Show of hands, does your EBF infant sleep through the night?? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 10-28-2010, 02:34 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Wondering how many infants out there who are breastfed and sleep in their own crib are sleeping through the night? If so, when did your infant night wean?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-28-2010, 03:18 AM

my ds is only 2 months and wakes up twice to feed at night. if i go to bed late, he wakes up once

but we cosleep and he doesnt nurse/snack in bed

Coffee, Vintage and Kids.  My Life.
              reading.gif  jammin.gifdust.gif   1sttri.gif

cat.gifcat.gifcat.gif

Old 10-28-2010, 07:11 PM

Our baby is 9 weeks and sleeps with us. She usually wakes up twice to nurse - usually around 2AM and then again at 4AM.
Old 10-28-2010, 07:12 PM

My DS is 6 months & still waking a lot (3+ times a night). He's been in his own room since 8 wks. I should say that things are getting better. He did a 4 hour stretch last night w/only 1 feeding. Yay. I'm working on getting him through the night, but it might take a bit. I think every baby is different. I have a co-worker whose baby started STTN at 8 weeks. Of course, she did Baby Wise, which is not my style. Good luck.

Beth - blissfully married to Doug. DS - Liam (5/10) nocirc.gif &  Darcy (2/13). homebirth.jpg waterbirth.jpgNew SAHM & Labor Doula.

babygirl.gif Welcome baby girl! Born at home, in the water, in the caul, and caught by daddy. February 24, 2013!  babygirl.gif

Old 10-29-2010, 04:25 AM

Well my son sleeps with me, always has, and at 3 months he wakes every 2-4 hours to nurse.

Crunchy Christian mama to my home birthed, unvaxed, uncirc boys Shane and Cody!!joy.gif
Old 10-29-2010, 12:17 PM

Nope. He nurses 3+ times a night.

~Mama of a sweet baby boy 8/26/2010~

http://www.wildly-natural-skin-care.com
~Learn about naturally caring for your skin with the wild flair and passion of the green Earth~

Old 10-29-2010, 01:07 PM

No, he wakes up several times to eat still. He's in an Arm's Reach co-sleeper beside our bed.

Nursing a toddlerfly-by-nursing1.gifNurturing a preschooler jog.gif   

ribboncesarean.gifx2

Old 10-29-2010, 01:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by springfever View Post
No, he wakes up several times to eat still. He's in an Arm's Reach co-sleeper beside our bed.
This for my mid-march baby as well.

Third generation WOHM. I work by choice.
Old 10-29-2010, 01:23 PM

Ha ha ha ha ha ha ha!!!!

Oh, you're seriously asking?

No. Nine months and counting, he wakes at least 3x per night.

I know 20 people will chime in about their EBF baby who slept through from birth, but in my limited experience, the all-night sleeper is a myth....
Old 10-29-2010, 01:27 PM

My LOs are 6 and 3 (years, that is) neither one have every slept through the night. The 6yo doesn't nurse anymore, but the 3 yo does. We night weaned 2 months ago and his sleeping has improved to 2-4 wake ups a night.
Old 10-29-2010, 01:35 PM

9 week old DD goes 6 straight hours without nursing or needing a diaper change

Before anyone throws anything at me, I think I've earned a good sleeper after how bad 19 month old DS STILL is. It's unusual for him to make it just 4 hours without waking for whatever it is. When he was still EBF, he didn't make it longer than 2 hours until he was 6 months old.

FWIW in most mainstreamers' minds, STTN means they put the baby in the crib and they don't cry too bad at any point during the night, it doesn't mean their child is actually sleeping all night.
Old 10-29-2010, 02:43 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
DS2, 4 months, goes to sleep at 7:30 and sleeps through to between 4:30 and 6:30 each night. At 6 weeks he suddenly started sleeping through until 3 am (this was an overnight change) and that time has slowly been lengthening and now it is consistently closer to 6-6:30.

My other 3 were over a year before they started sleeping that long without nursing.

