Why is my 15 mo old nightwaking?! How do I stop it? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 8 Old 09-09-2010, 07:45 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hey mamas,

So, for almost 2 months now, my 15 month old has been sleeping TERRIBLY! She wakes up every night crying and won't be comforted back to sleep without me getting out of bed and walking around with her. It's really starting to wear me down!

I've made matters worse because since we night weaned back in June, there have been a handful of nights when I've been so tired that I've just woken up to find my boob in her mouth and not even realized it. Once she goes to sleep, she doesn't (usually, unless it's one of those nights that I don't wake up) nurse until about 5am, but she ALWAYS wakes up and cries. She doesn't even pull at my shirt or even act like she's desperate to nurse though, which is the part that's weird.

She still only has 4 teeth, and for the last couple of months, I keep waiting for more to pop through, especially with the disturbed sleep. But, nothing yet. I'm wondering if it's teething related?

Any ideas as to what might be causing this night waking/screaming? And what might be a gentle but effective way to deal with it (stop it)?

Thanks!
Sadie
#2 of 8 Old 09-10-2010, 11:46 PM

Could it be molars? My DD's took AGES to come in, and she was in terrible pain--I didn't realize how bad it was until they all came in and she finally went back to sleeping peacefully.

Can your DH take a spell with getting her back to sleep? That always helped so much when my DD was going through a really difficult time at night.
#3 of 8 Old 09-11-2010, 12:14 AM

My 15 mo old was never a great sleeper, but about a month ago started sleeping thru the night. That lasted 3 weeks. Now she is waking up a lot too, crying off and on (like for less than a min, then back to sleep) and actually up about 2-3 times. It is tough!

mama to DD9, coolshine.gif DS7 bouncy.gif and DD1.luxlove.gif

#4 of 8 Old 09-11-2010, 09:39 PM

Well... I think you nightweaned her before she was ready. That would explain her crying and so forth. I was *SO* desperate to nightwean my DD, who is almost 16 months, but I stuck in there as hard as it was (and it was HARD) and lo and behold, a couple weeks later, when our lives calmed down a bit, she went from waking 8-10 times a night, to only waking 2, at the most!

So that's just my opinion. PM me if you want more info, ideas, or support

Me,yummy.gif   DS, Peace.gif and DDdust.gif Grateful to the baby I lost for sticking around long enough to teach me what I needed to know so badly  candle.gif  We  love our forest valley home, our goats and chickenschicken3.gif, and wild harvested food-medicine coolshine.gif

#5 of 8 Old 09-11-2010, 10:56 PM

I'm going to respectfully dispute the suggestion that the waking is due to not being ready to nightwean. My DD never slept well, nightweaned or not, and still wakes during the night at 3. However, she's been nightweaned since 18 months, and fully weaned since 30, with no issues with either of those transitions. We think our DD is just too darn mentally active, and she has a really hard time shutting down. With your 15 month old, it would seem suspicious to only have 4 teeth so far, that there might be some of that going on.

I think there are ways to offer comfort without nursing, and you just have to make the transition from the one you're using now, that isn't working for YOU (getting up and walking around) to something that works better. It takes a few days to transition from anything, and you have to allow time for that. The getting up and walking has become a routine, like it or not, and you have to find a different routine and substitute it. Cuddles? Songs? Water? A potty break?

Co-sleeping, Breastfeeding, EC'ing, Baby-wearing, Homebirthing mama to two fabulous girls 6/2007 and 8/2010
#6 of 8 Old 09-11-2010, 10:58 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
My 16 month old has been a bear at night for well over a month, probably close to 2. he just finally got a molar in and now I can see another one peeking up as well.

There is no way to happiness, happiness is the way.
#7 of 8 Old 09-26-2010, 10:29 AM

Just throwing it out there but my DS sleeps so much better since we both cut out dairy. He shows no other signs of allergy or intolerance other than the sleep thing. I stumbled across some posts on a different forum in a sleep deprived haze and thought it worth a try. It took about 10 days to kick in but He's 15 mo now and even his pained molar teething sleep is soo much better than it used to be. We were having 8-12 full wakings now he just stirs a bit. Not nightweaned though so can't help there. i'm hopeless at night so the boob is my weapon of choice...
#8 of 8 Old 10-01-2010, 04:17 AM

My DD is turning 16 months and we are still really struggling here, with waking 3-5 times a night and not going back to sleep without being nursed to sleep or rocked/walked by daddy. I am thinking of nightweaning her, but it's also my weapon of choice, but I'm so so tired. She has never been a good sleeper either.

mama to DD9, coolshine.gif DS7 bouncy.gif and DD1.luxlove.gif

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page