queen with a crib side-cared but rarely used. I really want to change to a King on the floor (for safety) when he starts crawling, though. He isn't getting any smaller, and it would just be a little bit easier.
Baby_Cakes's Avatar Baby_Cakes 06:19 PM 01-14-2010
Wow, I guess I'll be the one to disagree. A queen just isn't big enough for the 3 of us. Physically, we all fit, but to be comfortable and not wake up with a stiff body it just isn't large enough.

Hopefully we are the odd ones and it works out fine for you! We couldn't fit a king in our room even if we cleared out all the other furniture!!
Snapdragon's Avatar Snapdragon 07:19 PM 01-14-2010
yeah, I guess it sounds like if given the choice most people would much prefer a king! But that many do fine in a Queen. Oh well! Right now we are moving from an uncomfy full sized futon to a comfortable new Queen mattress so I will just enjoy that and let the rest play out!
Thanks for the responses.
lkmiscnet's Avatar lkmiscnet 03:09 AM 01-15-2010
My husband has been banished to our spare bedroom. He is 6'2" and our DS is 7 mo and still wakes every 2 hours, so for the sake of all of us getting a good night sleep, we felt it best to sleep separately. Plus, DH wakes up at 4:30am so he really needs a good nights sleep for work. We have a sidecar crib next to the queen, but it hasn't been used since Nov. Just so much easier to get some sleep by side lying nursing. And, it was hurting my back to try to hoist him in and out of the crib, while kneeling on the bed.

Also, I like to sleep with my comforter bundled around me like a sleeping bag because we have the heat down to 61 at night (and I still sweat!), and I feared covering the baby with the comforter and smothering him. So, I give him a wide berth and keep the blankets on just my half of the bed, and he sleeps in a long sleeved sleep sack. So, he takes up half the bed (or more than that lately) and I get the edge of the bed. I also have a side rail between him and the crib because of the gap.

Once we either remodel our house or move, we plan to immediately buy a king. We needed one with just the two of us for years!

A queen can work. It just depends on the people in it...
EviesMom's Avatar EviesMom 03:20 AM 01-15-2010
We have a queen. It was fine when we only had DD, and it's fine when DD is in her own bed so it's DH, me, and DS now. But when she comes in, we're far too tightly packed. Also, our bed is surrounded on 3 sides by walls (built in), which makes it more comfortable to be closer to or even right at the edge, no sense of near falling or anything. When I've done a queen in a hotel, it is less comfortable space wise.
TiredX2's Avatar TiredX2 03:30 AM 01-15-2010
We were totally fine with DP, DD & I. We were really happy to get a queen, but DD was almost two at that point, then I was pg & soon with as DP, DD, DS & I. The times we have had to do that in a queen (or a full ) once the kids were a little older have not been that cool!
StoriesInTheSoil's Avatar StoriesInTheSoil 04:32 AM 01-15-2010
We co-sleep comfortably in a Queen. The Arm's Reach was nice in the early months but I don't think we'll be using it next time. Soon, we're putting a twin next to our bed for DS to sleep in when/if he chooses. If he's still in our bed when the next baby is on the way, we'll be selling our bed and buying a king
ScooterMama1's Avatar ScooterMama1 06:25 AM 01-15-2010
We slept quite well with our singleton babies in our queen. It was a lot harder when our twins came along! It took us a bit of getting used to the new sleeping arrangements, but worked out well in the end. Good luck!
urchin_grey's Avatar urchin_grey 07:49 AM 01-15-2010
SO, DS, and I are fine in a queen (DS is 4 but smaller than most 2 year olds). If he were a crazy sleeper or big for his age, I'd be wanting a king by now.
NettleTea's Avatar NettleTea 10:07 AM 01-15-2010
It worked out fine for the three of us. We used a bed rail to prevent the little one from falling off. Never had any problems.
leaves's Avatar leaves 10:35 AM 01-15-2010
we've co-slept with our DS in a queen for the past five months, and it's been okay. i would prefer a larger bed, but the queen in fine, for now. and DH is a big guy. i don't know how we'd sleep with more than one kid though.
motherbirth's Avatar motherbirth 10:39 AM 01-15-2010
We have a queen with a sidecarred crib but the babe never goes into the crib part, so we are all in the queen just fine. Note: DH and I are both thin people; we used to sleep together in a single bed when staying over his parents' house, so YMMV.
momoftworedheads's Avatar momoftworedheads 11:04 AM 01-15-2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katie34 View Post
Just having a momentary freak out here! Posted this on another thread but wanted more feedback. Expecting baby #1 in 6 weeks or so. For the last 5 yrs dh and I have been sleeping on a full sized mattress. It was a very uncomfy bed so we just invested in a nice (expensive) new Queen sized mattress and box spring. Some told us to get a king if we plan to co sleep but we thought I king was just too huge. We just moved the new mattress upstairs today and now I am wishing we had gotten a King sized! The guy who helped us move it says he co sleeps with his wife and two LO's in a cal king and that we may find the queen too small
I am planning on getting an arm's reach co sleeper but this guy also said they started with one of those but ended up not wanting it and just wanting the babies in bed with them, and that we might find the same.
So the thing is our mattress is non returnable plus we pais a lot for it and can't really buy a king now. I think had we realized we could have afforded a king but not now since we already got the queen!
So now I am concerned because being pregnant sleep has become a hot commodity and I know will be more so when we have the baby.