Chaotic uc.jpg homeschool.gif mama to 5 plus a bonus one on the way.  stork-suprise.gif

chicken3.gif

Old 10-29-2010, 02:45 PM

Of my three kids, one slept through the night as an infant - from about 5 weeks on. She slept in a crib sometimes, in bed with me other times. The other two didn't sleep though for years.
Old 10-29-2010, 04:22 PM

My DS2 is 9 months and still up two to three (sometimes more) times a night. He hates to sleep with me and has slept in a crib for several months.

My DS1 slept through the night at about a year.
Old 10-29-2010, 06:35 PM

At 28 months DS is not STTN (never has) and wakes about 3-4 times to nurse.
Old 10-29-2010, 07:20 PM

This Baby (#3, 16 weeks old) typically goes 5-7 hours a night.
She's EBF.
My other two didn't. I don't think they sleep through the night even now at 8 and 11!
Old 10-29-2010, 07:36 PM

My 2 year old was EBF for at least 3 months and began STTN at 4 wks old, on her own, I did NOTHING to encourage it. We do not bed share, but she was in a cradle at the foot of the bed until 4 months old, then in a crib in her own room

My 6 wk old will randomly give me six hour stretches. Sometimes during the day, sometimes at night, sometimes, like the last two days, 3 hours is the longest. She is still completely EBF, and still in the cradle at the end of the bed.

But, like the previous poster, I EARNED these stretches. My oldest, 14 now, was not STTN until she started school. I clearly remember driving around with her at 3am, 5am even some nights. And she was totally formula fed!
Old 10-29-2010, 07:53 PM

Location: Where creepy facebook-featured threads can't find me
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Nope, and I don't expect her too. But all FOUR of my sisters kids nursed on demand, stayed in their co-sleepers and STTN at around 10m.

DS nighweaned around 20m. He wasn't nursing much, I was pregnant and my supply was really low, and DH took over night parenting. But he did SSTN between 2-4m; I just ruined it by going back to work. He started SSTN a few months after he night weans and still does for the most part.

DD still nurses once or twice a night. Mostly she just wants a snuggle if she is wrestless.
Old 10-30-2010, 11:43 PM

Nope! At 7.5 mos old now, maybe The Babe has slept 4+ hours 3 or 4 times.

Usually, I don't even know... 4? 5? 6? It seems like she eats more often at night during the day now. Generally I go to bed a few hours after her, and she eats at least 3 - 4 times in those 8 hours.
Old 10-30-2010, 11:48 PM

DD is almost 8 months, sleeps with us, and between 7pm and 7am wakes up 2-3 times to nurse. Technically I think she is sleeping through the night because she has a chunk from 10pm-5am some nights.

Mama to three

Old 10-30-2010, 11:56 PM

DS1 slept through the night (10p to 5a) by six weeks, in his own space. DS2 sleeps in his crib from 10p to 2a, then sleep with me and nurses about every three hours until I finally get my lazy butt out of bed, usually after I get sick of the cartoons DS1 turns on when he crawls into bed with us around 7.

Heathyr hang.gifBlessed Catholic Wife to DHwheelchair.gif Devoted Mama to DS1 biglaugh.gif(3/17/08) and DS2blowkiss.gif (8/5/2010)familybed1.gifcd.giflactivist.gifribboncesarean.gifx2 
Old 10-31-2010, 12:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicole730 View Post
DD is almost 8 months, sleeps with us, and between 7pm and 7am wakes up 2-3 times to nurse. Technically I think she is sleeping through the night because she has a chunk from 10pm-5am some nights.
IMHO, 10pm to 5am is STTN. That is a full night's sleep for me, baby or not. It's 7 hours of sleep, which is on the heavy end of what I need, I am good with 5 or 6 hours.
Old 10-31-2010, 12:03 AM

DS will be 6 months old next week and he is nowhere near sleeping through the night. I can't really say how many times he wakes during the night because I am basically sleeping while nursing him... usually I just roll over, and we fall asleep nursing. He seems to eat a lot more at night than during the day. However, he does go to bed at around 7-7:30 pm and will sleep until about midnight,but then after that he is basically at the boob all night
Old 10-31-2010, 12:05 AM

I pumped for my twins and fed on demand. My son slept through the night at 4 months old (and was 2 months early) and slept through almost every night since. My daughter never slept through the night until well over a year old.

