Co-Sleeping help please. :) - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 4 Old 06-27-2010, 10:51 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
HI Mama's.

My DD perfers to co-sleep with DH and I so we pretty much let her do it when she wants to. A typical night has her start out in bed with us, then transferred to her crib (foot of our bed) for a couple hours until she wakes up and I put her back into our bed until morning.

The reason I transfer her at all is because we are sleeping in a queen sized bed and there just simply isn't enough room for me to sleep comfortable. I always give DH more room than me and I put DD near me (she wiggles to me anyways) and I lay on my side, my arm up outstretched above her head (also functions as my pillow) and my side is on the EDGE of the bed. It's precarious at best at worst I wake up in horrible pain from not being able to even move a twitch all night.

So what I was thinking about doing was purchasing a twin bed and putting that along side our queen. I know that will make for an odd bed size and I"ll have to buy separate sheets, but will that work? I think the thing I'm most worried about is finding a frame that will be even/level with our current bed height. I wish we could afford a King bed right now but we just bought this set last year lol (before I knew I was preggo!) so we are kinda financially committed to this queen atm.

Last week we were in Cancun on vacation and we had a giant king sized bed and it was sheer BLISS sleeping it in with DD. I had so much room. It was lovely.

Treehuggin Mom of a beautiful little girl and Wife to a superhero husband.
#2 of 4 Old 06-27-2010, 11:00 PM

I think it could definitely work...we have a queen and after we welcomed lo#2 to the fam we sidecarred our crib that had been collecting dust...does one side of your crib detach? maybe you don't even need to buy another bed? many places also sell risers for beds, so you could try experimenting with them to get a fairly even height across the two...I used to roll a thin blanket/sheet and place it in the crack b/w the beds as an extra evener too...
good luck!

artist mama to dd (5/06) and ds (1/09):, ::
#3 of 4 Old 06-27-2010, 11:07 PM

Hi - Congrats on cosleeping - it is the best.

Just wanted to let you know I have been there! DH and I cosleep with our son (10mos) in a Queen bed. You didn't mention how old your baby is, but I just wanted say that I too was frozen at the edge of the bed, arm asleep, creaky neck, worrying if DH had enough room, hoping I wouldn't roll on baby, waking to adjust covers away from baby, etc for a while when we first started cosleeping.

However, as all 3 of us got more comfortable cosleeping, we uh... got more comfortable!

At this point we all get a great nights sleep squished close and I luxuriate on my back, side, you name it, as do DH and DS. But... I had DS in a basinette pressed against my side of the bed for the first 5 mos, so he was a bigger baby when he officially joined our bed. Perhaps that is why I was more comfortable.

Anyway, I'm sure you'll get some great responses from mamas who have rigged a similar bed situation. It sounds like it'd work to me.

Best of luck and sweet dreams!
#4 of 4 Old 06-27-2010, 11:10 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mommy amber View Post
I think it could definitely work...we have a queen and after we welcomed lo#2 to the fam we sidecarred our crib that had been collecting dust...does one side of your crib detach? maybe you don't even need to buy another bed? many places also sell risers for beds, so you could try experimenting with them to get a fairly even height across the two...I used to roll a thin blanket/sheet and place it in the crack b/w the beds as an extra evener too...
good luck!
Thanks! I LOVE The blanket/sheet idea to try an even it out. Now I just need to get DH on board with buying a twin. Those are still expensive. Grrr

Quote:
Originally Posted by NEastMomma View Post
Hi - Congrats on cosleeping - it is the best.

Just wanted to let you know I have been there! DH and I cosleep with our son (10mos) in a Queen bed. You didn't mention how old your baby is, but I just wanted say that I too was frozen at the edge of the bed, arm asleep, creaky neck, worrying if DH had enough room, hoping I wouldn't roll on baby, waking to adjust covers away from baby, etc for a while when we first started cosleeping.

However, as all 3 of us got more comfortable cosleeping, we uh... got more comfortable!

At this point we all get a great nights sleep squished close and I luxuriate on my back, side, you name it, as do DH and DS. But... I had DS in a basinette pressed against my side of the bed for the first 5 mos, so he was a bigger baby when he officially joined our bed. Perhaps that is why I was more comfortable.

Anyway, I'm sure you'll get some great responses from mamas who have rigged a similar bed situation. It sounds like it'd work to me.

Best of luck and sweet dreams!
How inspirational !

DD is 5.5 months. She's my little chub girl. She's already 18lbs!
And I totally understand what you mean about the "keeping covers away etc." I wake up every hour or so and do the same. Even though we only sleep with a thin (bamboo) sheet. I doubt it could suffocate her at this point, she's very strong at pushing things out of her face but I still take precautions. LOL I am a mommie after all!

Treehuggin Mom of a beautiful little girl and Wife to a superhero husband.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page