So- has anyone done really well co sleeping with one baby and their dh in a queen- especially with a co sleeper attached? Or did we just make a really bad choice? We had people telling us- get a king, but others saying- no, a queen is plenty- and we got a good deal on this queen-. so- thoughts?

My husband and I have been co-sleeping with 1-2 of our kids for years on a queen. Right now it is my DH, then my son (who is 4), then me, then the baby and a co-sleeper attached. If the baby is not in the co-sleeper, then he is right next to it, then I am right there. It is ok.

We are thinking of adding a twin sidecar for our 4 year old. We have 4 kids and have co-slept with each of them. The queen bed has always been fine.

Good luck to you. With one, I think a queen bed will be ok.

Take care!

Jen, mama to 4 fun and energetic boys, one angel princess who we will never forget, RAA.
Deir's Avatar Deir 07:08 PM 01-15-2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by MamaMelis View Post
We coslept happily in a queen with one child and an arms reach cosleeper ~ It was when I started to get big pregnant with #2 that it felt too small and we bumped up to a king.

I did like the cosleeper (even when we had baby #2 and the king bed) because it let me start baby out there for the night, and then when they wanted to nurse that first time I would pull them into bed with me for the remainder of the night. it also let me nurse baby on either breast/side without having to worry about baby falling out of bed when they were nursing on the outside breast, if that makes sense. It let DH and I have the sanctity of our bed while watching tv or reading before bed (or doing other things ) while baby slept happily in the cosleeper, without us having to worry about bumping into them/rousing them.
I felt like the co- sleeper helped give us a place for one arm
wombatclay's Avatar wombatclay 07:20 PM 01-15-2010
One baby? Queen was fine and the co-sleeper was a nice space for necessities like diapers/water bottle/snack/etv.

One baby and a toddler? Queen was less fine, co-sleeper important for storage but also for space.

One baby and one toddler and one preschooler? Queen not so good.

We are currently DH/DS/I in the queen and dd1/dd2 on an air mattress (sibling bed) and it's great. At one point we put the queen on the floor and pushed a twin up against it and that was plenty of space.
limette's Avatar limette 01:02 AM 01-16-2010
We are 4 (2 adults, 4yr old and 22 month old) in a queen and it's getting a little snug. 3 was great.

When baby is born in August someone is moving to the floor!
mamadelbosque's Avatar mamadelbosque 02:10 AM 01-16-2010
We have a queen and its fine for co-sleeping with one. We do have a crib side carred, but its mostly just a 'stuff holder' - DS2 almost never sleeps in there. The bed does get a bit on the crowded side when DS1 tries to come in and sleep with us too, but for just two adults and a baby its fine
1 2 

Up