Anti-CIO going mainstream?! - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 5 Old 04-24-2010, 08:55 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
BBC News is reporting that letting a baby CIO harms babies' brains. YAY!

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/e...on/8636950.stm

babyboy.gif: 01/10/2009 and 09/29/2011

#2 of 5 Old 04-25-2010, 12:19 PM

I was really glad to see this, but I don't think it will make much difference, sadly. Some parents really buy into the idea that your LO will never learn to sleep if you don't do some type of sleep training. Now if Ferber or Weissbluth came out and said this then maybe some people would take it more seriously.
#3 of 5 Old 04-25-2010, 02:57 PM

I thought Ferber did say that CIO isn't good after all.. I'm pretty sure my doula told me that.. maybe she was mistaken!

Carolyn, married to M, momma to K (09/'09) and C (04/'12).
#4 of 5 Old 04-25-2010, 08:35 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carolyn_mtl View Post
I thought Ferber did say that CIO isn't good after all.. I'm pretty sure my doula told me that.. maybe she was mistaken!
He modified what he had originally written. He used to say you should let a baby cry for limitless amounts of time and then retracted that to say no longer than 15 minutes at a time.

babyboy.gif: 01/10/2009 and 09/29/2011

#5 of 5 Old 04-25-2010, 11:42 PM

Yeah, I know a few parents that have seen him for consultations and they have all said he is completely respectful of them and never tells them to do anything they are uncomfortable with. So maybe he's a little more gentle now, but until he comes out and says explicitly not to do CIO, I think parents are still going to do it. Don't get me wrong, I'm glad he seems to have softened his approach, but I also think he is one of the reasons CIO is so pervasive.

ETA: I don't mean to minimize the importance of this latest book speaking out against CIO. I think every "professional" that speaks out against it can only help. I just think we have a long way to go before we see around the clock responsiveness become the norm.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page