thinking about moving 9m to a crib - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 7 Old 03-25-2010, 11:43 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Our 9m old sleeps pretty well. He sleeps from 10:30pm to 9:30am waking up 2-3 times during the night for milky snacks.

But, DH and I don't sleep well next to him anymore because he does this sleep, crawl, sleep, crawl. Usually if he's hungry, his sleep, crawl routine will hit me pretty quick. But, sometimes he heads south on the bed and can fall off without us hearing him.

If it were just that he could fall off, we'd lower the bed. But, he'll do this sleep crawl routine a couple times a night and it's enough to wake us up and make us worry about him. Baby is still basically asleep, but we are basically awake.

He also falls asleep eating pretty quickly, so I wonder if he weren't next to me, he may not even wake enough to ask for food if he were in a crib. He eats well during the day and the night meals are so small.

So, I'm considering moving him to a crib. But, I can't quite do it. I see that it may be better for all of us, but I'm afraid I would miss him too much and not be able to sleep. We can't fit the crib in our room and don't have money to spend on a pack an play for the transition time or else I would keep him in our room first and I think that would work. Maybe I'll just have to come up with the money for a pack n play.

I love having him next to us and peeking at him in the night and knowing that he is safe and comfy. So, I'm struggling with this.
#2 of 7 Old 03-25-2010, 12:10 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
DS is in a crib for part of the night for this exact reason--he moves and rolls and stretches and stays asleep through it, but I'm wide awake. Maybe you could have him in the crib for the first part of the night and then bring him to bed with you so you'd get some uninterrupted sleep? Or I know you said you don't have room for the crib in your room, but maybe just the crib mattress on the floor? That way, he'd still be close to you, plus it would be okay if he crawled off. Plus, if you could lower your bed too, it might just give you guys a little bit more room to spread out, but still let you be in the same sleep space.

Loving life with DH DS1 (5/7/09) and DS2 (7/23/11)
#3 of 7 Old 03-29-2010, 12:28 PM - Thread Starter

Just want to whine. It's been so hard moving him to the crib. We've done 3 nights so far and I let DH sleep with him because I thought DS would sleep and DH can put him back to sleep easier than I can if DS wakes up for more than just food.

Well, DS's woken up a bunch and I am miserably tired. I want to give up on this crib thing, but I also want a better nights sleep. I cannot sleep with anyone laying on me, I move too much. But, that is my LO favorite position in the bed is he cute little head next laying on my belly.

I'm going to sleep next to his crib tonight and hope that maybe DH was just waking him up with his super loud snoring and maybe tonight will be better.

Or, maybe it won't. That's why I'm on here whinning now because I'm tired and majority of my friends have never co-sleep and they do not understand why I miss DS so much in the night and he misses me.
#4 of 7 Old 03-29-2010, 12:54 PM

Just a thought maybe you can find a Mini crib or pack and play or something like that cheap on Craigslist or that recycling website (can't think of the name of it right now). That's where I find all my stuff and many times people just want to give them away for free - I know that's what I'll be doing when we're done with our stuff.
#5 of 7 Old 03-29-2010, 04:04 PM

Freecycle - it's a yahoo group. Baby things are listed on there all the time. Good luck!
#6 of 7 Old 03-30-2010, 10:51 PM

Could you put a mattress on the floor and sleep next to him or slide off when necessary? That way you don't have to worry about him falling off.
#7 of 7 Old 03-30-2010, 10:58 PM

Honestly, from what you've described I'd probably just bring him back in your bed, lower the bed so you don't have to worry so much, and ride out this night-crawling phase (it is such a common phase for this age and will end!). Also (and this might not work for you and your dh but I will throw it out there) what worked for me and my dh when sleep got difficult was to have dh sleep in the guest bedroom, leaving ds and me in the queen-sized bed. Having the extra space really helped all of us get more sleep.

Kate, mom to 7 year old Djuna and 4 yr old Alden. Missing our good friend Hal the cat who died June 2, 2010

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page