how many times does your toddler nurse at night? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 18 Old 11-20-2010, 02:30 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Just curious.  I don't keep count by any means but I think we are averaging about 5 on a "great" night and somewhere like 10-12 on a "terrible" night.  I'm just curious where that is on the scale of normality for other mamas who co-sleep with toddlers that aren't nightweaned.  Most of my friends have nightweaned their toddlers or stopped nursing by now, or don't co-sleep so I don't really have anything to go on with comparing with them to see if our amount is normal or unusual.

I'd obviously love it to be as little as possible, as I can't sleep while she is nursing and have to wait until she is sleepy enough to pry my nipple out of her mouth to be able to go back to sleep.  But I also have the parenting ideal that I don't want to force her into anything before she is ready, so I let her keep nightnursing at this point.  I know she's not ready to give it up yet. 

She's 19 months, BTW.  Thanks!

Midwife mama bellycast.gif to DD1 bouncy.gif (4.5) and DD2 h20homebirth.gif (1.5)
#2 of 18 Old 11-20-2010, 02:42 PM

DD is also 19 months and she nurses about 5 or 6 times a night I think, which is not cool with me. :P I tried nightweaning a couple times, but it didn't work out. I'll try again in a few weeks probably.

lady.gifMama to DS banana.gif(5) and DD broc1.gif(2)

#3 of 18 Old 11-20-2010, 02:57 PM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)

Mine is 23mo. I don't really keep count. Sometimes all night it seems and sometimes only 1 or 2 times. I can nurse and sleep though, so my sanity is still intact in that regard. Bedtime is a whole nother story though because she is up and down for hours before she finally zonks out. Usually I have another one on the way by this time and hand the nursling off to daddy for bedtime cause I'm too tired but it looks like we might make it to a second birthday without another baby, so I feel like I am off on things this time. Not sure yet if I am going to nightwean her or not.

#4 of 18 Old 11-21-2010, 09:07 PM

My 16 month old will wake once an hour until we get to bed, usually, and then maybe once after that. So, the important number is that I wake up once a night to nurse her.

Ashley, Pagan treehugger.gif mama to E (6/09) and my beautiful hbac.gif baby T (4/3/12)
#5 of 18 Old 11-21-2010, 10:00 PM

My little guy is only 12 months, still nurses a ton at night. I can't keep count.

When DS1 was around 18 months, he was still waking once an hour to nurse on a good night. 

#6 of 18 Old 11-24-2010, 12:56 PM

My DD is 25 months and a "typical" night (if there is such a thing) is 2 wakings, getting back to sleep pretty quickly easily for the first, and taking longer for the 2nd.

But we are tinkering with some things right now in preparation for night weaning, so the "typical" pattern doesn't always apply. And it almost never deviates on the side of fewer night nursings. It's usually more/longer periods of nursing.

Living in Wisconsin with my partner of 20+ years and our DDenergy.gif(Born 10/09/08 ribboncesarean.gif). Why CI Mama? Because I love contact improvisation!

#7 of 18 Old 11-26-2010, 02:46 PM

DS will usually wake up once before I go to bed, then once when I go to bed and then I think he goes until morning most nights. I say 'think' because dp says he often wakes up for milk and I feed him without even waking so I can't be sure. He's 23 months.

#8 of 18 Old 11-26-2010, 08:37 PM

our 22 month old wakes anywhere from 2 to 6 times. it's rough. I haven't slept for more than 4 hours in 2 years! On a good night it's twice. With big transitions, growth spurts, teething or just a bad day it seems like every hour she wants to nurse. the morning is the roughest. she wakes up around 6am and just wants to hang out there for another hour and a half or she's really grumpy. I've tried night weaning at it wasn't happening. She made it really clear to me that she still needed it. 

#9 of 18 Old 11-27-2010, 10:24 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

I have no idea, maybe 5 right now. DD1 was still waking up every 45 minutes at this age, DD2 a little less. He does have some nights where it is only 2 or so, but that is counting after I go to sleep, I put him back down twice before I go to sleep. DS is 19m. 

There is no way to happiness, happiness is the way.
#10 of 18 Old 12-02-2010, 02:51 AM

DS is 13 months and on a good night I nurse him three times and on a bad night, more than every hour.  I have only just come to a place where I'm trying to give up on needing to change this habit and it's making it a little easier.  Two nights ago he was up twelve times and I really don't know how I made it through the day!

There is no single effort more radical in its potential for saving the world earth.gif  treehugger.gif  earth.gif than a transformation in the way we raise our children. - Marianne Williamson  familybed1.gif  nocirc.gif  slinggirl.gif   bftoddler.gif
#11 of 18 Old 12-06-2010, 10:28 AM

dd is 22 months old and some nights it's 2-3 times, other nights it seems like she *has* to have a breast in her mouth all night to stay asleep.  some nights i sleep really well, but it seems to be more and more of a frequent thing that we are just rolling back + forth from side to side because she'll want to switch breasts, and that's kind of maddening.

it is also becoming more and more common for her to wake up crying about a half hr into her naps and want to then nurse for another hr or so, and that's also frustrating.

