How and When does the bedtime become early? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 11 Old 10-09-2010, 01:26 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Cross-posting in Life with a Babe and Nighttime parenting)

I read that usually around 4 months, babies will start to have an earlier bedtime - between 6-8 p.m., but usually on the early end of that. My DS is 4 months 10 days and this still has not happened.

I can GET him to sleep so incredibly easiliy around 6:30 or 7 p.m. - he falls asleep faster (nursing) at this time than any other time of the day. HOWEVER, he always, always, always wakes up after 40 minutes to 1 hour. It was consistently 40 minutes but just shifted to an hour. What's more, if I put him back to sleep when he wakes up rather than just going to bed with him, I'm lucky if it lasts for 10 minutes.

Am I to expect that one day, he will go to sleep at 7 p.m., and just not wake up for several hours? How do I transition this late afternoon/early evening nap into bedtime?

P.S. this happens whether or not I go through a bedtime routine before putting him to sleep.

Jenna, Mama to my little sprocket, born at home 5/29/2010
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 11 Old 10-09-2010, 01:36 PM

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
When they take less naps the bedtime gets earlier. I can only imagine a 6-7pm bedtime if you're all waking up very early in the morning though, like 6am, which we aren't. Each of mine started going to bed about 8pm when he went down to 1-2 naps at like 10mo, and it was a gradual move from going down from 6:30-8:30ish, then up for an hour then back to bed, to going down later and staying down (except feeds and comforting back to sleep a few times through the night of course). That book sounds silly to generalize, to me - 4months their routines are still changing rapidly IME.
#3 of 11 Old 10-09-2010, 01:38 PM

I have literally no idea. If DD is ever asleep at that time, it's a nap and has been since her sleep sorted out into naps and night sleep (vs newborn sleep).

Have you heard of the 1-2-3 rule? First nap 1 hour after waking, second nap 2 hours after the first, bed 3 hours later?

If that seems to fit with what your baby does, maybe you could try waking him up at a time that makes bedtime work for you?
#4 of 11 Old 10-09-2010, 01:58 PM

Just in this past week, at 5 1/2 months, is my baby going to bed at 7:30. She will wake a couple hours later and I nurse her again. Not sttn yet, but that's ok. I'm happy Noe that she's getting ready for bed earlier. We wake up at 7am.

Our rainbow baby, Anna Beatrice was born April 11/2010 after 4 m/c. She joins 4 brothers and sisters.
#5 of 11 Old 10-09-2010, 03:06 PM

my baby is 6 1/2 months and still takes 3 naps during the day.

right around 3 months, we were still keeping him with us at night til he went to bed. he had the same behavior in the evening as the rest of the day, napping, eating, playing. it wasn't til after 10pm that he wouldn't have play time.

but at 3 months, he started sleeping more than 3 hrs at night his first stretch, and not wanting to have awake time between evening "naps earlier and earlier." he also started to get fussy around 7/8 if we weren't settling him down, even if he'd just had a nap. so, we followed his cues... he still likes to get settled starting at 7, and is usually asleep b/n 7:30 and 8.

every baby is different

me+him for 15 yrs, welcomed our little one march 25th, 2010.

#6 of 11 Old 10-09-2010, 04:26 PM

Moved from LWAB and merged with thread here as FBNP is the proper forum for this. Thanks!

Eden yikes.gif, working on a PhD in Education mama to Laurelleshamrocksmile.gif (16), Orijoy.gif (6), Yarrowfaint.gif (4) and Linusfly-by-nursing1.gif (1) partner to Brice. 
#7 of 11 Old 10-09-2010, 08:21 PM

My DD frequently takes naps at 7:00, but at 6 months she still goes to bed at about 9:00.

Hippie sympathizer and mom to L, 4.8.10.
Pet-mom to Squirt with FLUTD & Maya the deaf wonder dog .
#8 of 11 Old 10-10-2010, 05:12 AM

I've just never got my kids up again when they wake up, so they would go to bed at about 6.30pm (or whenever) and if they woke after that I would stay in the room until they went to sleep again. One important thing is to reeeaaaallly make sure they've sound asleep when you leave the room for the second time. If I got impatient and tried to sneak out too early then guaranteed they would be awake not long after I left.

Also, I have always made sure the bedroom is really dark and that the house is quite quiet so there is less chance of external factors waking them up.

It's complicated.
#9 of 11 Old 10-10-2010, 12:42 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Learning_Mum View Post
I've just never got my kids up again when they wake up, so they would go to bed at about 6.30pm (or whenever) and if they woke after that I would stay in the room until they went to sleep again. One important thing is to reeeaaaallly make sure they've sound asleep when you leave the room for the second time. If I got impatient and tried to sneak out too early then guaranteed they would be awake not long after I left.

Also, I have always made sure the bedroom is really dark and that the house is quite quiet so there is less chance of external factors waking them up.
That's what I have considered doing. I might try having papa go in and sit with DS while he falls back to sleep....that hasn't worked in the past, but we might try it. DS usually wakes up crying and is hard to console, without a boob, anyway.

Thanks to everyone for the helpful responses - keep 'em coming please!

Jenna, Mama to my little sprocket, born at home 5/29/2010
#10 of 11 Old 10-10-2010, 03:03 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
It depends on the child and their awake/sleep style. None of mine had an early bedtime (8Pm) until they were school age. They all had a late afternoon/early evening brief nap around dinner time at your lo's age. Actually bedtime then was around 9-10 pm. With waking up between 2 and 5 am for nursing. Then back to sleep until 7-8 am. Angela only had one nap during the day. It started out around 10 am and went until 3 pm. And got progressively later in the morning until she was napping 1-3 in the afternoon around 2-3 yo. Dylan gave up that late afternoon nap around 12-18 months but didn't start going to bed at 8 pm until he started Kindergarten at age 5.5. But he didn't wake up until 8 am. IN fact, 10 pm to 8 am is still his prefered sleep schedule and he's 12.

Here are some ideas as to what a 4 mo schedule/routine looks like: http://www.flickr.com/photos/isew/537354549/

And here's what they can look like at 5-6 months: http://www.flickr.com/photos/isew/537354549/

Chris--extended breastfeeding, cloth diapering, babywearing, co-sleeping, APing, CLW, homeschooling before any of this was a trend mom to Joy (1/78), Erica (8/80), Angela (9/84), Dylan (2/98)
#11 of 11 Old 10-12-2010, 12:55 AM

My guy had an 8 pm bedtime until almost a year. He dropped down to 1 nap and now he usually goes down between 630-7. Unless i let him take an afternoon nap like he did today.

Cristeen ~ Always remembering our stillheart.gif  warrior ~ Our rainbow1284.gif  is 3, how'd that happen?!?! 

We welcomed another rainbow1284.gifstillheart.gif  warrior in May 2012!! 

2012 Decluttering challenge - 575/2012

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page