Nightweaning a la Jay Gordon? Any Experience? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 4 Old 03-19-2010, 03:25 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
We are about to nightwean our 26-month-old after 26 months of sleep deprivation that has been nearly unbearable at times. My daughter is the brightest, funniest little being, and I adore and admire her more than life itself, but it is time now for us to start getting some solid sleep. She is your typical high needs, bed-sharing, wants to nurse all night, wakes every 1-2 hours child that I have read so much about on here. I got us to this point, with great willpower and love, without resorting to CIO or sending her off in a reed basket down the river, and I'm proud of all of us for that. But I NEED some sleep.

I believe she is ready to stop nursing at night. We talk about it, and she's a very verbal child, and she understands that this time is coming. I want to do this in a gentle, yet firm way, and I don't particularly want it to go on for months, because I'll never be able to stick to a program that long. I'm planning to mix a bit of what I remember from NCSS with Jay Gordon's Nightweaning technique, and I'm wondering if anyone has used Dr. Gordon's method with success. I have friends with nightweaning horror stories, and those who were surprised at how smooth it was.

Any advice?

ETA: I'm not looking for 12 straight hours of sleep here. But a stretch of five hours would change my life, and I think it would change hers too.

Catherine - Born at home 01/08/08
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 4 Old 03-19-2010, 08:20 PM

If you do a search for 'Gordon nightweaning' in this forum, you'll find lots of threads.
#3 of 4 Old 03-19-2010, 10:47 PM - Thread Starter

Oh, thank you. I didn't realize searching was no longer a paid members only feature. Thanks.

Catherine - Born at home 01/08/08
#4 of 4 Old 03-20-2010, 09:16 AM

We did it when DD was a year or so. Worked great! Since I recommended it to my sister and two friends who is also worked well for, for older toddlers.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page