They both start the night in their crib, and are welcome in our bed if they want/need mama at night. My son never liked co-sleeping, my daughter did and does.

I think it depends so much on the kid's personality. I often tell people that if I only had my son, I would think I had all the answers and was doing everything right. He's one of those abnormally easy going kids. My daughter is very spirited in everything, and it shows in her sleep.

Welcoming our twins :: born February 21, 2009 at 33 weeks! :
C-section due to pre-eclampsia and HELLP:
Old 10-31-2010, 06:23 AM

My LO is 20 mos and still nurses during the night, but since it doesn't wake me up and hasn't since he was a couple of months old I consider that sleeping hrough he night

Jayne, sewing up a storm mama to ds1 9/03, ds2 2/09, and 2 sweet furbabies.

Old 10-31-2010, 07:37 AM

My DD is 2.5years old, nightweaned, and still wakes at night. Only a couple of times most nights, and she's generally good with a snuggle back to sleep, but she definitely wakes and looks for me. She was nursing during those times a few weeks ago. As an infant she slept a 5hr stretch then a couple of 3 hour stretches from an abnomally young age (like 3-4wks). No I didn't do anything to cause that, it was just what she did. From 1.5 to 2.5 though she was waking like every 2 hours because of cutting molars. She has one molar left, I'm hoping it comes soon!

The twins are still in utero, but DP says they don't sleep at all at night, they kick her all night long instead. :-D

ribbonrainbow.gif: mamas to one DD (5/08) and two DS's (11/9/10 @ 35wks)
blogging.jpgnocirc.gifdelayedvax.gifgd.gif1pump.giftoddler.giffamilybed2.gifcd.gif
Old 10-31-2010, 11:40 AM

my 8 month old has been STTN off and on since about 2 months i think? it's a bit foggy now. the slightest change will throw her off though... she was STTN almost every night (9pm-5am) until teething started, and then she got sick, and then we visited family, and then teething started again, etc etc. so she hasn't consistently slept well since she was about 5 months. last week we started getting a few good nights of 8pm-6am but then we both got sick! i am forever grateful that i have been able to get a full nights sleep more often than not though. especially when she did me a huge favour and slept until 4am last night...
Old 10-31-2010, 07:15 PM

Nope.

My 2.5 year old *still* doesn't totally STTN (and she's completely weaned for nearly 6 months now) and as a baby she woke every 1-2 hours, or even more often for the first 18 months or so.

The baby is much better than she was but still not STTN - she goes for about 4 hours for the first stretch at night, but then wakes every 1-2 hours for the rest of the night (which of course is the stretch that I'm actually in bed trying to sleep). It's nice to get a reasonable stretch in the evening to hang out with DH, but I'd really like to get some decent chunks of sleep for myself too. She's nearly 9 weeks old now, and half in a side-carred cot, half in bed with us.

Lisa - mama to Eleanor Rose 01/08 and Saoirse Lily 09/10
Old 10-31-2010, 07:37 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
We sleep in the same bed and my 12 month old nurses several times a night, but he just rolls over and latches on. I was reading the other day about gastric emptying and breastmilk takes about 48 minutes to pass through and formula about 78 minutes, so it explains that need for frequent nourishment.
Old 10-31-2010, 11:44 PM

My first woke seriously 10 times some nights.

My 1 YO used to be a great sleeper. slept her first 6 hour stretch when she was 2 days old and would sleep 6-8 hours most nights. 4 hours was a bad night. Then she started rolling, swaddling didn't work any more, teething, etc.. Now 4 hours is a fabulous night, and when she is working on a tooth, she is up every 2 hours. I finally had to stop looking at the clock and keeping track. I miss having a good sleeper, but she'll get back there some day.

Mom to: Honey (6/04) and Bunny (9/09)

User Tag List