Co-sleeping and ear infections? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 4 Old 12-08-2010, 05:30 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I may not be posting this in the right place and I apologize if that's the case. My 5 month old has an ear infection :( When talking with her doctor she asked how I nursed her. I explained that at night I nurse her with us lying side-by-side. She told me I should not be doing this since it allows milk to pool somewhere in there and will make her more likely to have ear infections. Has anyone had experience with this? It's making me kinda stressed out because this is what works best for us and I do not see my little girl being okay with anything else at this point. While I would be okay with her sleeping in her own bed and not needing to nurse to sleep, I know she would not at this point. The doctor started talking about the Ferber method, but I quickly cut her off, saying there's no way I'm doing it.

So, if anyone has any insight or advice I would appreciate your input. Thanks!

#2 of 4 Old 12-08-2010, 05:59 PM

Well DS1 was bottle fed. We co sleep but I always sat up in the bed to feed him his bottle and he has had ALOT of ear infections. BTW, DS2 is fed the same way and he has never had an ear infection. IMO different kiddos get different illness growing up.

I'd "take with a grain of salt" any advice a Ped would except medical advice...how you put your LO to sleep, imo, is not a medical issue...it"s a Mama issue smile.gif

Jess  SAHM to Daniel  (09/07) and Samuel  (06/10)and Katie Lee (11/11) we're with #4 edd 4/15 Wifey to my "geek" : David  for 14 yrs. ( 4/09 @ 19 weeks).
#3 of 4 Old 12-08-2010, 06:04 PM

(nak)

I think its pretty unlikely that nursing at night is the problem - otherwise we'd be seeing more ear infections in co-sleeping than crib-sleeping babies and that just isn't the case. And as far as I know, the eustachian tubes are too far up & back to get milk into them under normal circumstances.

Happily married, with DS 08.2010
#4 of 4 Old 12-08-2010, 06:18 PM

This doctor extrapolated a bottle fact and applied it to breast-feeding. The doctor is incorrect.

http://www.kellymom.com/babyconcerns/ear-infection-nursing.html

http://www.llli.org/NB/LVAprMay98p21NB.html

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page