Do ANY cosleeping babies sleep through the night? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 09-21-2010, 01:02 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Just curious. I know mine won't for a long while, I'm sure, but I'm curious how common it is with any cosleeping babies. I know STTN shouldn't necessarily be expected of infants, but it seems even less likely when cosleeping.

Thoughts? Anyone have one who does?

DS1 born 12-31-09, DS2 born 2-18-12

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-21-2010, 01:06 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
My second babe was sleeping through the night almost immediately, and we co-slept. But oh my, that was not the case for the first. LOL.
Old 09-21-2010, 01:17 PM

Mine does... she falls asleep at about 8-9pm, we wake her to pee when we head to bed but she is starting even to not wake up for that...

She wakes up to pee and nurse at about 6am...

This has been her cycle since she was about 3 months old... before that she would wake to pee and nurse at about 1am...

My first was also STTN starting around 8 weeks... My 2nd and 3rd didn't STTN as infants but they would just wake to nurse once or twice and never really woke up...

~paxye~
Mama to Xavier (July 02) , Colin (Sept 04), Khéna(Nov 06) & Wilhelmina (Jan 10)
Old 09-21-2010, 05:24 PM

mine does. from 8pm-7am

Coffee, Vintage and Kids.  My Life.
              reading.gif  jammin.gifdust.gif   1sttri.gif

cat.gifcat.gifcat.gif

Old 09-21-2010, 05:36 PM

DS slept through the night from day one. He was a very sleepy baby.

Kymberly, Mama to DD (08/22/05) DS (08/10/08) and
Old 09-21-2010, 05:37 PM

My first did at about 4 months and man I didn't now how lucky I was. 2nd didn't until he weaned at almost 2yo and third is currently 2yrs 3 months and still nursing and not sleeping through the night. I am hopeful that if she ever weans before high school she will sleep through the night as well

~Katie~ married to J, mom to DD- A 13 yrs ,DS- L 7yrs , and my little nursling DD2- R 5yrs.

crochetsmilie.gif

Old 09-21-2010, 06:01 PM

My second did pretty much right from birth as well. He nursed in the night but never woke up.

My first was the opposite. She never slept for more than 15 minutes during the day and a few hours at a time at night.
Old 09-21-2010, 06:46 PM

This thread makes me wonder whether the "definition" of STTN includes babies who stay asleep all night, but nurse a couple times. When folks ask me whether my baby STTN, I usually answer, for my purposes, yes. We get into bed together around 9:30 or 10 pm and she sleeps straight through till about 8:30 am. Neither she nor I fully wake during the night, although she does nurse a couple times. Since my sleep doesn't get interrupted, I don't really care.

A couple of times she's been teething and woke up fully, but those times are very rare...and it seems like she stays asleep for longer stretches than my friend's babies who sleep in a crib in another room. But of course, all babies are different. And, who am I kidding? This is not just about her, but about me not having to trek all over the house during the night. I am sure I get more sleep this way.

Of course, I adore getting to snuggle with her all night long. She is the absolute cutest when she is waking up. The rest of the day, she's often too busy to cuddle with me...I really treasure those moments.

Babygirlsmama

Babygirlsmama
Old 09-21-2010, 07:01 PM

Not sure what the OP describes as STTN but I"d say my boy does. Sleep has never been a huge issue for us - I mean we have bad nights but my DH and I know that we both get TONS more sleep than we would if we weren't co-sleeping. Sometimes DS wakes up enough that I remember it, but mostly if he nurses during the night I don't even know it, it's a quick latch on and nurse back to sleep without bothering anyone.

Charlotte wife to B momma to Q 2/22/09
Old 09-21-2010, 08:57 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Not mine. I used to get a 3-4 hour stretch and then she'd wake every 2-3 hours. then at 5 months she started waking up every 1-2 hours. The last month she's been not going back to sleep for up to 2 or more hours. I'm pretty exhausted all the time. But it would be even worse if she was in a crib.

mama to Rassa, born 12/9/09
Old 09-21-2010, 08:58 PM

I'm saying that we're at that point. Of course, things change. But right now, in the midst of getting canines (teething has always been a big night-waking time for him), just past the first molar eruption, my 16 month old son is sleeping from about 8 or 9 pm and not waking up for the breast until 5 am. It's been this way for a couple of weeks now. I'm trying to push bedtime back to see if that gets him to not wake me up until 6 am. He's taking one nap, usually after lunch, maybe 1-2 hours average. And the 3 of us are in a king size bed.

The problem is, I still wake up around 2-3 am! I think I get kicked. Sometimes I'm aware of getting kicked, other times I have no idea why I'm awake.

