Need Help with Attachment Parenting SLEEP issues - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 5 Old 10-15-2010, 06:18 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Can anyone recommend any book/website/thread where I can get some help with my 25 month old's sleep issues? We are still breastfeeding and cosleeping and he does not nap and is up all night nursing. He basically doesn't sleep! I know he needs it, and am afraid our sleeping arrangements have set him up for a lifetime of sleep issues! PLEASE HELP!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 5 Old 10-15-2010, 06:36 PM

Sorry, no book recommendations...

I think our dd is like a lot of kids here: Did not sleep throughout the night until 3 (when something in sleep changes naturally). However, since then she sleeps better than most kids her age, who were sleep trained... hardly ever has nightmares, does not fight sleep, etc.

I am very happy that we have always listened to her and tried our best to respond to her needs. However, there were some tough times, when she did not sleep well as a baby/toddler. I was really tired for a long time.

Mama to a little lady and always praying for more.
#3 of 5 Old 10-15-2010, 07:09 PM

Sleepless in America, and The No Cry Sleep Solution for Toddlers are great books on sleep with AP point of view.

There is also a great article on nightweaning (done gently without Cry-It-Out) by Dr. Jay Gordon.

sleep deprivation is tough. My DS was a terrible sleeper until we nightweaned using a slower version of the Jay Gordon method at 19 months old, and he now STTN most every night. I also got a lot of great ideas from Sleepless in America. Good luck!

Catie belly.gif- Happy wife to Aaron stillheart.gif(01.05), mama to Liambikenew.gif(08.08), and Ian jammin.gif (11.10)! homebirth.jpgnocirc.giffamilybed1.gif and joy.gif due Feb 2013 with blessing #3!

#4 of 5 Old 10-19-2010, 05:20 PM - Thread Starter

Thank you so much for both of your responses...this helps so much and gives me hope!
#5 of 5 Old 10-19-2010, 09:07 PM

Just want to add another voice to let you know you are not alone. Neither of my children were good sleepers as babies and for us there was little improvement until they night-weaned. With my DS1 that was at age 2.5, and with DS2 it happened last month at age 3. In both cases we moved them to their own room with Daddy sleeping with them. Within a few days they were pretty much sleeping through.
DS1 is now 6 and is a really good sleeper and he was absolutely TERRIBLE as a baby. He was up literally 20x a night for many, many months.
Good luck and know that this doesn't mean he will always be a not-great sleeper.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page