Sleep schedule interfering w/work schedule, and concerned about too much swaddling - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 6 Old 02-11-2010, 03:42 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
My 2 1/2 month old son has gotten into a schedule where he pretty much sleeps only at night (not the worst thing...I know). He may sleep for an hour or two during the day, but that's it. I take my son to work with me, but it is REALLY difficult to get anything done because he is always awake and wants to be held.

The only real way I know of to get him to sleep is to swaddle him really tight and put the white noise on right next to his head. This is what we do at night. But I read that swaddling too much is bad for babies and can result in problems with their hips. Also I feel like if he is swaddled all night, that he probably wants to stretch out a little during the day and I shouldn't be trying to force him to sleep.

So that's the predicament. I want my son to be happy and free to be on his own schedule, but it seems weird that he never sleeps during the day, and my patience with working at my computer with a fussy baby on my lap is wearing thin.

Any advice?

Mother to sweet baby Milo born 11/25/09
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 6 Old 02-11-2010, 07:41 AM

What about putting him in a back carry in a mei tai at work for quiet time? Walk him down on your back then bounce a bit on a ball as you type?

That being said - more napping in the day will probably lead to more night wakings which are much harder to deal with. Are you sure you want him to get used to long daytime naps?

He's "awake" in the day talking/playing because he wants interaction, can you trade off with DH for interactive time durring the day so one of you can work/type and one can engage with this little one?

Your User Agreement here at MDC, read it and make it your friend and read the FAQ to answer all the questions of the (MDC) world.
#3 of 6 Old 02-11-2010, 01:21 PM

I second trying a carrier if you don't already use one. My 12 week old will take a 3-4 hour nap in my wrap, and I have a computer cabinet mounted on the wall (from IKEA) so I can get work done standing up when she's in the wrap. She's also more likely to let me put her on the ground, in a bouncy seat or in a little portable swing if she's been held next to my body during her naps.
#4 of 6 Old 02-11-2010, 02:52 PM

I think we have the same baby! My DD (same age as yours) rarely sleeps during the day unless I am wearing her in a sling or wrap and moving around. I had the same concern about swaddling affecting her hips, but was recently shown how to swaddle with the legs and hips free and it has made a big difference. She seems much more comfy in it. Here is a youtube video of how to do it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EOnsKlluHIg

I don't love it that she needs the swaddle to sleep, but long sleep is worth it!

I second the pp's suggestion to wear him while at work.

Good luck,
Whitney

Mama to a sweet little redheaded girl, born 11/09; and my HBAC baby, little brother, born 7/12.

#5 of 6 Old 02-15-2010, 02:45 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the suggestions! The trouble is he's not into being in a wrap or carrier unless we are walking and outside. And I have to be inside at my computer. If I try to put him in when we're inside, he will fuss and wriggle until I take him out (even if on a ball).

My husband has to work full time and is not allowed to have the baby at work, or to work from home, or to change his hours, so that isn't really an option. I have to work half time to make ends meet. But my half time ends up being more like full time because I am only clocking a few hours for every whole day I'm in the office, due to my son's need for attention and not napping.

I liked the double swaddle video and will give that a shot. Do you all think it's okay to swaddle him all night and then put him down for just a couple naps during the day (also swaddled?). Like a two hour in the morning and a two hour in the afternoon? Or is that too much for a baby who sleeps all night?

Thanks!

Mother to sweet baby Milo born 11/25/09
#6 of 6 Old 02-15-2010, 03:36 PM

I think for 2.5 mo that is not too much sleep. Plus, every babe is different. Some need a lot of sleep and some not so much. But at 2.5 mo. he probably needs SOME naps, he just isn't good at getting to sleep on his own.

At 2.5 months I think my son was still taking a short nap in the morning and a 3 hour nap in the afternoon--and then sleeping 11ish hours at night (with wakings).

I asked my ped about swaddling for naps and at night and she said it was okay. (Some babes in other countries are swaddled 24/7 for the first few months!) Plus I found that I didn't need to swaddle his legs for it to be effective--just the arms.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page