Last night, my son crawled off the foot of the bed in his sleep. I was partially awake when I felt the kick, and then I woke up fully to the crying! He's nearly done that so many times, but I've always caught him...until last night!

p.s. I did give my son the breast after he fell off the bed at 2 am, and we'd gone to sleep at 9. I'm still calling him "nightweaned" for now. I tried nightweaning him at 12 months, and it was a disaster! He was crying so hard, slapping me, etc.
Old 09-21-2010, 09:33 PM

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Mine has slept through the night from about 11 mos on, and by that I mean falls asleep and stays asleep without nursing from about 6:30 pm - 6:30 am. He's 22 mos now and in his own bed (his choice at 14 mos) and still a fantastic sleeper. In the six months prior to starting to STTN, he'd gradually nursed less and less throughout the night. We never did any sleep training or had DH do bottle feeding, though I was sure tempted at times when the exhaustion of waking up several times throughout the night got to me. I know we're lucky to have a naturally good sleeper but I am also glad that we just let him get to it on his own.

Happy mumma to my boys Henny Tom (Nov 30, 2008), Arlo Odie (Oct 5, 2010), and baby SISTER! due mid-Dec 2014.
Old 09-21-2010, 09:52 PM

My toddler does occasionally. I don't. Ever.

babyboy.gif: 01/10/2009 and 09/29/2011

Old 09-22-2010, 12:47 AM

Nope. 11 months and still up. Cosleeping just eliminates the trekking back an forth to the crib. Having a bad sell right now so I'm actually pining for the days of 2 wake-ups a night...

Woman, Wife, Mom to beautiful DD (10/14/09), Copywriter, occasionally tearing my hair out but usually pretty happy about it all
Old 09-22-2010, 01:22 AM

My second slept all night, every night without waking at all right from birth. 12 hours every night. It would have been AWESOME if his 2.5 yo brother wasn't still waking up 6 or 7 times

Old 09-22-2010, 01:55 AM

Location: Where creepy facebook-featured threads can't find me
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
My sister's four kids all sttn at 9-10-11 months. She nursed on demand and they slept I. The arms reach. We tried to not cosleep with ds and it didn't help A&R all just caused me to haul my but out of bed 3 times a nightm get on the chair, nurse him, wait for him to go to sleep, and then haul back to the crib. Cosleeping isn't perfect for me with dd but it is much easier without the hauling.

We use NCSS with our first at around 18 m and it helped. Slow, but helped and he was sstn before our second was born.
Old 09-22-2010, 02:23 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by babygirlsmama View Post
This thread makes me wonder whether the "definition" of STTN includes babies who stay asleep all night, but nurse a couple times. When folks ask me whether my baby STTN, I usually answer, for my purposes, yes. We get into bed together around 9:30 or 10 pm and she sleeps straight through till about 8:30 am. Neither she nor I fully wake during the night, although she does nurse a couple times. Since my sleep doesn't get interrupted, I don't really care.

Babygirlsmama
Great way of putting it. Compared to non-cosleeping families, no she doesn't sleep through the night BUT we rarely ever get out of bed or fully wake up!
Old 09-22-2010, 02:35 AM

ds nursed 3-6 times a night until 14 mos...I night weaned him because of cavities. he slept 10hrs the second night and from then on
dd slept 5-7 hrs from birth (I did not wake her to feed-learned that lesson...lol) she started waking to feedat 3 mos....teeth growth spurt....dh started sleeping with her at night...no problem sttn

mom to ds '07 first day of a new year, dd '09 in the caul, and  ds '11 at home Oct 24th

Old 09-22-2010, 02:47 AM

dd2 sleeps for 10-12 hours. She latches on and nurses periodically, but not enough to wake me. If I had her anywhere but in bed with me, I would not have slept well I don't think for worrying about her and whether she was breathing or awake and scared. Co sleeping is the way to sleep IMO. I wake up a lot , but not wide awake to look at her and make sure she is ok(to go to the bathroom myself too), but not as much as during the first year. She has almost always gone to sleep and stayed that way except for nursing (and night pottying since we ec) since she was a few months old. We do not keep any schedules here though, so sometimes our big sleep is 7 pm- 6 am, and other times it drifts around to be bed at 6 am and get up at 5 pm.... schedules just don't work for us, we just go to bed when we are tired and get up when fully rested.

To begin to save the world, we must first nurture the children. Read "The Continuum Concept: In Search of Happiness Lost"    saynovax.gifgoorganic.jpgintactlact.gifMe-hippie.gifreading.gifhelp.gif10.5 yo dd1- nut.gifreading.gifblahblah.gif ; 5 yo dd2- angel.gifhearts.gifbouncy.gif
Old 09-22-2010, 10:41 AM

DS doesn't, but he is just 10 months. Unless he's teething (and he has been doing that an awful lot lately), he wakes once to nurse, usually between 2-4 a.m. He goes down for the night between 8:30-10:30 in his crib, and I bring him to bed with me when I go, between 11:30-1(really, need to stop these really late nights). Sometimes he wants to nurse as we lay down, sometimes not, but it is dreamfeeding; he isn't really awake.

I need to pick up a copy of the NCSS. It would be great if he was STTN in his crib before we have #2.

