Any deep sleeping parents have not-great-sleepers for kids? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 10-27-2010, 03:16 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Sorry, this is long and rambling, skip it if you are easily annoyed!!

As I cautiously contemplate having another child sleep is on my mind.
After our initial NICU/PPD insomnia/sick baby rollercoaster our DS has been a sleepy dream.

Dh and I are sleepers. Well, I am a lighter sleeper after about 4 am or so especially when stressed, but overall we are sleepers. Unless we are talking we are both asleep the minute our heads hit the pillow, even if we are averaging our 8 hours. We had the misfortune of having to share a hotel room with another couple once. The had to leave and buy earplugs because my H snores and I toss and talk loudly in my sleep. They were shocked we got any sleep, but I didn't realize that my husband snores. On the rare occasions that I have caffeine too late or have insomnia and he falls into a deep sleep before I do I notice he snores. All this to say: we are sleepers. We don't get up to pee, both our mothers remember us sleeping really well as babies. We do both like a dark room without any electronics/lights/buzzing, though.

We cosleep and Ds has been sleeping 10-12 hours straight from about 9 months. I truly believe that sleepers are born and not made, so I don't have confidence that the next one will sleep, or that I made DS a sleeper by doing everything right. In reading this forum and flipping through the baby sleep books I didn't need (but bought and tried to read when I had PPD and was sure my baby, once brought home from the NICU, would never sleep) I see that I did a lot of things "right" because I am such a deep sleeper. Like: not interacting with DS when he woke up, just snuggled and acted asleep, cuz I WAS. No turning on lights to feed him, no changing diapers in the middle of the night etc. Mama's that can haul themselves out of bed and into another room to tend to littles amaze me. I think one of the things that makes cosleeping work so well for us is that my DH and I sleep through everything. All the little noises and grunts etc. My LO did not keep me awake!

Anyway, I am worried about my PPD returning if I get sleep deprived. It makes me consider not having another. Have any of you had a bad sleeper born into a family of sleepers? How genetic/inborn is it??

Oh, I think my DS woke/wakes up several times at night, but he just snuggles in close etc. I am sure that if had been in a crib, he would have woken up and woken us up. He slept in a mini cosleeper until he outgrew it. I actually feel less safe with an infant in my bed because I am such a heavy sleeper.

User Tag List