Can I use a twin next to our bed as a sidecar? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 10-05-2010, 01:52 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Someone is offering me a nice twin matteress and boxsprings for $30.00 -- can this be used as a sidecar? Any ladies here use a twin for this purpose? We have a queen now, so adding a twin would give me and hubby a little more space.

Dixielane (22) Wife to DH,  co-sleeping familybed1.gif, saynovax.gifexclusive BFing, BWing femalesling.GIF
Mommy to DD "S" born May 2010energy.gif & EXPECTING #2!! babyf.gifpos.gif due Jan. 2012
"Trust in the Lord with all your heart"

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-05-2010, 02:47 PM

I can't see why not. Just make sure there are no gaps where baby could get wedged. Maybe once baby is mobile put a bed rail along the bottom end of the bed, if it's open. You might want to use big zip ties to really tightly connect the two beds together so they can't move apart. Then you can get one of the foam bed connector things that are made to connect two beds together.

Hippie sympathizer and mom to L, 4.8.10.
Pet-mom to Squirt with FLUTD & Maya the deaf wonder dog .
Old 10-05-2010, 03:37 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I use a twin next to our main bed. We only started 3 weeks ago and our beds are on the floor (we use rubber grips to keep the beds in place). I have to say, we are still working out the kinks. I guess it depends on how many times your LO wakes up. I spend alot of the second part of the night sleeping in the crack or press up against the wall because I get too tired to move back to my own bed, but sleep somewhat uncomfortably (like not enough covers, weird neck angle, etc). Most nights it's not abig deal (she only wakes 2-3 times) but now she's teething again and waking more often and it's annoying to slip back and forth between the beds 4-6 times a night... just my experience so far...

mama to Rassa, born 12/9/09
Old 10-05-2010, 04:27 PM

We did that, with DS. We put a bedrail on the far side of the twin bed, just in case, and then pushed the two beds together. My DS would sleep two or three hour stretches if he could sleep a few feet away from me, but if he was in contact, he would wake up every half hour all night. (I had two babies in the bed, plus me and DH, and there was no room for him to be at a distance.) But he needed side-lying nursing to fall asleep, and I got so cramped trying to scrunch into the side-carred crib to nurse, so what would happen is I would nurse him in the twin, then slip into my own bed, and then climb in with him when he woke, and then slip away again. I think I got less sleep for the first few days, because I was trying to stay awake long enough to get back into my own bed when he was done-- but after a few days, he started sleeping longer stretches, so I was able to sleep, too.

me knit.gif, he bikenew.gif, my three reading.gif, sleepytime.gif, and fairy.gif-- and the one we lost angel2.gif
Old 10-07-2010, 01:37 AM

Yes! I have a full size futon sidecarred to our bed- the mattresses are pushed tightly together and it's really just like having a giant cali king

Carrie~ wife to Ryan, and finally mama to Emmery (1/15/09) via IVF after 3 1/2 years TTC!
Breast Feeding, Bed Sharing, Baby Wearing, Select/Delayed Vaxing, Attached Family
Old 10-07-2010, 04:14 PM

We have a twin next to our king. It works great for us!

April thankful mommy to my boys Big Red 3/06 Little Z 9/08 and happily awaiting the arrival of 10/10 :

User Tag List