Katrina - Mama to Gabriel  sleepytime.gif 11/20/2009 and Norah vbac.gif 10/11/2011- married to Wayne - geek.gif novaxnocirc.gifbfinfant.giffamilybed1.gifcd.gif&nbspand now new baby Theodore born 3/11/13 vbac.gif

Old 09-28-2010, 10:07 AM

Due to painting our master bedroom, we tried out transitioning DS to his crib this weekend. Lo and behold, he STTN! and did again last night for the 4th night in a row.

Call me crazy, but I really miss having him in bed with me, but I do love the uninterrupted sleep!

Katrina - Mama to Gabriel  sleepytime.gif 11/20/2009 and Norah vbac.gif 10/11/2011- married to Wayne - geek.gif novaxnocirc.gifbfinfant.giffamilybed1.gifcd.gif&nbspand now new baby Theodore born 3/11/13 vbac.gif

Old 09-28-2010, 02:33 PM

i remember reading a much older thread about this, and people responded by saying theirs started (cosleeping fams) around 22-25 months. can anyone with older children comment on this??
Old 09-30-2010, 01:15 AM

Wow! What are your secrets for STTN? When I say STTN, I mean go to bed and not wake up until the morning, no wake-ups for nursing, no wake-ups for pottying, no wake-ups whatsoever. Let an exhausted mama in on the secret.

Wife to DH (11/93) and mom to DS (11/09). gd.gifbfinfant.giffamilybed1.gifcd.gifsigncirc1.gifsaynovax.gifslingboy.gif
Old 09-30-2010, 02:06 AM

I agree with PPs who said it depends on your standards. My girls learned pretty fast that mom sucks at nighttime parenting, and seriously learned not to poop their diaper at night by a couple months old LOL. Pee can wait. I guess when they were old enough to wiggle around enough to find my breast with very little assistance from me (ie, without really waking me up. They usually weren't totally awake either). That was good enough for me. Probably not STTN by most people's standards, but hey, I took what I could get I also didn't burp them at night. Like I said, I am a very lazy nighttime parent.

But really, I strongly prefer stirring a few times a night to nurse, never really waking up, to getting up and going to another room to feed, comfort, change diapers, etc even if it's only once. Even though there may be more "wakings" with bed-sharing, I don't think they're as disruptive to sleep as they would be if baby were in another room. In short, I don't think that STTN is the holy grail for mothers who bed-share, as it seems to be for families who don't bed-share.

Wife to DH and mama to DD(7) blahblah.gifand DD(5) moon.gif...Lola the Wiener Dog dog2.gif, Faulkner the Little Giant dog2.gif, Ginger the Wonder Cat cat.gif,  Azkaban the blue parakeet, Sunny the yellow parakeet, 3 nameless hermit crabs, and a whole bunch of fish!

Old 09-30-2010, 06:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lirazel View Post
Just curious. I know mine won't for a long while, I'm sure, but I'm curious how common it is with any cosleeping babies. I know STTN shouldn't necessarily be expected of infants, but it seems even less likely when cosleeping.

Thoughts? Anyone have one who does?
DD did not sleep for more than 2-3 hours at a time until she was nightweaned. Once nightweaned, she would sleep 5-6 hours (technically STTN). When she was entirely weaned at 18 mos., she began sleeping from bedtime (btw. 7:30 and 9:00 p.m.) until she woke in the morning (btw. 6:00 and 8:00 a.m.). Always in our bed.

ETA: She's nearly 20 mos. and sleeps like a brick once she's finally asleep. She grumbles in her sleep if DH and I talk too loudly over her.

Old 10-01-2010, 01:42 AM

Dear God, there was hell to pay with mine until I figured out that I needed to burp him several times during the night in the first few months! I was RELIEVED when I realized that's what he was crying for!
Old 10-01-2010, 01:50 AM

Sometimes I think the nightweaning helped my son (16 mo) sleep longer. But like I said in an earlier post, I tried it at 12 months, and he was not having it.

I've figured out that he's waking up at 5 am seriously hungry. Once he even went to the kitchen doors and pointed. Some of the times, I took him to the kitchen, had a full snack, and got 3 more hours of sleep out of him. When I breastfeed, he wakes up every 1/2 hr or hour 2-3 times before he wakes up for good. I think the milk isn't holding him anymore. He's quite a chunk too, pushing 30 lbs. Maybe this is a growth spurt.
Old 10-01-2010, 01:52 AM

I wouldn't call you crazy. I still wake up at 2 or 3 am because I've been kicked. Or whacked in the face with the head. The very hard head. owwww!!!
Old 10-02-2010, 12:34 PM

I like this thread. It reaffirms to me that DD is not waking because I am cosleeping with her. She just wakes up because she is a baby. Also, gives me hope for the next one.
Old 10-02-2010, 07:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by babygirlsmama View Post
For me that is not STTN. It is exactly what you said, which is its own category, imo.

OP, mine started STTN at 3 mnths when I let him sleep on his tummy.

User Tag List