One-year-old and fighting sleep...help! - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 1 Old 06-04-2010, 12:50 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
DS has always been pretty easy to get to sleep. For the past 4-5 months, he has gone to sleep by being patted and listening to music, either in our bed or in his crib. Well, we were traveling last weekend and there was no crib for him and it was a tiny bed, so DS and I slept on the floor because I didn't trust him not to roll off that bed.

All weekend, he fought sleep like crazy because we were on the floor and he just wanted to play, and then he got a cold, and now, he just refuses. to. sleep. Last night, he finally (after 2.5 hours of trying various things) fell asleep at midnight...and then woke up at 2, 3, 4:30, and was up for the day at 6. (A week ago, he was STTN and had been for about 2 months.) And I've just spent the past hour trying to get him down for a nap because he was clearly exhausted, but he spent most of that time wanting to nurse, refusing to nurse, wanting to be put down, wanting to be picked back up, screaming, rolling around on the crib, the floor, etc. Towards the end, he was crying so hard, he was shaking.

I was with him the whole time, trying to nurse him, trying to rock him, or pat him, or wear him, or hold him, or sing or read to him and he just would not have it. Eventually, he passed out from exhaustion as I sat on the exercise ball with him. I *know* he's tired because he's rubbing his eyes, yawning, being fussy, doesn't want to play, etc, but I have no idea what to do! I do not want him to have to scream himself to sleep, but for the past 5 days, that's exactly what he's been doing. He's in our arms, and we're trying everything we can think of, but still...screaming is screaming, right? I am so, so opposed to CIO and this just feels too much like CIO. Is there something I'm missing? Something else I can try? I'm open to anything at this point--I just want my happy, rested baby back!

joy.gifLoving life with   geek.gifDH   biggrinbounce.gifDS1 (5/7/09) and   babyboy.gifDS2 (7/23/11)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page