7 month sleep regression? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 9 Old 09-17-2010, 09:46 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
My DS has always been a fantastic sleeper -- we had isolated nights of sleeping through the night very early and then settled into a great pattern of waking up only once in a 12-13 hour night. But in the last week, he has started to wake up every 1.5-2 hours. He just nurses (usually pretty briefly) and then goes back to sleep, but still.

He has also stopped napping. He used to take 2, 2-hour naps. Now we're lucking if we get 2 45-minute naps. He wakes up happy and cheery, so there's no getting him back to sleep.

My poor baby needs more sleep than he's getting! Any ideas?

Sarah, mama to Miriam 9/26/2006 and Isaac 2/12/2010
#2 of 9 Old 09-17-2010, 10:20 AM

Teething, starting solids and moving (crawling/cruising/whatever) come to mind. Any of those start recently?

bedsharing, knitting, toddler-nursing, nerdy, babywearing mama!

familybed1.gif  knit.gif toddler.gif  geek.gif  momsling.GIF

#3 of 9 Old 09-17-2010, 10:45 AM - Thread Starter

No moving or teething that I can see, some solids. Do you think it's a stomach ache or hunger?

#4 of 9 Old 09-17-2010, 11:37 AM

It could just be an adjustment thing, not really pain. Or it could be a growth spurt! Not sure though! Maybe Moxie's article on "regressions" will shed some light?

bedsharing, knitting, toddler-nursing, nerdy, babywearing mama!

familybed1.gif  knit.gif toddler.gif  geek.gif  momsling.GIF

#5 of 9 Old 09-17-2010, 12:12 PM

my baby is just a week away from being 7 months, and her sleep and naps have gone to crap recently. she's a bit late on crawling/creeping, but rolling over has recently become an effortless and frequent move, unlike before when she had to really think about it. we've also been getting more into solids. not to mention the really amazing social and emotional advances she's been working on. she has been really hard to get to sleep, and some days we were lucky if we got a couple 15 min catnaps! anyway, i started swaddling again. we were swaddling up until the 6 month mark, when a heatwave and a particularily bad period of teething forced us to stop, and she was sleeping "ok" without it, so we thought that phase was over. yesterday i was seriously losing it after the 4th day in a row with minimal naps and all night waking, and i swaddled again. THREE HOUR NAP! that hasn't happened for ages! and i swaddled again for nighttime, and i got a lovely 5-6 hour stretch before she broke free and flipped onto her tummy. but she slept very well again for the rest of the night.

there is so much going on in their heads at this stage! i think the swaddle, at least for naps, just really helps cut down on the distractions and helps them relax. and the better the naps, the better the nighttime sleeping.
#6 of 9 Old 09-17-2010, 06:22 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverFish View Post

there is so much going on in their heads at this stage! i think the swaddle, at least for naps, just really helps cut down on the distractions and helps them relax. and the better the naps, the better the nighttime sleeping.
Thanks. I think we might start to swaddle again for naps. He's just about busting out of the miracle blanket, but for a nap, it should be okay. And I'm glad I'm not the only one swaddling for so long.

#7 of 9 Old 09-17-2010, 06:48 PM

My DD is 8 monyhs and she was never a really great sleeper, but since about 6 1/2 months she started waking up every 1h30-2h....and it's still going on...so I can't really help you but can only say you're not alone....I am also still swaddling because believe it or not without it it's worse.... And during the day it's cat naps of about 30 minutes..so hang in there

Memz, with mylove.gif and mommy  of babygirl.gif born 01/17/10 and 3 cat.gif familybed1.gifsaynovax.giffly-by-nursing1.gif

***4** *8***12***16***20***24***28***32***36**stork-boy.gif40

#8 of 9 Old 09-21-2010, 03:40 PM - Thread Starter

We went back to swaddling and, knock on wood, it seems to be better. He's 7 months and almost 20 pounds -- I wonder how long I can keep him swaddled?

#9 of 9 Old 09-22-2010, 01:39 AM

Yep- we are going through the exact same thing her (DD is 7 mos). . .. seriously, I could have written your post! I'm thinking it is probably a combination of things and just hoping that her natural tendencies from a young age to be a "good sleeper" will soon return. Sounds like there are others in the same boat here

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page