New baby coming soon... worried about disturbing toddler's sleep. - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 5 Old 12-20-2010, 01:43 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

First of all, let me just say how much me and DH LOVE co-sleeping! :) 

Our daughter is 2 years old and our family bed consists of mattresses on the floor of our bedroom. She is a pretty heavy sleeper and rarely wakes during the night.

We will be having our second baby in a couple of months, and I was wondering what kind of experiences other people have had with adding a newborn to the mix. I'm sure the baby will be on an erratic schedule for a while, and I don't want to disrupt my toddler's sleeping habits, but I also don't want to force her into her toddler bed before she's ready to choose on her own. 

What is the solution? Tending to the baby in a different room during the night? What did you do?

Thanks! :)

#2 of 5 Old 12-20-2010, 01:55 PM

Quoted: 13 Post(s)

I'll be taking notes! 

dust.gifFour-eyed tattooed fairy godmother queer, mama to my lucky star (5) and little bird (2.5). Resident storyteller at www.thestoryforest.com. Enchanting audiostories for curious kids. Come play in the forest!
#3 of 5 Old 12-20-2010, 04:16 PM

My daughter is 18 months and we're expecting #2 in February, I'm curious how others dealt with this. I'm setting up the toddler bed within the next few weeks to see if she's interested. Part of me hopes she isn't, I'm not ready for her to leave our bed bawling.gif

#4 of 5 Old 12-21-2010, 08:13 AM

I have a not-quite-three-year-old son and a 7mo, and we all co-sleep in a king-sized mattress. I was so worried the older ones' sleep would be disturbed by all our comings and goings and the noisy newborn, but he slept through it all like a champ!  I think in the early days he was so keyed up from excitement during the day that at night he was just dead to the world. 

I have heard a lot of people saying similar things, that it just works out.  I was anxious to plan or problem solve in advance, but it just wasn't necessary.  We all adapted. :)

Have you seen the updated user agreement yet?
#5 of 5 Old 12-21-2010, 08:22 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)

DD2 was 2 when DS was born and it did NOT work to have her continue in the same bed or same room. DD1 had been 3 when we added DD2 into the room, we had to do separate beds, DH and DD1, DD2 and I in another because DD2 was on O2, it was hard enough for me to sleep tangled up in all the tubing! The noise never bothered DD1, DD2 was just a different creature. We tried in the same bed with DH tending to her while I tended to the baby, and then different beds in the same room like we had done previously. She woke up with every little noise DS made, when he was up, so was she. We waited a few weeks hoping she would adjust, she never did. So we moved DH and her to another room so she could continue to co-sleep. She is now 4 and still can not sleep with her brother in the same room. We still have the same setup, DH and DD2, and then DS and I, but DH travels quite a bit now so often DD2 ends up in my room, and once again, every time he wakes up, so does she. eyesroll.gif

There is no way to happiness, happiness is the way.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page