embarrassing - falling off bed - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 16 Old 04-04-2010, 03:25 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I've discovered that the few times my little one has fallen off our king size bed...it's not as bad as I thought it would be. I mean, it's terrible. Yesterday I left the bed for a second to grab a toy off a nearby piece of furniture, and he fell flat on his back to the floor. There was a lot of crying from both of us for a little bit, but then he was OK and playing again. Whew, plastic flexible baby.

That said, I am still searching for things to help our bed! Unfortunately we don't have a headboard or footboard. I haven't found any rails that would work on a king size bed. The only thing that would work is for the bed to be completely surrounded (head of the bed is against the wall).

Ideas? Any WAHM make a product yet? I'd rather not buy a crib or wrestle with the crib mattress issue. We have a chemical, flame retardant free latex king size bed.
#2 of 16 Old 04-04-2010, 03:52 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
We just put our mattresses on the floor. Less falling distance.

Loads of blessings, and learning on the job.
run.gif 

#3 of 16 Old 04-04-2010, 04:00 PM

I second bed on the floor. My son has fallen a few times, but never when he was little, little and living in the place without carpet. Here, the carpet is very soft so the few times he did fall off, it wasn't an issue, he was more in shock, no tears . Now with two in bed, my bed is on the floor (with box spring) and in a corner, then my hubby's twin is right next to us, so there is no chance of falling. Well unless my husband falls out of bed, but I don't think that has ever happened!

Julie

Julie ~ homesteading, Traditional Catholic, wife to Chip, mom to Angelbaby(4-06), DS (3-07), and DD (11-09).
#4 of 16 Old 04-04-2010, 05:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nudnik View Post
We just put our mattresses on the floor. Less falling distance.
Ended up doing this after our baby fell off twice in two weeks.

Kelly (28), in love with husband Jason (38) and our awesome babies:  Emma 4/09, and Ozzy 8/10

#5 of 16 Old 04-04-2010, 05:40 PM

Putting the mattress on the floor is great.

We have one of these on our very low king-sized bed (also a latex mattress, like yours):

http://www.snugtuckpillow.com/

Works with any mattress, fully customizable and non-toxic.

Have you seen the updated user agreement yet?
#6 of 16 Old 04-04-2010, 06:22 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Another cosleeping family with a mattress on the floor.

I've seen these bumpers talked about around here before: http://www.gobedbug.com/.

Mama to Blake, 5, and Grant, 3
ribbonpb.gif
#7 of 16 Old 04-04-2010, 07:42 PM

Another vote for putting the mattress on the floor.

Happy mama to DD reading.gif  DS  drum.gif and DD coolshine.gif and married to an awesome DH jammin.gif.  homeschool.gif
#8 of 16 Old 04-04-2010, 08:10 PM

Our mattress is on the floor, but we also put up a bed rail on the side I sleep on. My husband's on one side, and my son and I switch between the middle and the other side depending on what side he has nursed on.
#9 of 16 Old 04-04-2010, 09:56 PM - Thread Starter

On the floor, with a latex mattress? I would love to, but the man with the bed shop said it needs to be off the floor for air circulation. This is a little more work - we'd have to get a different bed frame. Right now it's on a low box provided by the bed shop, on a metal frame. Not too high, but not low enough. At least the carpet cushions the fall.
#10 of 16 Old 04-04-2010, 10:00 PM - Thread Starter

Thank you To-fu and allisonrose for the pillow ideas.
#11 of 16 Old 04-05-2010, 09:46 AM

Those pillows would never work for us... because she's not rolling off the bed, she's deliberately CRAWLING off the bed, rotfl.

Kelly (28), in love with husband Jason (38) and our awesome babies:  Emma 4/09, and Ozzy 8/10

#12 of 16 Old 04-05-2010, 01:37 PM

We put our bed on the floor, but we also use a pillow rail. I didn't buy a new one though; I just used the body pillow I had from pregnancy and tucked it under the fitted sheet. It works great!

Lovestruck luxlove.gif mama to Girlie #1 energy.gifand Girlie #2 on the way!
#13 of 16 Old 04-05-2010, 07:55 PM

We put ours on the floor and it has a low profile boxspring. I also have an Extra Tall, Extra Long bed rail. This is working great!
#14 of 16 Old 04-05-2010, 09:48 PM

We have our mattress on the floor, but it's ridiculously thick (18"), so it's still a short distance for a baby to fall. You know, hypothetically. :P Actually, DS has fallen off several times (4 or 5?). He squirms around in his sleep sometimes and has rolled or crawled off a few times since he started crawling. At least there's carpet on the floor! Sometimes we put our pillows on the floor for extra padding just in case. :
#15 of 16 Old 04-06-2010, 11:25 PM

Another mattress on the floor (not something I ever thought I would say!) While it is horrible when it happens (even with carpet and even on the floor) it is (looking back now) a relatively short period of time that it is a real issue - for us anyway. Depending on how old your baby is you can put a pool noodle (or several) under the sheet to prevent rolling and falling. It doesn't prevent crawlers or playing babies from taking a nose dive but by that age you can teach them to slide off backwards. And a pool noodle could still prevent an older baby rolling in their sleep.
#16 of 16 Old 04-07-2010, 12:12 AM

We've been on the floor for so long, I don't even remember what our bed frame looks like.

We also have put TG's bed next to ours and she knows and loves her own special place. She still loves to sleep in our bed but she naturally moves herself to her own bed during the night.

signcirc1.giffly-by-nursing2.giffamilybed2.gifslingboy.gif

Proud mom of an inquisitive, breastfeeding, babywearing, cosleeping 9 month old boy and a talkative curious 4 year old girl.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page