5 and a 1/2 month old and sleep position - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 09-03-2010, 06:02 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Hi,
first time mom of a 5 and a 1/2 month old.

I am looking for suggestions on how to deal with this: For the past few weeks ds has been rolling over onto his belly much of the time when he is put on his back.
For sleep this is something I have to figure out what to do about! He sleeps in a sidecarred crib attached to our bed, next to me.
So we started swaddling him again a couple weeks ago and that stopped him from rolling over-
The problem with him rolling over is that then he gets kind of stuck on his belly and can't sleep on his stomach.

Unswaddled, he used to sleep on his back. Recently, unswaddled (if I unswaddle him after he has fallen asleep) he likes to be sprawled on his side with his arms up.
And it used to be that swaddled he sleeps on his back.

At any rate- just today when I was putting him for a nap in his bed, he turned over on to his belly in his swaddle. So then he got stuck on his belly.
(I was with him so I just turned him back)

He also sleeps okay in the swing for some daytime naps.

I am looking for ideas about how to handle his sleep poisition when he is in bed. Up until last night the swaddle was working okay. But now it may not!

I thought of looking into sleep positioners but I don't know much about them. There were a bunch at target online and they all seem to be made of foam. I don't know how safe those things are.
But I am open to considering the positioners, depending on what suggestions I get
Any ideas?
Thanks in advance
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-03-2010, 11:41 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
When you say he can't sleep on his stomach, do you mean he's waking up when he does, or that you don't want him to or there's some logistical side-car reason why he can't? If it's the latter, when DD was just about 5 months, I told the pediatrician that we put her to sleep on her back but she rolls onto her stomach. He wasn't concerned about her being on her stomach, said if she's doing it now, we won't be able to change her.
Old 09-04-2010, 12:19 AM

once they start belly sleeping there is no stopping them! i think swaddling at this point may be dangerous...

Young born-again mama and loving wife peace.gif to DH jammin.gif and SAHP to two crazy girls dust.gifwehomebirth.jpgfly-by-nursing2.gifslinggirl.giffamilybed1.gif and believe gd.giflactivist.gif  signcirc1.gif !

Old 09-04-2010, 12:13 PM - Thread Starter

It is that he Won't sleep on his belly. Even when awake, he is still getting more and more comfy hanging out on his belly- but he can't get himself back to his back very well. So he flips onto his belly and then lifts his head up and starts moving his limbs around- he doesn;t flip to his belly and settle into sleep.
so surreal Just wondering what aspect of swaddling at this point is dangerous?
Thanks!
Also- isn't this a common thing? Or do most babies, once they can flip on to their stomach, just then sleep on their stomachs?

Once he is asleep he stays on his back (or side if unswaddled) it is just the falling asleep part where he flips all aorund.
Old 09-05-2010, 08:33 PM

oh i meant if hes swaddled he cant roll back to his back...so hes been a back sleeper his whole life...if you swaddle him and he manages to roll onto his belly he will not be able to get back over with the limited mobility KWIM? i stopped swaddling at this age and DD got the hang of flipping back within 2 weeks. until he learns there is not too much you can do...he just wont sleep well a while lol

Young born-again mama and loving wife peace.gif to DH jammin.gif and SAHP to two crazy girls dust.gifwehomebirth.jpgfly-by-nursing2.gifslinggirl.giffamilybed1.gif and believe gd.giflactivist.gif  signcirc1.gif !

Old 09-05-2010, 10:36 PM - Thread Starter

If I don't swaddle him right now, he doesn't settle into sleep very well. The swaddle concerns me because he can flip in it from back to front while swaddled and not be able to flip back. So I am trying to find a better solution. Right now I am swaddling him to go to sleep and then recently started unswaddling him when he was asleep. I am thinking of purchasing some sleep positioners- though I don't know if they will work, I want to try.
Before he was flipping over (a few weeks ago) he slept unswaddled just fine, on his back.
Sosureal: when you say you stopped swaddling and your baby learned in 2 wks to flip back, what position did he or she sleep in? And how did he they settle into sleep in the interim of learning that?
Old 09-07-2010, 01:00 AM

I agree with Sosureal that swaddling seems dangerous if he is rolling onto his belly. I would want to give him every chance to roll from his stomach to his back or side if need be.

I also have a 5 1/2 month old, and I'm not sure I would use a sleep positioner with her eaither. I really try to minimize the amount of stuff in our family bed. At this age they are mobile enough to get themselves stuck some place but not coordinated enough to get unstuck.

Sorry - I realize that I haven't answered your origianl question. Just my $0.02.

User Tag List