Ergo naps have got to end, is this a good time for transition to one nap? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 12-14-2010, 08:07 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

My son turned one last weekend.  He was a horrible sleeper for many months, and just in the past 3 weeks or so has started sleeping in his bed from 7pm until about 2-3-4, at which time I bring him to bed with us.  It was a serious challenge getting to that point with him, before he was waking every 1 hour or so.  He has been napping in the ergo on my back since he outgrew his swing around 7 months old.  Somehow my mom can get him to sleep for naps by just rocking him, but of course what works for gg doesn't work for mom.  He is 24 lbs and my feet and knees can no longer handle bouncing in the kitchen for 2 hours a day while he sleeps.  I am also more than ready for a brief break during the day, and I really need him to nap in his crib!!!

I am going to eliminate the ergo naps next week, no matter what.  I understand that they fall asleep much easier when they are good and tired at this age, so I am wondering if it would also be a good time to switch down from two naps (10am and 2pm) to one after lunch?  I can handle some transitional crankiness, I just don't want to fight to get him to nap.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-14-2010, 10:24 AM

Location: Seattle, Tucson, Austin, Baltimore. Now: Urbana, IL
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I had a catnapper that I had to hold through every nap for a long time.  She outgrew it and eventually learned to nap on her own.  But it was indicative of her sleep needs, which were less than those of her peers.  So, she transitioned to one nap around 11 months.  We would just go to the park or some other outing in the morning to push her nap until noon or one and it worked perfectly because she was ready.  I think it's worth a try if he doesn't seem tired enough to go down easily for his nap in the morning.

Mama to Avalon 1/07 waterbirth.jpg, Austin 1/10 in between uc.jpgand Avery 12/11  h20homebirth.gif
fambedsingle1.gif   femalesling.GIF   winner.jpg   cd.gif     ecbaby2.gif  novaxnocirc.gif   goorganic.jpg  

User Tag List