#12 of 18 Old 12-06-2010, 11:03 AM

Some nights, it's only once...but it lasts - no lie - for over an hour. She just won't break off. I wouldn't mind, except that I get so tense that my muscles lock up and it's really uncomfortable.

Some nights, she just nurses and breaks and nurses and breaks and nurses and breaks, and it feels as though she hits about 15-20 times. I'm sure it can't really be that many, but it feels that way. I don't get much sleep those nights.

Most of the time, she has a fairly long nurse as she falls asleep - not a whole hour, but at least half an hour, I'd say. Then, she'll have another one partway through the night, which also lasts quite a while. That's generally it, although sometimes, there's one more before morning.

She's my fourth, but I weaned ds1 at only 10 months ( mecry.gif), so she's my third nursing toddler. Neither of the others nursed this much at night at her age (almost 18 months). I think nursing frequency varies a lot.

Lisa, lucky mama of Kelly (3/93) ribboncesarean.gif, Emma (5/03) ribboncesarean.gif, Evan (7/05) ribboncesarean.gif, & Jenna (6/09) ribboncesarean.gif
Loving my amazing dh, James & forever missing ribbonpb.gif Aaron Ambrose ribboncesarean.gif (11/07) ribbonpb.gif

#13 of 18 Old 12-06-2010, 11:10 AM

Often!!...LOL. Really, I don't count. I think now probably is 2 to 4 times at 25 mo.

Mama of and , partners.gif with  Love
#14 of 18 Old 12-06-2010, 11:11 AM

DS is 16 months and DH seems to keep track a bit for me... (I don't even try anymore.. stopped counting around 2 months!) and he says anywhere from 2 to 6 times a night.  I am glad to see we are not alone here. 

Just curious...

Does all your babes go to sleep any other way besides nursing?  I have tried to unlatch prior to complete sleep only to upset DS.  I have read that it is positive for babes to try to ease themselves to sleep nursing then by rocking, singing, etc...  doesn't seem to work for us. 

Any thoughts?

I had the thought to try to night wean a month or so ago because of lack of sleep and honestly family comments "So when you are done with that breastfeeding thing- he seems too old"  (geez, so ignorant) ..... decided against due to my own heart didn't agree, just didn't feel right.  I would like to nurse until he is done and through his teething.  Still going strong and really... who needs sleep, LOL!

DS has gone to sleep while being carried but not often.  He is one of those LO's that really pushes himself not to sleep!  So excited with everything else going on even when there is no stimulus. 

'09   
#15 of 18 Old 12-06-2010, 07:39 PM

DD is almost 16 months.  A good night has her nursing every 2 hours (so 5-6 times).  An amazing night has her skipping one of those, and giving me a 4-hour stretch.  A bad night, which we have a lot of lately, has her waking at least every hour, and taking 20-30 minutes to nurse/rock/whatever back down.

#16 of 18 Old 12-07-2010, 06:29 AM

DD is 15 months and I have been gradually night weaning her. She is down to nursing once or twice a night, and has actually slept thru the  night when she is in her crib. She has been in the bed with us lately because it has been so cold...she refuses blankets, and screams her head off it I try to put one on her.I think the only reason she is waking up is because she gets nudged by me or DH when we roll over. I would like to think that she would not wake to nurse at all if she was in her crib...

fly-by-nursing1.gifSAHM living on the beautiful Eastern Shore with my husband the car nut banghead.gif, and bebe Eleanor, born 9/16/09 luxlove.gif plus two kitties! cat.gif
#17 of 18 Old 12-07-2010, 06:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xantho View Post

Does all your babes go to sleep any other way besides nursing?  I have tried to unlatch prior to complete sleep only to upset DS.  I have read that it is positive for babes to try to ease themselves to sleep nursing then by rocking, singing, etc...  doesn't seem to work for us. 

Any thoughts?

I don't have a toddler yet, but my 7 month old ALWAYS pops off before fully asleep (at naps and bedtime) and then settles himself, sometimes after I leave the room.  So, he can fall asleep on his own.  But, we still have 4-8 night nursings EVERY night.  

Two moms and two boys enjoying the truth that love always wins!!!  joy.gifjoy.gifpartners.gif

#18 of 18 Old 12-07-2010, 07:17 AM

Too.fricken.much.  Usually she averages 4 times between midnight and 6 AM.  On a rough night, it's been 1 time.  1 long 6 hour nursing session. ;-)  She's almost 23 months old.  But, she's also pretty small (only 22ish pounds) and is getting really picky with her food during the day.

~Brandon Michael (11/23/03), Jocelyn Lily Nữ (2/4/07, adopted 5/28/07 from Vietnam), Amelia Rylie (1/14/09), & Ryland Josef William (9/7/05-9/7/05 @ 41 wks). 

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page