Cosleeping with 4yo and newborn - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 4 Old 09-09-2010, 05:35 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hello everyone. I will be giving birth in about three months to dc#2. I currently sleep with dc#1, who will be 4 soon. I can't imagine not cosleeping with my 4 yo, yet I am not sure how to cosleep safely with two. I tend to fall asleep while nursing (hence the cosleeping!) so I don't feel putting the baby in a cosleeper is a realistic solution (although someone is giving me one). I also don't think I can ensure the two kids will be separate all night given the way my 4 yo moves around!

My 4 yo has his own bed in the next room, but he's only slept there once. I have been trying to prepare him, telling him that it might be harder for him to sleep in my bed once the baby arrives (because he will be woken up etc.), but I don't want to force him out. I want him to sleep on his own only when he is ready. But maybe I encourage him to sleep separately just as a short-term measure? It seems once the baby is 6-8 mos, there is less risk.

If anyone has any creative ideas on this front I would greatly appreciate it! Thanks in advance!
#2 of 4 Old 09-09-2010, 07:42 PM

Hey Mama,

I don't know what size bed you have or how you all sleep, but when my dd#2 was born last year when dd#1 was 3, we all still co-slept. I just put baby between my husband and myself and dd1 on the other side of me. We still sleep that way. Sometimes, if I have to get up with dd#2 during the night (she's 15 mo now), when we go back to bed, #1 has rolled over by daddy. When we get back in bed, that's the only time the two girls sleep next to each other, and they usually drape legs/arms over each other and I don't even worry about it anymore because dd#2 is big enough to not be bothered by big sister.

It can be done, and if you can sleep between your two kiddos, it is still pretty safe. If you're worried about your older boy falling out of the bed, you can always put up one of those safety rails on your side, or push your bed up against the wall. I know both seem extreme, but I'm sure it'd only be for a short time.

Good luck!
Sadie
#3 of 4 Old 09-10-2010, 11:11 PM

I cosleep with a 3 year old and an 8 week old, totally possible!

We got a new bed though; a king sized that's essentially on the floor which makes me feel really safe. DD has fallen off before and hasn't even woken up (although I have, and there she is all peaceful on our cozy rug..)

I sleep in between the kids, but there have been times that DD and DS have ended up next to each other, and it's been fine. I am right there, and at any movement I'm awake so I really don't worry. The bed is big, and well my husband doesn't sleep in it so we have enough space.

I love sleeping with both. The mornings can be a bit more lazy and I think the kiddos have bounded. When DS wakes up to nurse and get changed DD doesn't even really wake up which is awesome, and was one of my biggest concerns.

blogging.jpg    fambedsingle2.gif  homebirth.jpg  read.gif  happy momma to DD 8/07 and DS 6/10
#4 of 4 Old 09-10-2010, 11:37 PM

Why not bring his bed into your room? We did that with my older DD when she was about that age and it's been great for her bond with the new baby.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page