cosleeping with toddler and newborn? Possible? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 11 Old 01-25-2010, 02:47 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
So here's the thing, I love co-sleeping

We have been sleeping together happily for two years, and with a babe on the way I fully expect to continue this trend with him/her.

Now I'm faced with the dilemma: do I move DD into her own toddler bed, or attempt to co-sleep with a newborn and almost 3 year old? Is this even possible? Does anyone have tips/advice for me

blogging.jpg    fambedsingle2.gif  homebirth.jpg  read.gif  happy momma to DD 8/07 and DS 6/10
#2 of 11 Old 01-25-2010, 03:28 PM

While I don't have any practical advice since we only have one right now, the plan for us is to add a twin mattress next to our bed so we have more room for the next baby. We're not small people and all three of us in a full size bed is pretty close.

><> I'm a Christian, knitting, sewing, cooking SAHM to the fearless adventurer Jack born 11/08, and  a  USCG wife
And we are joyfully awaiting a new addition in April 2011! <><
#3 of 11 Old 01-25-2010, 06:23 PM

Yes it can work.
I am sleeping with DD 5 DS1 3 and DS2 2 mos.
I put the bigger kid(s) on one side and baby on the other.
We also pushed together a double a single bed for lots of space.

Mommy to Petunia 11/04 Bug 10/06 Button 11/09 and  Sweetie pea 12/11 DW to J :

#4 of 11 Old 01-25-2010, 08:55 PM

Yes, of course it can work!
We co-sleep with the baby, the 4 yo. and the two 6 yos. We have since they were little.
Works wonderful. Just put yourself or your SO between the baby and the older sibling.

-pixie, my dear, and (A-88), N-98, Littlest-06/00-08/00, J-03 & Little Miss Cotton Ball Button-03 (SN), S-05, Hope-loss 09/09, Bean-loss 04/10, and littlePopcorn due feb. 8th -11.
#5 of 11 Old 01-25-2010, 10:22 PM

I am so excited to see these posts....this is going to be us in the next few weeks....we have a queen with a three year old in it, and a newborn any day now. I can't really talk about it in real life - no one around me believes in co-sleeping.

Jill :, partner to DH:, mother to DD 11/06 :, DD 2/2010 .
#6 of 11 Old 01-25-2010, 10:52 PM - Thread Starter

We have a queen too! DD likes to sleep practically on top of me, but most times I can just sort of scoot her over so I can have more room.

I know it seems like a silly question, but I have to put my mind to rest. I really love co-sleeping and I' NOT ready [and she's not either] to have DD in her own bed.

blogging.jpg    fambedsingle2.gif  homebirth.jpg  read.gif  happy momma to DD 8/07 and DS 6/10
#7 of 11 Old 01-25-2010, 11:06 PM

I think it is possible depending on how both of your children sleep. For us, it didn't end up working out. DD would always wake DS in the middle of the night and vice versa, so I had two crying children to contend with and a toddler who definitely wasn't getting enough sleep. Prior to DD being born, DS slept in a twin pushed up against our bed. He ended up moving into the room across the hall and transitioned really well, so no issues there. If you don't have issues with them waking each other up it's totally possible

ribbonyellow.gif Army wife ribbonyellow.gif - Mama to Liam waterbirth.jpg (9/07), Laine uc.jpg (5/09), and Eliza h20homebirth.gif (7/11)

#8 of 11 Old 01-25-2010, 11:13 PM

Do you think it would be better to push a single bed against a full bed or just get a queen or king?

Mama to expecting Babe 2
#9 of 11 Old 01-26-2010, 01:03 AM

for me I'd ideally get a king

Your User Agreement here at MDC, read it and make it your friend and read the FAQ to answer all the questions of the (MDC) world.
#10 of 11 Old 01-26-2010, 03:13 AM

We have a king and a queen on the floor pushed together. I sleep on the king with my NB, and DH sleeps on the queen beside me with DS. When DD is old enough, we will turn the king into a sibling bef and DH and I can sleep together on the queen. In between now and then, I could see arrangements changing somehow, just not quite sure how yet. We go with the flow DD is 12 days old and sleeps ALL NIGHT! I cant even wake her to nurse. DS didnt sleep till he was a year, so its a welcome change!!!!

Placenta eating EC mom to my sweet DS Skyy 08/24/08 and Lotus Birth HBAC DD Aspen 01/13/2010 Healed by her birth
#11 of 11 Old 01-26-2010, 10:34 PM

My DD1 was about the same age as yours when DD2 came along. We bought a king sized bed and it worked out great!! DD1 was in the middle and I had DD2 on the other side of me. We slept this way until DD1 turned five (she's about to turn 6 now). Now she sleeps in a toddler bed in our room. When she outgrows the toddler bed, I'm not sure what we'll do!

Kinda crunchy mama to my 3 DD's (ages 7, 4, and 6 weeks)

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page