Why do I need more sleep than my 1yo? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 07-23-2010, 05:01 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Not literally, but close! He's recently been sleeping 9 hours at night. He doesn't wake up a lot (at least not compared to how much my older ds woke!), but it's enough to really disrupt my sleep and leave me tired in the morning.
He usually has 2 naps, usually between 1-2 hours each. That's anywhere from 11 to 13 hours of sleep- is that enough? He doesn't seem like he gets enough sleep- he gets tired/fussy easy, and won't fall asleep for hjours after we can tell he's definitely tired. My older ds slept much less than typical, but you could tell that he slept enough for him, kwim?

Recently, he's not been going to bed until 11 or midnight and getting up at 8-9. He's been having a late nap, and I hate to keep him up when he wants to sleep. Yesterday, he had only one nap, and went to bed at 9:30. I was *really* hoping that he'd sleep until his normal time, but he was up at 6:30!

When ds1 was in school, the "bedtime routine" seemed to help (mostly just brushing teeth and saying goodnight to ds1). We got out of the habit since school ended, but started up again a few nights ago. So far, it hasn't helped any.

Anyway, just putting this out there in case anyone has advice or sympathy!

Becky, partner to Teague, SAHM to Keagan (7yo), Jonah (2yo)

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-27-2010, 06:46 PM

You have my sympathy. Remember, it is just a stage. Things won't always be this way, you won't always be so sleepy!

happy family!joy.gif we winner.jpgfemalesling.GIFnocirc.gif

Old 07-27-2010, 07:34 PM

You totally have my sympathy as well! I remember being sooo tired as well, that it was just all I could do to simply function during the day. However, I will give some advise, because my baby sleeping problems got infinitely better when I learned that babies simply need to go to bed earlier. It does sound like the total amount of sleep is correct for your 1 yr old, but not enough during the night. The late nights may be making him more tired. I would try putting your one year old down before 8 p.m. to start! You may find that he will still wake up at the same time (6:30 a.m.) just simply more rested, and therefore not crabby and irritable. Most babies are hard wired to wake up earlier than adults, so it may be unreasonalbe to get them to sleep past 7 a.m. It sounds like he is a great napper, so to me, you have only one task....get him to bed earlier for a week or so and see if you end up with a happier child I know I did. For example, when my baby was 1 yr, she was going to bed at 6:30 p.m. and waking up at 5:30 a.m. Nothing I did changed that wake time, so I simply learned over time, her best bedtime hour for her to remain happy during the day. (she also had two 1-1 1/2 hr naps.)

Good luck!
Old 07-27-2010, 10:30 PM

My DS has always needed "less" sleep than "average." Always been a frequent waker too. I'm right there with you.

Catie belly.gif- Happy wife to Aaron stillheart.gif(01.05), mama to Liambikenew.gif(08.08), and Ian jammin.gif (11.10)! homebirth.jpgnocirc.giffamilybed1.gif and joy.gif due Feb 2013 with blessing #3!

Old 07-27-2010, 11:10 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I would try to get him down to one nap to help with the night time sleeping. See if that helps.

If you can do something about the night waking, that would definitely help your sleep as well. I don't have any great tips for that--I didn't have any success about night wakings until we decided to move our 1 yr old dd out of our bed and my dh took over nights for a few weeks. Dd got used to sleeping without me and eventually started waking up less. Months later, she still wakes up once a night but it is WAY better than before and I sometimes feel rested in the mornings!
Old 07-27-2010, 11:20 PM - Thread Starter

I do think that he does better with an earlier bedtime. We "try" to get him to go to sleep earlier, but he just wakes up like it was a REALLY energizing nap. lol. I'm wondering if it might help to cut him down to one nap, like a pp suggested. It's really hard to do though- because when he's tired, *I* am ready for him to have a nap! We're flying across the country (3 hour time difference) to visit my family for two weeks, so hopefully that has a *positive* impact on his bedtime, and not negative! It used to have a positive impact on ds1's sleep, so I'm hopeful.

It's funny, because since I posted this, his night waking has really improved. He's going at least 2-3 hours, sometimes 4, between wakings, nursing for a moment, and going back to a deep sleep.
I'm fairly convinced that his night waking has something to do with food sensitivities. It seems like everything that I thought could be symptoms have gradually been disappearing over the last bunch of weeks. I don't know WHAT he could be sensitive to, but we had him tested for intolerances and should get the results this week

Becky, partner to Teague, SAHM to Keagan (7yo), Jonah (2yo)

User Tag List