Help! Toddler fighting sleep! - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 4 Old 08-08-2010, 12:53 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
My 13 month old, Evie, has decided that she hates sleep, and up until now sleep has been mostly wonderful. We cosleep and I nurse her down for every sleep, and now we're on the third night of her fighting it, hard. If she's tired at all and I bring her to bed, she screams. If I offer the boob, she screams and pushes it away. The mere suggestion of nursing and sleep tonight caused her to throw a fit.

Like I said, we cosleep, and we've never ever done CIO. She nurses on demand, we have a bedtime routine and bedtime is regular but based on her cues. I've tried starting earlier, starting later, crying, taking a break from bedtime, TV and snuggles to soothe her, and it's just such a hassle. Tonight was the worst. She started rubbing her eyes at 8:15. I tried nursing, cue waterworks and pushing the boob away. We take her downstairs and watch a Sherlock Holmes, during which she screams, frustrated at everything. I occasionally get her latched on, and then she realizes she's nursing and nursing=sleep and sleep=bad and cue more screaming. So, 30 minutes of this I take her upstairs and let her scream as I hold her (she's not fighting being held at all) until she finally decides that nursing and sleep is better then screaming. She's down by 9:40, which feels like a triumph.

She's not teething, has probably not had any nightmares, her bedtime routine is very gentle, no family stress, I'm not pregnant (change in taste of milk), have no supply problems, no new foods, nothing. I cannot imagine what's causing this.

Help?

Ashley, Pagan treehugger.gif mama to E (6/09) and my beautiful hbac.gif baby T (4/3/12)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 4 Old 08-09-2010, 10:23 PM

Do you have a carrier you can wear her in and nurse at the same time? That's how I have to get my ds to sleep. I seriously don't love it, but even if he's super tired he'll only nurse (side lying, in our family bed) for a few mins before he's down on out the door bidding me "night night mama". So I pop him in the buckle tai, grab the iPod and walk around the room. He fights me about getting in the carrier but soon gives that up and starts nursing and not too long after that he's asleep enough to lie down with him.

Good luck. Sleep stuff is so hard!

~helen~ mama to 5 yo twins jonas and micah and my 2 yo baby boy eli
#3 of 4 Old 08-10-2010, 05:54 PM

What happens if you get in bed and just lay with her? Will she get out of bed or just sit there and scream?

What happens if you hold her close to you during the screaming (yes, hold her down)? DD needs pressure on her body to relax...have you tried that?

Just brainstorming....

#4 of 4 Old 08-10-2010, 06:36 PM

NAK here...
Maybe she's not tired. Or experimenting a new found control. DS went through this too. More sunlight and exercise during the am helped! TV stimulates.

Baby on the hip, boob in the mouth, seat to the rear, sleeping next to mama! Loving every day as a SAHM to my only, B.W.A.H born 4.1.08

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page