Family bedroom? What is the max age for kids? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 8 Old 04-13-2010, 11:51 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I've co-slept with my kids since they were born. When DD#2 came along, we slept with the four of us in a king bed for a while. But when it got too crowded, DD#1 began sleeping in a toddler bed in our room. She's nearly six and is still sleeping in the toddler bed in our room. She fits just fine for now. However, DD#2 is getting bigger (she just turned 3) and DH says he cannot sleep very well with her in the bed (plus, we switched our king bed for a queen since the king was hurting my back so it is more crowded). I'm thinking of getting a full bed and putting it beside our queen bed and letting both girls sleep in that. The girls will be 6 and 3. I like the idea of keeping our family bedroom. The girls and I all sleep better knowing that we are all in a room together. Are they too old to keep a family bedroom?

Kinda crunchy mama to my 3 DD's (ages 7, 4, and 6 weeks)

#2 of 8 Old 04-13-2010, 03:17 PM

I think they will know when they are too old....

Im a broc1.giflovinghippie.giffly-by-nursing2.gifcd.gif  novaxnocirc.gif
#3 of 8 Old 04-13-2010, 03:18 PM

When they ask to leave - that is when it's time to do something different. I think your idea of a Queen and a Full is great - family bedroom rah rah rah!

Your User Agreement here at MDC, read it and make it your friend and read the FAQ to answer all the questions of the (MDC) world.
#4 of 8 Old 04-13-2010, 03:39 PM

Ours are nearly five and three and we all share a king. We plan to move into a new 3br house in the next few months and hope that they will want to move into thier own rooms at some point after we settle in. They may also choose to share a room if they like. But to answer your question, if everybody is still happy, then they are not too old.

Diane, SAHM to DD (June 05) and DS (April 07).
::::
#5 of 8 Old 04-13-2010, 04:03 PM

I agree that they will let you know when they are not wanting to take part in the family bed. I don't think there is a age that it "harms" them to be sharing the family bed. That is my opinion. We shared a room with my parents till we were around 11. Not always in the bed as there were 6 kids so the first couple to get to the bed first got a spot the rest of us took the floor lol.

~Katie~ married to J, mom to DD- A 13 yrs ,DS- L 7yrs , and my little nursling DD2- R 5yrs.

crochetsmilie.gif

#6 of 8 Old 04-13-2010, 04:16 PM

My oldest was 7 when he announced that he wanted to sleep in his own room. He started out by trying it a few nights, then sleeping with us again for a few nights. Now at 8, he sleeps there every night, but still likes to fall asleep in the family bed sometimes always making sure my husband or I will move him when we come to bed.

My second is 5 now and sometimes likes to fall asleep in her own room (I think she's copying her brother) but always ends up back in our room at some point in the night.

I love the idea of a queen and a full. We have a queen and a twin, but we really could use that extra space (we also have a 2 yr-old).

DS1: 2/02 ROTFLMAO.gif DD: 9/04 blahblah.gif DS2: 9/07jog.gif and EDD: 11/13 belly.gif

#7 of 8 Old 04-13-2010, 09:04 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the replies!! I went out and bought a full bed today! I suspect that DD5 (nearly 6) will not be asking to "move out" anytime soon. She's very much a mommy's girl with some anxiety issues as well. I love falling asleep knowing that we are all safe and secure in the same room together.

Kinda crunchy mama to my 3 DD's (ages 7, 4, and 6 weeks)

#8 of 8 Old 04-14-2010, 08:14 AM

My DS1 (7 years) and DS2 (4 years) still sleep with me and DH. We have two beds next to each other. The total width of our sleeping area is about 250cm (just over 8'). It generally still works well for us. Occasionally I sleep with DS2 in a different room. This is usually if DS1 and DS2 are too wound up to go to sleep in the same room.

DS1 has had a few comments from school friends in the last year. I now make sure I keep a bed made up in 'his' room, so it looks like he sleeps there.

Mama to DS1 and DS2

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page