baby/toddler hammock? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 03-16-2010, 07:40 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
We are planning on co-sleeping, but I'm thinking it would be nice to have a moveable hammock for when the babe is napping and I don't want to lay down with it or whatever.

I was thinking of ordering this crochet pattern, but would that really be safe? And then we'd have to build a stand for it, and I don't know how to do that.

This is the only one I keep seeing when searching for a bigger hammock, says it goes up to 36mo.

Are there better options than this that I'm just not finding on my internet search?

Anyways, does anybody have experience or pointers they could share with me? Just seems like it'd be nice for taking outside or moving to the living room as an alternative to the "swing" which I'm going to try and avoid (my dp was an over-swinged baby, and he still rocks his head back and forth to sleep sometimes I dunno, I just have my suspicions that it messes w/ serotonin and stuff). But a little rocking or swinging is okay and can be very soothing!

So. Idea, feedback, BTDT? Talk to me, please!

TIA!

Happy and in love with my family!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-16-2010, 09:39 PM

I have this one. They rent it out by the month, and I REALLY wish I'd tried a hammock before buying one--my DD sleeps so much better in our bed that I'm pretty mad at myself for buying the hammock.
Old 03-17-2010, 08:14 PM

My son (3 mos, preemie) sleeps great at night with us, but will also go down for naps in our bed or in a bassinet in our living room. Sometimes it takes time to lay him down, but I lay him down and kind of squeeze him, after a couple of minutes, I loosen up, than leave my hands on him for another minute until I know he is really down.
Maybe wait to see if he will sleep well, before trying out the hammock.
Old 03-18-2010, 12:56 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by rzberrymom View Post
I have this one. They rent it out by the month, and I REALLY wish I'd tried a hammock before buying one--my DD sleeps so much better in our bed that I'm pretty mad at myself for buying the hammock.
So you don't like it?

I'm just thinking it'd be nice for naps. We have a rocking bassinet that will be on loan, but I've kinda got my head stuck on a hammock!

Old 03-18-2010, 04:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by craft_media_hero View Post
So you don't like it?

I'm just thinking it'd be nice for naps. We have a rocking bassinet that will be on loan, but I've kinda got my head stuck on a hammock!
My DD hasn't liked it that much. She sleeps better near a body, so we've just followed her lead there. She also seems to not like that you can't see out of it--she'll happily fall asleep for a nap in a bouncy seat or a swing, but the hammock keeps her really cocooned and she can't see us as she's drifting off to sleep. She also sleeps REALLY well swaddled in a miracle blanket, but I don't feel right having her swaddled *and* in the hammock--she sleeps so deeply while swaddled that the fabric up the sides and next to her face made me nervous.

I'm holding on to it though just in case she'll take to it as she gets older. I'm thinking since she likes the feel of swaddling so much, she may like the feel of the hammock when she outgrows swaddling.

That Kanoe hammock can be used when they're much older--you lower it to just off the ground once they're mobile. (it is expensive though)
Old 03-18-2010, 04:20 PM

By the way, that crocheted one is listed as a photo prop--I don't think I'd feel great about using it regularly for sleep. I've seen some online that you can build yourself though--I'll try to see if I can find them.

ETA: http://www.mothering.com/discussions...d.php?t=644199
Old 03-20-2010, 02:18 AM - Thread Starter

Hey, thanks for taking the time to reply.

I will check out that Kanoe site more in depth---the fact that it can be used when their older makes it more appealing to me; the one thing I was thinking about for a tot is how can they get out of it safely by themselves? So if the Kanoe one was closer to the ground, I'd probably prefer it, yk?

User Tag List