is there a sleep regression around 18 months? Day/night nursing obesssion causing lack of sleep. - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 3 Old 11-14-2010, 01:55 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

We have coslept since birth and there have for sure been ups and downs through that time.  I (meaning DD) have officially STTN exactly twice in 19 months, but I am Ok with that.  Co-sleeping is really important to us, and also practical, as we don't have another room we can but a bed in for DD, since our bedroom is on the 2nd floor and the other bedroom is downstairs.  Her own room won't be an option for a few years at least.

For awhile I have been used to DD waking up about 1-3 times a night to nurse.  That's Ok with me.  I can't sleep while nursing so I stay awake until she is done and I can roll over.  Again, that took getting used to bu I am Ok with it.

What I am just not Ok with is for the last month (starting around 18 months old and seems to show no sign of stopping) DD has woken to nurse many, many times more than that.  I don't have a clock in the bedroom on purpose, but I suspect it's about once every 1-2 hours.  Her eyes are still closed but she moans "Mommy, mommy, nurse, nurse" and starts crying instantly even before I get the nipple in.  This has corresponded to a severe attachment phase where during the day she screams "Mommy, mommy, up, up" and only wants me to walk around carrying her, anything else makes her cry and cry or "Mommy, mommy, nurse, nurse" even if we just finished nursing 5 minutes ago.  She nurses now more than when she was 6 months old.  I assume it's part of the same issue....But what I need to know is if this is a developmental stage that is common for 18-19 month olds or if this is something unique to her?  And if so, what could be causing the day/night obsession with Mommy and nursing?

Midwife mama bellycast.gif to DD1 bouncy.gif (4.5) and DD2 h20homebirth.gif (1.5)
#2 of 3 Old 11-14-2010, 11:48 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)

Too tired to right more, but I'm up in the middle of the night with my 18m old who has decided he doesn't need to sleep more then brief periods at a time. 

There is no way to happiness, happiness is the way.
#3 of 3 Old 11-17-2010, 06:25 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Is it possible that she is uncomfortable? I find when my daughter is getting teeth, especially molars, she nurses more for comfort than usual. It could just be a short time of this before she is back to nursing less. I hope this helps :)

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page