transitioning toddler to her own bed + nightweaning - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 2 Old 10-22-2010, 02:27 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I cannot figure out the logistics of having 19mo DD in her own room. I try the monitor and it keeps us both up. Her room is across the house so she'd have to cry loudly to hear it without the monitor and I don't want that. I put up a gate and DD freaks if she sees it. Do you think she's old enough to come to our room on her own? Moving her to our room when she wakes up seems to wake her up more, so I end up sleeping on her floor. I don't seem to sleep as well with her not with me, but do you get used to it?

We really are fine if she stayed in our bed, but she without a doubt sleeps better in her own bed now. On weekends when we stay up late, she sleeps until we come to bed as late as 2am, but on weeknights she'll usually be up nursing as soon as I come in. It's 12:30 now and she's still out (DH is off tomorrow so we're up still). And she likes her room and gets in her bed on her own when she's tired.

I'm also ready to gently night wean. One night a couple months ago she was nursing non stop and I couldn't take it anymore, so I took her in her room and layed on her bed while she played. I fell asleep and woke up with her sleeping next to me! So I try to get her to sleep without nursing first, but the problem there's lots of sitting up, talking, maybe some whining, and it keeps DH up. I'm nursing her when she doesn't even need it just to keep her quiet, which I don't like. But in her room, she's taking really well to the nightweaning. Tonight for the first time I got her to go to sleep without nursing her to sleep (usually I can only do it during the night). She was nursing nursing nursing so I cut if off and sang and patted for an hour, but she eventually went to sleep.

Another option is to wait until DH is off at Christmas and let DH handle the nightweaning and keep her in our bed. The dentist said she's about to break through on her first 2yr molar, so I know sleep is going to go out the window for a while. Maybe she'll start sleeping better with just the nightweaning? ANd my LLL leader was telling me that if they're only nursing to sleep, once you night wean, they generally wean on their own soon after. I'd really like to make it through the winter.

Ah! I don't know what to do!

mom to DD 3/09
#2 of 2 Old 10-22-2010, 10:09 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
So my 25 month old DD was/is only nursing to sleep and she decided she wanted to sleep in her own bed in her room (it's right next door so we don't have the monitor issue) and slowly but surely these last few weeks she's been in there she's slept longer and longer without wanting to nurse. Some nights I can go in and just tell her to lay down and sit with her patting her and she goes right back to sleep, sometimes I have to sit at the edge of the bed and nurse. A few times she's gotten back in our bed, early in the morning. BUT the last 2 nights she has sleep 9- 10 hours straight, no waking, no nursing. Only wanting "muk" when she wakes up, and this morning not until about an hour or so after she woke up with DH. So I can vouch for what your LLL leader said! I still miss her, and it makes me sad...but I haven't had 9+ hours of uninterrupted sleep in over 2 years (including her waking me up when I was pregnant!!) and I feel fantastic today!

Sounds to me like she's ready and it will be pretty easy, good luck!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page